Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I pray the Battle of the Five Armies is filmed OUTSIDE

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 4:21pm

Post #1 of 18 (2036 views)
Shortcut
I pray the Battle of the Five Armies is filmed OUTSIDE Can't Post

Does anyone know? Also I hope it uses at least a partially real location and a relatively large number of real combatants. The Close-up shots of Thorin and various others we got on PJ's Last day blogging (assuming they are from the BOFA) made it feel very studio based. Unsure If it ends up looking like the brief battle scenes we've seen in AUJ then I'll be most disappointed. Please, give us more like Helm's Deep, less like Azanulbizar! You can feel the studio difference so much in lighting, texture, etc..any thoughts, opinions? Thanks

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Jul 31 2013, 4:22pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 4:30pm

Post #2 of 18 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Fear you might be praying [In reply to] Can't Post

to the fishes on this one.

I feel your pain. Smile

Azanulbizar looks like a physical set on the ground and an added in cgi background. Not like the natural mountainous war field it could have been.

Missed opportunity for some impressive battle and landscape visuals.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 4:32pm

Post #3 of 18 (941 views)
Shortcut
I agree, very obvious. What a shame :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Frown
Azanulbizar looks like a physical set on the ground and an added in cgi background. Not like the natural mountainous war field it could have been.

Missed opportunity for some impressive battle and landscape visuals.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 4:35pm

Post #4 of 18 (999 views)
Shortcut
There were Azanulbizar location problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall reading that the location used in FOTR was very difficult to get to with a large crew, and so they decided to do it in a studio. I also imagine the rocky ground might have been a bit risky to film a large-scale battle scene on. As it was I love that scene and have no problems with it. But it remains to be seen what will be done with the Five Armies. Jackson mentioned filming on a set (which we didn't see), perhaps suggesting some of the battle may spill into the ruins of Erebor.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 4:35pm

Post #5 of 18 (954 views)
Shortcut
Out on the Northern Tip of Miramar.. [In reply to] Can't Post

They had the Dale set, but there was more (I think)
Room for Large shots, or Outdoor BackLot
sets within PJ's Studios.

You have to remember it's Winter in NZ,
sooo.Bomby EXPECTS a
combination of these 3 choices.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 5:18pm

Post #6 of 18 (820 views)
Shortcut
It could still be done in a studio [In reply to] Can't Post

and made to look impressive. As it is, it looks like a video game story featurette before the levels,imo.

You mean the battle on the footsteps of mount doom?

I hope there is set work for the battle. And if it takes place in winter, with rain or winter it might help give it a more nuanced look.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 18 (871 views)
Shortcut
Remember this TORN spy report? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...e-armies-in-dunedin/

I'm so hoping that was for the Battle itself ...

I absolutely agree with you about the issue of green-screen vs real locations. Somehow, CGI backgrounds tend to feel 'restrictive', no matter how realistic they are.

I'm praying with you! Tongue

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

triptrap
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 6:06pm

Post #8 of 18 (733 views)
Shortcut
so we all sit in silent prayer [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm with you 100%

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2013, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 18 (826 views)
Shortcut
I can guarantee that it will be a *bit* of both [In reply to] Can't Post

But, obviously, the majority of it has been shot in the studio(s). Take this picture from PJ's blogging in the other day - that looks like the floor is supposed to be a block of ice (lake/river ice?). They can't do that on location. Wink

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 31 2013, 6:18pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:22pm

Post #10 of 18 (754 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't notice that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing we'll get some sliding action then. The possibilities concern me Unsure It's important this battle retains a serious focus due to the tragic consequences.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 6:49pm

Post #11 of 18 (806 views)
Shortcut
In the "Elves watch Happy Hobbit reaction" video you can [In reply to] Can't Post

see that they are outside from the openings in the tent, you could see hills and machinery too, so there's to hope

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 11:41pm

Post #12 of 18 (549 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be a combination of indoor and outdoor shots.

Obviously the pick-up shots they just finished were done in a studio.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2013, 11:49pm

Post #13 of 18 (551 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas has to have something to slide down, doesn't he? Angelic

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

sycorax82
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 12:26am

Post #14 of 18 (574 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't look like we'll see anything on the scale of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

While there was plenty of CGI used in the big battles of LOTR, especially Pelennor Fields, we also got a huge chunk of location filming, the most notable being the amazing Helm's Deep set (that later became Minas Tirith) and, for one of the most impressive sequences in the trilogy, the Ride of the Rohirrim with over a hundred real horses used. I don't think we're getting anything close to that with the Battle of Five Armies.

Azanulbizar is a good indication of what to expect, methinks. Though hopefully the effect will be more polished and it won't lessen the film in any way.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 6:20am

Post #15 of 18 (483 views)
Shortcut
Grey Pilgrim, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad someone else has recognized this. While it doesn't completely kill me if something is fully studio based, there's just more realism to a scene that's shot outdoors on a set.

Honestly, I personally consider it to be location shooting, even if it is on a set. Shots inside the streets of Minas Tirith rarely ever felt like a set. It always felt like a real place because they shot it outdoors. The same goes for Helm's Deep, as well as a lot of Rivendell shots from FOTR.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Joe20
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 6:42am

Post #16 of 18 (529 views)
Shortcut
Didn't they shoot a lot of Pelennor Fields on the backlot? [In reply to] Can't Post

Under natural light? It's been a while since I watched the docos but I seem to remember that. (I know they did quite a bit on location as well). Stuff like Eowyn and the Witch King was shot on the backlot I think. It looked quite good.

So hopefully that's how they are doing much of it. (If not locations - which would be preferable.)

cartermoulton
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 10:15pm

Post #17 of 18 (322 views)
Shortcut
sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

this is sad. sitting in a beautiful place like new zealand, and shooting inside! it seems like location shooting has been de-emphasized with The Hobbit, but it's so crucial to the texture of LoTR (and of middle earth as I want to remember it). misfire.

cineaesthetic, a high-res media blog

(This post was edited by cartermoulton on Aug 1 2013, 10:21pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 11:34pm

Post #18 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
Some of it [In reply to] Can't Post

But the horse charge itself was out in a field. It's on the extra's on the RoTK disc.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.