Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict's Presence in AUJ

vexx801
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 3:14pm

Post #1 of 16 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Benedict's Presence in AUJ Can't Post

Hey folks - question on the mind. I noted that Benedict is credited in AUJ's end credits, but (unless he physically appears in the EE), why was he credited? I recognize that he voiced and did mo-cap for the Necromancer, and judging by some of Jackson's comments we'll be seeing Sauron in the ancient past and also how he gets to the point where he is in LotR, but in AUJ, do we have ogficial confirmation that the shadowy form is actual mo-cap, or is Benedict simply credited when the Necromancer speaks and says "Radagast" and although layered, sounds like Cumby's voice?

In other words, I'm asking if we have any official confirmation of the extent of Benedict's presence in the film.

vincent_1988

Jul 26 2013, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 16 (620 views)
Shortcut
i think the end credits is official [In reply to] Can't Post

i think the end credits is official

vexx801
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 3:45pm

Post #3 of 16 (605 views)
Shortcut
Extent of Benedict's Presence [In reply to] Can't Post

Understood - but I'm also curious about the extent of his involvement - is it just the voice? Is it just a complete CGI crafted shadow form or is that actually Benedict via motion capture? I realize he has a presence, which is confirmed by the credits. Simply curious if we know if its just the voice or form or both.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 16 (545 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he mo-capped the shadow in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all his mo-cap scenes were shot after AUJ was finished shooting Smile
All he did in AUJ was the voice I believe

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 16 (540 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch plays Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug was in AUJ, if only briefly. That would explain his name in the credits. The Necromancer was also in AUJ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 4:12pm

Post #6 of 16 (563 views)
Shortcut
Somehow ... I can't believe the black blob in AUJ was Cumberbatch. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is generic CGI, surely, and not the result of masterful mo-capping that bought as Gollum and the Trolls. We did hear the Necromancer speak, so perhaps that's why he was credit. (And/or, we will see more of the Necromancer in the extended edition, and it saves changing the credits.)

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 16 (478 views)
Shortcut
We heard his voice, therefore getting him a sneaky credit [In reply to] Can't Post

He is credited as 'The Necromancer' so it's not Smaug's prologue appearance that got his name in the credits.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 16 (433 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about the Necromancer's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever the black blob was (and I agree that it seems pointless to mocap something like that), there was a bit of the Necromancer's voice in the background of that scene. The end credits are largely determined by contract obligations though, and it's possible that Cumberbatch's contract required that he receive recognition for all three films.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 12:51am

Post #9 of 16 (348 views)
Shortcut
He spoke? [In reply to] Can't Post

How did I miss that? I didn't hear him say Radagast's name. That would be uber-creepy. Wink I just heard a whispered hiss. Does he really say Radagast?
Also, I thought the shadow form was an outline of Benedict, only because it looked to be about the same height and girth as Benedict. I could be wrong, but it looked like his shape.

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Jul 27 2013, 12:53am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 1:00am

Post #10 of 16 (326 views)
Shortcut
I thought so too [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was ben in a percap suit just standing there and his voice.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 1:48pm

Post #11 of 16 (204 views)
Shortcut
I missed the voice at first too [In reply to] Can't Post

But when you go back and watch the scene, if you pay close attention he definitely whispers "Radagast" in a broken voice similar to how Sauron and the wraiths whisper when Frodo wears the Ring in FotR.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 4:10pm

Post #12 of 16 (175 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

the subtitles indicate that the Necromancer says, "Radagast," and he sounds appropriately like one of the Nazgul as he does so. I too thought he was just hissing the first time I saw AUJ, but later viewings showed me otherwise.

Yeah, I've watched the movie with subtitles. Multiple times. Sigh. I obviously need something else to do with my time, but I'm impenitent. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 4:52pm

Post #13 of 16 (207 views)
Shortcut
ZIG..someone HERE posted that it IS... in the SubTitles [In reply to] Can't Post

in foreign language Versions...

"RAADaGASTzzz..."
Bomby sooo loves the Shot of him
running away from DG
with Bats flying behind him...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 6:10pm

Post #14 of 16 (158 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This gives me an excuse to watch the movie again. Cool This time, I will pay close attention.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 6:12pm

Post #15 of 16 (175 views)
Shortcut
I love that shot too [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I know Radagast hears his name from the Necromancer, it just adds more significance to him running away and the bats flying after him. The bats made me think of Dracula!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 10:35pm

Post #16 of 16 (196 views)
Shortcut
Where is Sir Christopher Lee when we need him? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.