Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Were there a lot more video logs for Two Towers and Return of T King than it seems there will be for Desolation- Smaug?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 2:33am

Post #1 of 10 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Were there a lot more video logs for Two Towers and Return of T King than it seems there will be for Desolation- Smaug? Can't Post

I know the times were different. . . but were there less than four vlogs for either of those films? An Unexpected Journey had about 11. Presuming that the next one for Smaug releases in August, it will still probably be the last one, with a new trailer most likely arising in October and everything else being just the wait for film 2. Will the third movie have any videoblogging at all>?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 3:52am

Post #2 of 10 (600 views)
Shortcut
There weren't any at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ didn't start making them until King Kong.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 29 2013, 3:52am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 29 2013, 4:57am

Post #3 of 10 (533 views)
Shortcut
Video log? What's a video log, Precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

We considered ourselves lucky to get trailers! Jackson had an intense course in the power of an active fan base, and has learned that lesson well. These video logs are amazing.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 5:19am

Post #4 of 10 (575 views)
Shortcut
promotional media was handled differently [In reply to] Can't Post

to get a taste of what it was like, visit the old LOTR movie site.

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index.html

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 5:54am

Post #5 of 10 (504 views)
Shortcut
I actually remember the old site. It used to be in my favouites. I used to visit it, very slowly [In reply to] Can't Post

on dialup. lol It seemed that he kept logs or diaries of some sort. . . perhaps they only made it into documentaries? What can I tell you. I have forgotten much that I knew, and learned much that I had forgotten."

So An Unexpected is the only thing to measure by. . . yet that was the first film so it skews expectation. I suppose we will just have to see what comes, though I have trouble seeing any more for this film after the next one releases in August or September (one would imagine).
I still wonder if there will be any at all for the last movie.

In Reply To
to get a taste of what it was like, visit the old LOTR movie site.

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index.html

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 8:29am

Post #6 of 10 (444 views)
Shortcut
There were featurettes on lordoftherings.net [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally consider them as a kind of a predecessor to the video blog format.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 29 2013, 10:20am

Post #7 of 10 (342 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that was a blast from the past. Thanks, Magpie // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 29 2013, 10:23am

Post #8 of 10 (401 views)
Shortcut
What's more interesting is how many Production Videos we had for AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't counted, but this time last year I'm certain there were waaayy more videos out. Not just videos, but promotional material of any kind! They're keeping very tight-lipped about DoS to say the least.

I think September we'll start seeing the marketing begin to bloom.

DjU
Lorien

Jul 29 2013, 5:17pm

Post #9 of 10 (264 views)
Shortcut
The mistake people are making [In reply to] Can't Post

The slight mistake people a making are the first 10 VBLOGs (the ones considered AUJ's) spanned the best part of 20 months and did deal with concepts and ideas that did ultimately expand slightly past AUJ, we were never going to get that many for DoS which has about half the time for blog and trailers - if you split the concept down to the years of production then they look a little more evenly spread.

VLOG 01 - Start of Production - 14 April 2011
VLOG 02 - Location Scouting - 9 July 2011
VLOG 03 - Shooting Block One - 20 July 2011
VLOG 04 - Filming in 3D - 4 November 2011
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Teaser Trailer - 21 December 2011
VLOG 05 - Locations Part 1 - 23 December 2011

VLOG 06 - Locations Part 2 - 1 March 2012
VLOG 07 - Stone St. Studios Tour - 6 June 2012
VLOG 08 - Wrap of Principal Photography - 23 July 2012
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Trailer 2 - 19 September 2012
VLOG 09 - Post-production Overview - 24 November 2012
VLOG 10 - Wellington World Premiere - 14 December 2012

LIVE EVENT 2013 - March 2013
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Teaser Trailer - 11 June
VLOG 11 - Pick Ups - 1 July
VLOG 12 - Pick Ups Wrap - Due Soon
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trailer 2 - Likely
VLOG 13 - Post-production Overview - More than Likely
VLOG 14 - World Premiere - More than Likely

There is a a slim possibility of another VBLOG between the one that is probably going to be out in the next month and a possible trailer later in the year but I wouldn't really expect one unless there was an AUJ Extended Edition Announcement Trailer? - similar to what was on the LotR Theatrical DVDs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvacxw-RZBs

LIVE EVENT 2014 - Potentially???
The Hobbit: There and Back Again Teaser Trailer
SUMMER VLOGs - With No Planned Filming this makes one less likely but they might a delve into the archive from principal shooting and pickups???
The Hobbit: There and Back Again Trailer 2
VLOG - Post-production Overview - Likely
VLOG - World Premiere - Likely

(This post was edited by DjU on Jul 29 2013, 5:23pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 7:05am

Post #10 of 10 (138 views)
Shortcut
Not to forget VLOG 8a [In reply to] Can't Post

...which was shown at ComicCon 2012 and included material from DOS/TABA. It was released on a French website and removed by Warner.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.