Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A significant image? (Spoilerish)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 28 2013, 2:20am

Post #26 of 45 (403 views)
Shortcut
Is it Kili/Fili-related? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if this is the countenance of death. Has Thorin passed here?
It's hard to get a read, but what might the eyes say? Thoughts?

As far as the farewell line to Bilbo, I think it makes sense in the book as
it conveys an acceptance of the situation. It goes to inform the immediacy
that underlies Thorin's existence from the start of the journey. It seems indicative of an
in-the-moment demeanor, which, I think, is apt considering the temperament
of Thorin's supposed character. But if not 'farewell,' what could be his last words?

I'm trying to think back to an earlier conversation between the two or first impressions. I
wonder if this might figure into the final summation. What about the speech between Thorin
and Balin in Bag End? Perhaps it has something to do with answering the call.
What are your thoughts on the last lines if not the original?

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Jul 28 2013, 2:22am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2013, 2:21am

Post #27 of 45 (339 views)
Shortcut
I hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I would like it to be the last scene for the two together as well. I hope they show Bilbo putting a blanket over his head and crying too. That would totally make the scene complete.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 28 2013, 2:52am

Post #28 of 45 (362 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I *still* tear up whenever I read that line in the book! Unsure As for "Farewell," I'm not sure what else there really would be to say when you're dying... Doubtless they'll come up with something, though. As long as that one line is in there...

That being said, I did find Boromir's death in the movie to be one of the most powerfully moving parts in the whole trilogy. *sniff* Changed my opinion of the character entirely.

Bean certainly did Boromir justice as did the writers of his lines.

I think it will be something similar with Armitage and just as good and may contain enough of Tolkiens original lines to make it really special

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:08am

Post #29 of 45 (333 views)
Shortcut
I agree with it being best on screen that way - sorry, I was unclear [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo with Thorin at the end, absolutely. I hope and fully expect it; they may add more dialogue between those two potentially before the last, pivotal lines is what I was thinking - didn't perhaps express that very well; simply contemplating scene length form the writing perspective. I would not want to see anyone else added either.
And I don't stand firmly by any means to my text interpretation upthread. It is merely an impression. The power of the scene will be with Thorin and Bilbo together certainly. Angelic

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 28 2013, 3:11am

Post #30 of 45 (326 views)
Shortcut
I'm not talking about on screen (even if this the Hobbit film board) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm talking about the book as written by Tolkien. It doesn't make sense to me to add in a scene that doesn't appear, and that seems to contradict what Tolkien wrote.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:16am

Post #31 of 45 (312 views)
Shortcut
Didn't intend to imply another scene. Apologies. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:27am

Post #32 of 45 (333 views)
Shortcut
Good IDEA..Bomby Needz... [In reply to] Can't Post

3D Glasses W/WindShield Wipers?

Tokeep the Tears at Bay?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 28 2013, 3:29am

Post #33 of 45 (309 views)
Shortcut
No need for apologies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 28 2013, 3:42am

Post #34 of 45 (378 views)
Shortcut
He looks so vulnerable in this close-up [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to contemplate what they are seeing. Frown

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2013, 4:01am

Post #35 of 45 (417 views)
Shortcut
iconic scene with Thorin and Bilbo-spoilers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone think that it is possible that iconic scene with Thorin and Bilbo on Thorin's deathbed may actually happen on the battlefield?

I know in the book Beorn carries him off the battlefield before he dies, and Bilbo and him exchange words in a tent, but does that seem like something PJ&co would do?

Perhaps Beorn carries Thorin's body off the field after his last words to Bilbo?

I think, if done correctly, battlefield words may impact the audience a bit more, with the raw emotion still fresh.

Plus, I highly doubt Bilbo is going to be unconscious for most of the battle like in the book (similar problem with barrels, I suppose. Seeing barrels bobbing in the water for ten minutes might be doing the book justice, but it would be very inefficient in a cinematic setting).

So, if he is conscious through the battle, maybe he will see the demise of the elder line of Durin as well from a distance?

Respectful thoughts encouraged Smile

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 28 2013, 5:08am

Post #36 of 45 (358 views)
Shortcut
awake [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya a minor deviation from canon like Bilbo being awake wouldn't bother me, and I could see PJ letting Bilbo having a minor hero moment taking out a big goblin with Sting as well

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 28 2013, 8:52am

Post #37 of 45 (355 views)
Shortcut
I have seen some art *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

In this particular drawing Thorin is clutching the Arkenstone and Thranduil is holding him up with tears running down his face. This drawing is incredibly moving and I would love to see a small interaction between the two characters where Thranduil admits to being a bit of an ass with Thorin and regrets it.

I will link you to where I found it so I can do it justice, limiting it to 48KB wouldn't be fair. I think you will all agree it's fantastic!

Link: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Time-I-was-on-my-way-345716790

I simply walked into Mordor.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 10:45am

Post #38 of 45 (323 views)
Shortcut
TOSS in Howard's most "Death" type of Music? [In reply to] Can't Post

&...we are gunna sooo upset?

Howard won't FAIL us Now!

"Howard Shore's Score will Soar"

He will send us
ALL..to Valinor

Bomby

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:14pm

Post #39 of 45 (236 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link Thranderz! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 28 2013, 6:03pm

Post #40 of 45 (208 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome, Brethil! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply walked into Mordor.

Nira
Lorien

Jul 28 2013, 7:59pm

Post #41 of 45 (198 views)
Shortcut
Nice pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a scene like that would be fantastic. I'm confident they will do something similar in the movie.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Nira
Lorien

Jul 28 2013, 8:04pm

Post #42 of 45 (187 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree. I would like it to be the last scene for the two together as well. I hope they show Bilbo putting a blanket over his head and crying too. That would totally make the scene complete.

Bilbo crying under a blanket...I hope so. I would die of cuteness & sadness overload! Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 8:53pm

Post #43 of 45 (200 views)
Shortcut
That is a kinda beautiful picture. Really. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In this particular drawing Thorin is clutching the Arkenstone and Thranduil is holding him up with tears running down his face. This drawing is incredibly moving and I would love to see a small interaction between the two characters where Thranduil admits to being a bit of an ass with Thorin and regrets it.

I will link you to where I found it so I can do it justice, limiting it to 48KB wouldn't be fair. I think you will all agree it's fantastic!

Link: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Time-I-was-on-my-way-345716790

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 4:02pm

Post #44 of 45 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oh, man. [In reply to] Can't Post

I"m already tearing up just *thinking* about what Howard Shore will have in store for us during these scenes!

Frown Unsure

(We really need a little face with tears for this occasion!)

In fact, the other day I was just playing, "Into the West," on the piano and I happened to think of the whole, "Child of the kindly West," scene... and I just sort of broke down and started sobbing at the piano. So I have no doubts whatever Howard Shore will come up with for this will be absolutely and beautifully heart-breaking.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 4:06pm

Post #45 of 45 (139 views)
Shortcut
Two years is too long to wait, knowing all this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought it would be so hard, waiting and just knowing what's coming... It's so sad.

Kleenex... you have that absolutely right, Bomby. I think I shall have to bring several boxes... just for myself. Other members of the family shall have to bring their own boxes, as well. I'll probably miss anything that happens after those scenes because I'll be crying so hard I'll be asked to leave the theater.

I probably won't be alone in that, though... Unsure

It does show how much we love them, yes. Couldn't help but love Fili and Kili; I did in the book. I was determined not to like Thorin going into the movie. ...It happened anyway. I love all the Dwarves, actually, And to see what will happen to them and the reactions of those that are left... I know I will feel their pain.

*sits down and joins the sentimental blubbering idiots club*

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.