Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What is your favorite J.R.R. Tolkien book ???
Poll: What is your favorite J.R.R. Tolkien book ???
The Lord Of The Rings -----> the best 36 / 62%
The Hobbit <3 10 / 17%
The Silmarillion <=====||=D 5 / 9%
The Children Of Hurin ^_^ 1 / 2%
Roverandom !!!! 0 / 0%
Other o_O 1 / 2%
I hate J.R.R tolkien's work :P 0 / 0%
I CAN'T CHOOSE I LOVE ALL OF THEM !!! :O 5 / 9%
MOVIES ARE BETTER !!! PJ FOREVER :D :D :D 0 / 0%
58 total votes

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 31 2013, 3:56pm

Post #1 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
What is your favorite J.R.R. Tolkien book ??? Can't Post

choose your favorite Tolkien book ... Cool

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 4:19pm

Post #2 of 13 (230 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion is great but it's a book I can only read if I'm in the mood for it. Likewise with The Hobbit-a truly magical story but fairly simple for a mature reader. The same applies to all of the others as well. The Lord of the Rings, however, I could read anytime, for all eternity....Wink

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jul 31 2013, 4:20pm)

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 5:14pm

Post #3 of 13 (228 views)
Shortcut
LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR. I can read it over and over, and never get tired of it. Smile

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:36pm

Post #4 of 13 (215 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

I was given a four-volume boxed set of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when I was young, and once I read it I loved the whole thing, but as much as I enjoyed The Hobbit I just thought LOTR was even better. That's the book I have had the greatest connection to over the years. The Silmarillion (and other posthumous works) are great too, but they're inherently limited by the fact that Tolkien never finished them. In my humble opinion, LOTR is his greatest work.

Soundchaser
The Shire

Aug 1 2013, 12:10am

Post #5 of 13 (205 views)
Shortcut
I seem to be.. [In reply to] Can't Post

in the majority so far. LOTR is my absolute favorite, and I will never tire of it.

13thHour
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 4:02am

Post #6 of 13 (264 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit was my intro to Tolkien, so it will always have a special place with me, but I read LOTR dozens of times before I ever even knew Tolkien had other books.

The Silmarillion is great, and I really wish I could truthfully say it was my favorite, but I've only read it through 2 or 3 times.

I've never read any of the other ones, although Tolkien inspired me to read tons of other stuff.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 2:46pm

Post #7 of 13 (171 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember being very very very disappointed that LOTR wasn't The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins.

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 13 (190 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is my favorite hobbit, and The Hobbit is my favorite Tolkien book. I read it first and it really made an impression.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:52pm

Post #9 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
Why do I always have to pick a favorite?? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR, though. The Silmarillion is basically an Elven history-book and I never really connected to the characters until I read HoME, the Narn, etc.

I read LOTR before The Hobbit and consequently was confused during the beginning of LOTR ("Why is everyone saying, "The eagles are coming?" I asked). Then, when I read The Hobbit, I didn't care for it at all. Now I do, but I still like LOTR better. I will always find new depth in it, no matter how old I get.

Misto
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 9:36pm

Post #10 of 13 (177 views)
Shortcut
My one true love [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings. The others are really, really nice as well (read the Hobbit, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales) but not quite up there, imo.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Aug 2 2013, 12:54am

Post #11 of 13 (135 views)
Shortcut
Shoot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can never decide! I'm still trying to decide who my favorite character is!

demnation
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 1:15am

Post #12 of 13 (153 views)
Shortcut
I was stuck between [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings and I love all of them, but then I thought that if I could only have one Tolkien book to read for the rest of my life, It would be The Lord of the Rings. I love The Silmarillion and all related background stuff, but I can't say I understand all of it. I enjoy The Hobbit well enough, I suppose, but overall I'm a little "meh" on it. In the end, I think LOTR is Tolkien's masterpiece, and most certainly what he will (continued to) be remembered for.

(This post was edited by demnation on Aug 2 2013, 1:17am)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 4 2013, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 13 (103 views)
Shortcut
Too wishy-washy to tell! [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for Roverandom (which was very good, but certainly not my favorite!), I loved all of those books and could read them several times over!!! If I have to put them in order, I might say:

Silmarillion

Lord of the Rings

Children of Hurin

The Hobbit

and

Roverandom.

All great works, though!

(This post was edited by Cuwen Maegmacil on Aug 4 2013, 8:27pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.