Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg son of Azog?

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 12:24pm

Post #1 of 15 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Bolg son of Azog? Can't Post

Hi all
What is the role of blog in the rest of the movies? He will be portrayed as the son of Azog correct? How and when does Azog and blog meet their end?
Sorry for the questions, been away for quite some time

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 1:09pm

Post #2 of 15 (577 views)
Shortcut
HEAVY SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg will meet his end after killing thorin fili or kili, or more then one of them, and then being killed by beorn, in BOFA. Azog, we do not know, we will see!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 8:26pm

Post #3 of 15 (332 views)
Shortcut
Of course, that's assuming PJ follows the book's version of the storyline... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Lio
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 11:34pm

Post #4 of 15 (313 views)
Shortcut
What we know about Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie-wise, not all that much yet but here's what's official.

From his action figure description, Bolg is the torturer at Dol Guldur. His relationship with Azog is also confirmed. Because the toy came in a two-pack with Gandalf, it's been speculated that the two fight each other at some point. Finally, PJ has indeed confirmed that Bolg will appear in DoS.

As far as I know, anything more is speculation at this point. Wink

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2013, 5:40am

Post #5 of 15 (290 views)
Shortcut
Continuing with the SPOILER... I have a feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since the book doesn't mention how Fili and Kili die, we will have Azog kill them. After this Thorin kills Azog, which gets Bolg in a vengeful frenzy that leads him to deal Thorin his deathblow, finally leading to Beorn killing Bolg.

So pretty much the ending from the book.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 27 2013, 5:41am)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 9:30am

Post #6 of 15 (234 views)
Shortcut
But it is essential that ... *Spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili die in an attempt to save a mortally wounded Thorin ... that simply *has* to remain unchanged - it's such a powerful scene that way ... *fingers crossed!*

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 7:45am

Post #7 of 15 (178 views)
Shortcut
I really hope they will have a better sense of timing than to drag Azog into film three. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let him meet his proper appointed date in two, give Bolg his motivation whilst also giving Thorin his victorious moment, rather than cramming it in to a hectic, condensed killing frenzy, where one momentous event can barely be absorbed for the one that follows it.

In Reply To
... since the book doesn't mention how Fili and Kili die, we will have Azog kill them. After this Thorin kills Azog, which gets Bolg in a vengeful frenzy that leads him to deal Thorin his deathblow, finally leading to Beorn killing Bolg.

So pretty much the ending from the book.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 28 2013, 8:01am

Post #8 of 15 (163 views)
Shortcut
I hope you are right AO [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a bad feeling Legolas or Beorn are going to be the ones who do in Azog, although I hope it's Thorin (or even a stretch Dain)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 15 (147 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean. Maybe Azog will be bold and fool enough to persue [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin to The Lonely Mountain . .. fight ensues while Bilbo is within.. . during the fight, Smaug shakes the mountain with his fury, Azog turns his head in surprise, and Thorin wastes no time. lol

In Reply To
I have a bad feeling Legolas or Beorn are going to be the ones who do in Azog, although I hope it's Thorin (or even a stretch Dain)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 28 2013, 10:20pm

Post #10 of 15 (137 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if Azog is silly enough to go and hang about outside the Lonely Mountain looking for Dwarves, maybe Smaug will up and fry him for second breakfast when he goes on the rampage. Then history will be back on course (more or less) for BOFA Wink

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 3:14am

Post #11 of 15 (132 views)
Shortcut
Where is Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin to The Lonely Mountain . .. fight ensues while Bilbo is within.. . during the fight, Smaug shakes the mountain with his fury, Azog turns his head in surprise, and Thorin wastes no time. lol

In Reply To

Where is Dain in all of this, not word of Bily Connely in NZ for filming BOFA, and he is geeitng on a bit for too much action. Maybe as a general from afar on his big pig.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 4:39pm

Post #12 of 15 (84 views)
Shortcut
I was about to suggest that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an anticlimatic end for Azog would surely please some people around here, right?? Wink

And I watched AUJ again last night, finally trying to pay attention to which hand Azog uses to swing his mace. Surprise, surprise! It's almost always in his right hand, even at Azanulbizar. When he first jumps at Thorin, it's in his right. He starts swinging it with both hands for a moment (right about the point when Thorin picks up the oaken branch, I think). He holds it in his left hand for just one moment, right before Thorin hacks off his hand.

Not as much support for my ambidextrous-Azog theory as I though, but I'll still believe it. Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2013, 5:32pm

Post #13 of 15 (81 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's looking more and more as though Billy's role will simply be a cameo. With John Callen's apparent confirmation that Thorin does indeed battle it out with Azog at the Bo5A, it seems as though Thorin will get the victory over Azog that the "audience demands", leaving Bolg to kill off the heirs of Durin, and then be finished by Beorn, as in the book - no room for Dain.... Frown

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2013, 5:57pm

Post #14 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
Why shold Dain play an important role in the film? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean he is only supposed to become king under the mountain for gods sake!!!!!! Mad UnsureMad

Why should that be important when they can expand characters like Azog and Radagast who weren't even in the book. Unsure OR Make up even more story than actually adapting what Tolkien wrote Unsure

At this point we'll have to wait and see what Dain Ironfoot's involvement will be and how big a part he plays, But for someone who was hoping Dain would be an important character, although not a major one. I personally think his role in this film will be a let down compared to what was actually written about him by the great professor Crazy...

I mean he only becomes King under the Mountain after all, well in Tolkien's world he does, who knows about Jackson's Unsure

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 6:25pm

Post #15 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't despair of Dain just yet.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't have thought that they would cast someone like Billy Connolly if there wasn't much of a part for him to play. If it's just a walk-on at the end anyone could have done it, they wouldn't have bothered to pay to transport someone all the way from here.

We are only a third of the way through yet, there's a long way to go.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.