Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Comparing Apples and Oranges

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 4 2013, 3:50pm

Views: 103
Shortcut
Comparing Apples and Oranges [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't judge the success of the Hobbit films based on a comparison with the LOTR films. It is a different time, and they are two completely different works. Certainly a good argument could be made that the LOTR films were commercially more successful that the Hobbit films so far (and definitely in terms of critical acclaim), but that is irrelevant to the question of whether AUJ's commercial performance was "weak" as you claimed. It was not weak. It was a big success. It just wasn't as big of a success as *you* wanted it to be.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Subject User Time
So the Hobbit would have been a real failure if they stuck with two films?? boldog Send a private message to boldog Jul 31 2013, 10:11am
    Quality is better than quantity. jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jul 31 2013, 10:16am
    Not quite... MediaMalable Send a private message to MediaMalable Jul 31 2013, 10:17am
        It's definitely the case that the two-film version would still have had these pick-ups Rohirrim Rider Send a private message to Rohirrim Rider Jul 31 2013, 12:56pm
    There's no need to cram in everything you can possibly find Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Jul 31 2013, 10:35am
    Pick ups Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Jul 31 2013, 10:42am
    Boldog, I think you're mistaken. Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 31 2013, 12:05pm
    I find it hard to believe there would have been no Battle of 5 Armies in a 2-movie version... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Jul 31 2013, 3:45pm
    Failure is a funny thing. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jul 31 2013, 4:19pm
        Of course we can only guess. // Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jul 31 2013, 4:20pm
    If the studio had remained firm on filming two movies... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 31 2013, 4:40pm
        Not true DjU Send a private message to DjU Jul 31 2013, 11:56pm
            I'm not saying that there wouldn't have been reshoots in 2013... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 1 2013, 2:24pm
                Like DjU, I remember hearing that the BoFA was always intended to be shot this summer Noria Send a private message to Noria Aug 1 2013, 2:53pm
                    I can believe that plans might have changed by the time the third block of filming began... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 1 2013, 3:02pm
    ... kbdiggity Send a private message to kbdiggity Jul 31 2013, 11:45pm
    I'm fine with the length it is... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Aug 1 2013, 2:24am
    Impossibe to tell... zombywoof Send a private message to zombywoof Aug 1 2013, 5:06am
        Agree with this statement... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Aug 1 2013, 2:47pm
            Two or three Hobbit films Noria Send a private message to Noria Aug 1 2013, 3:04pm
            He could have well used 3 films to tell the tail but... nuck Send a private message to nuck Aug 3 2013, 5:30pm
                I wouldn't have thought that any film.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2013, 6:57pm
                    I have a feeling that Jackson planned for 3 films all along... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Aug 3 2013, 7:44pm
                        So many? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2013, 8:04pm
                    More talking and fewer explosions nuck Send a private message to nuck Aug 3 2013, 9:01pm
                        But the flight through Moria was heavily CGI... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 3 2013, 10:02pm
                Despicable Me 2 has still earned well over $300 million less than AUJ Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 3 2013, 8:27pm
                    Depends on where you set the bar. nuck Send a private message to nuck Aug 3 2013, 10:58pm
                        If you want to make comparisons Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 4 2013, 12:16am
                            Are we talking about the same thing? nuck Send a private message to nuck Aug 4 2013, 3:07pm
                                Comparing Apples and Oranges Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Aug 4 2013, 3:50pm
                I hope you are not just counting the US Box Office patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Aug 3 2013, 9:56pm
                    Ooops sorry (typo) I meant there quarters of the Box Office was from Outside the US patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Aug 3 2013, 10:50pm
                        The LOTR was also Kiwi Anglo nuck Send a private message to nuck Aug 3 2013, 11:37pm
    Even worse, a one-film version! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 1 2013, 4:30pm
        Well, PJ never liked the part of the book after that... Brandybuckled Send a private message to Brandybuckled Aug 1 2013, 5:36pm
            If galadriel is so amazing and badass, pardon my french, Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Aug 1 2013, 8:55pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.