The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
The Seven Samurai versus the Nine Ringwraiths

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 4 (578 views)
Shortcut
The Seven Samurai versus the Nine Ringwraiths Can't Post

Hobbits have hired The Seven Samurai to defend Hobbiton against the Nazgul.

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 7:27pm

Post #2 of 4 (439 views)
Shortcut
Ringwraiths all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

No chance seven samurai can hold them off even though they're *the* Seven Samurai ...Cool

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 8:48pm

Post #3 of 4 (456 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I have to go with the Nine [In reply to] Can't Post

The samurai might be able to acquit themselves with honor, but the Wraiths would ultimately carry the day.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2013, 3:09am

Post #4 of 4 (572 views)
Shortcut
Not so fast, Ringwraiths. [In reply to] Can't Post

These guys are samurai. (Its been a while since I've watched the Kurosawa film. I'm sure the actual seven samurai were differentiated and each had his particular strengths and weaknesses. For purpose of this post I'd like to impute that each of them has all the training available to the samurai of their time. Its only fair, if we pit them against supernatural beings.)

I imagine and expect they are resourceful enough to figure out that the Nine's robed forms can be burned. From afar. At least some of the Seven would have expertise in the samurai art of kyudo (archery). Fire arrows anyone? Down they go, and from too far for the Black Breath to have any effect. Bye bye Black Riders (temporarily).

And if any of the Nine happened to get close enough for sword against sword I'd bet on the guys trained in iaijutsu (drawing), kenjutsu (fencing), and battojutsu (cutting). Plus I'd bet the samurai can use torches if needed.

Another case can be made that the samurai might be so disciplined and dedicated that they could resist the Nazgul's aura of fear. They are trained for it. At least they should have a savings throw bonus. Cool

of course any victory over the Nine would be temporary until the One is unmade. Same like anybody. But it would take a while for the Nine to return with new physical forms and mounts.

Maybe the Nazgul come back riding winged Fell Beasts. Time for another archery demonstration!

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.