Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No SEE digipak... still, some design consistency

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:40am

Post #1 of 22 (1435 views)
Shortcut
No SEE digipak... still, some design consistency Can't Post

After revealing of the designs of The Hobbit: AUJ SEE, I felt confirmed in my fears expressed here.

However, it is not like the "Hobbit SEE" would be entirely on its own in terms of design. The design of the 3D version cover reminded me rather of this existing LOTR DVD edition. Do compare:

And while it is no LOTR SEE digipak, it's still somehow nice to see at least a little bit of continuity. Even if the designers of the Hobbit SEE BluRay would not rely on any imagery without the main character in it.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:48am

Post #2 of 22 (673 views)
Shortcut
Digipak still possible? [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be that we get a slipbox with a digipak inside. Have we see any pictures confirming an amaray yet?

I just hope the proposed Bilbo's Trunk edition has a more lavish packaging design. Fingers crossed.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 22 (623 views)
Shortcut
It'll be either a digipak or an amaray in a slipcase [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything else is not practicable for 5 discs.

By "No SEE digipak" I simply meant "no digipak like we used to have on LOTR SEE". :)

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jul 31 2013, 12:43pm)

Anubis
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 12:54pm

Post #4 of 22 (626 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I'm confused here... [In reply to] Can't Post

but isn't this the blu ray design? Perhaps the DVD design is different.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 3:22pm

Post #5 of 22 (545 views)
Shortcut
my thought is that [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like the Bilbo staring like a deer in the headlights part is a removable thing over the top of the nice digipak? no?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

dik-dik
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 22 (556 views)
Shortcut
TH EE design - Funny, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... while a number of people seem not too happy about the cover design choice, my first impression was a pleasant surprise. Some fans lamented the lack of Bilbo in the movies, and I found this a great way to give the main character the importance he deserves. Perhaps it's meant as a nod to the fans, which thought makes me happy inside. JMO. Smile

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2013, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 22 (487 views)
Shortcut
I much prefer this design [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here. And it's a shame they don't simply match this design. Already getting confused by the many different covers/releases.

Crazy

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 7:22pm

Post #8 of 22 (496 views)
Shortcut
Could it be that the picture of Bilbo is removable? [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be just part of the plastic covering, to make it more eye-catching on the shelves, and underneath we have a similar cover to that of the LOTR EEs.

Wishful thinking? Laugh

Then Manw and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aul; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aul, and he went on with his smith-work.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:17pm

Post #9 of 22 (442 views)
Shortcut
yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I'm thinking (hoping, wishing, waiting). Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 8:20pm

Post #10 of 22 (415 views)
Shortcut
The curse of the optimist! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Manw and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aul; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aul, and he went on with his smith-work.

DjU
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 9:19pm

Post #11 of 22 (434 views)
Shortcut
All three covers [In reply to] Can't Post

Aint it cool news has all three covers on the same page to compare;

http://www.aintitcool.com/...tm_campaign=1307_RSS

The DVD is the same style, although the image looks better than the odd Bilbo one on the 3D BluRay one and the pseudo star wars one on the BluRay

(This post was edited by DjU on Jul 31 2013, 9:19pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:22pm

Post #12 of 22 (421 views)
Shortcut
The DVD edition is amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a piece of artwork, rather than a weird photoshop or a cheesy promo shot: see here This actually matches with the LOTR ees which had artwork like this only it was on the inside of the packaging instead. Also, I feel it fits the overall feeling of AUJ when compared to the rest of the trilogy. Bright sunlight and the entire company on the Carrock...really cool (not to mention Nori is helping Dori up the step). I was really disappointed by pretty much everything about the extended editions when I saw this press release (sorry but I just don't make time for the special features Tongue), but now that I've seen the dvd edition I'm really happy and I think I'll be at least somewhat satisfied with the finished product.

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jul 31 2013, 10:26pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:06pm

Post #13 of 22 (424 views)
Shortcut
Holy guacamole! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just found this! I don't know if you guys have seen this but seeing made me very excited as it stays consistent with the LOTR EE DVDs. I didn't want to make a new thread just for this either. Smile

Anyway here is the link: http://thranduilings.tumblr.com/post/57001822842/bofurlove-m-angela1002
(The SECOND image down btw Tongue)

I simply walked into Mordor.

(This post was edited by Thranderz on Jul 31 2013, 11:07pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 22 (382 views)
Shortcut
ah [In reply to] Can't Post

now that is a proper cover, the auburn with the acorn.

Thought it appears the interior foldings are not in the same style with the art drawings...hummm...

Like the dvds ...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

DjU
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 11:39pm

Post #15 of 22 (359 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

The only concern is that is the Japanese version, there currently is no hint that the US releases would follow suit, infact, the fact that the US ones have the faux border round the poster pictures makes me think they won't.

Hopefully the UK ones look like that.

(Note; That was about the Third image down not the second one.)

The second image (the US gift set) seems to be a halfway bodge between the US normal and Japanese LotR style EE

(This post was edited by DjU on Jul 31 2013, 11:43pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:51pm

Post #16 of 22 (356 views)
Shortcut
DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's a nice cover. I really liked that shot in the film; hope it's the same on the UK release of the DVD? (my home tech hasn't got as far as Blu-Ray yet, so DVD it will have to be).
What with the different formats available now, and issues for different countries and whatnot, I am bewildered. Weren't there lots of variant covers for the AUJ theatrical release in different countries? That being so, are these three covers good for the EE in all countries or will they be different in US/UK/NZ/etc etc?

LordGawain
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 12:28am

Post #17 of 22 (365 views)
Shortcut
This picture shows a different japanese design [In reply to] Can't Post

This picture shows a different japanese design, but it is suprisingly consistent: http://24.media.tumblr.com/4f0010a37c9accd332b6c3402236eb5f/tumblr_mqtfhohFOb1snrif5o5_500.jpg

The second season of Game of Thrones first had a thin, cardboard vertical slip, and UNDER that a box that was similar to the EE DVDs from LOTR. Personally, I threw the thin vertical slipcase away, the one under it was much cooler and looked more like a special edition boxset. you can see it in this video, at 1:09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtxP96qURQ

Maybe the AUJ EE also has a cheap slipcover, with the design of the acorn underneath?

namarie
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:18am

Post #18 of 22 (261 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same [In reply to] Can't Post

But if that's the case it would've made more sense for WB to release a photo of the cover ( if it's more consistent with the LOTR covers) and not of the package.

It would've been a better marketing move from my point of view.

So maybe it's just wishful thinking. But you never know Smile

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

namarie
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:27am

Post #19 of 22 (252 views)
Shortcut
Looks good :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

namarie
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:28am

Post #20 of 22 (251 views)
Shortcut
I just saw the posts below :)) // [In reply to] Can't Post

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 10:22am

Post #21 of 22 (240 views)
Shortcut
Super! // [In reply to] Can't Post

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 5:21pm

Post #22 of 22 (226 views)
Shortcut
Best case scenario for hobbit ee. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it would somehow work, the best case scenario for the extended edition IMO would be the following.

1. Buy the dvd edition with the artwork of the company on the Carrock at a store.
2. Order the outer casing of this Japanese version through a private seller on ebay or amazon.
3. Slide the Carrock picture dvd edition into the hard cover (if it fits).

Voila! The perfect Extended Edition package. Tongue

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.