Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More Dwarven singing in DOS?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 12:28am

Post #26 of 28 (101 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Bruinen and Na Vedui! [In reply to] Can't Post

I listened to the link. As performed it is hymn-like (just as you say Bruinen). If it was more chant-like maybe the rhymes would really flow. A lovely piece in any case.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 12:12am

Post #27 of 28 (60 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Ensemble [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Tolkien Ensemble aimed to do a version of all the songs and poems in LOTR. They're mostly Danish people, and one of the composers/performers was British.

There were about 4 albums - "An Evening in Rivendell" is the first, and they all have Rivendell in the title - but they've done a reissue with the songs in a different order more recently. There are some really good tracks. "There is an inn, a merry old inn" is a really good comic one and "Troll sat alone"; the Ents and Entwives duet is very haunting; and Galadriel's song; and the Beren and Luthien one ...

The original albums had some rather nice black and white illustrations by the Queen of Denmark who was a Tolkien fan.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 2:02am

Post #28 of 28 (83 views)
Shortcut
Well found. Is that Christopher Lee singing? I see his name on the album [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it could be. Awesome, if so!

In Reply To
http://www.ouvirmusica.com.br/...is-acessadas/2499891

The Song of Durin, performed by the Tolkien Ensemble. Poem appears in FotR, Chapter 4, A Journey in the Dark.

Gimli sings this in Moria, the night before they find Balin's tomb. (It's fair to say that Thorin and Co. would have also known this song, however.)

Tolkien describes it as a chant. The Tolkien Ensemble performs it more like a hymn--though the treatment of each stanza varies nicely.

I did particularly like how they've done the last stanza (the world is grey, the mountains cold...)--would totally love to hear RA sing that deep bass acapella...with the last two lines sung by the company. Heart

And of course, in FotR, Sam particularly liked the line "in Moria, in Khazad Dum."

Thanks for sharing, Na Vedui! Very cool.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.