Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Spam, spam, spam, bikini and spam.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 12:51am

Post #26 of 39 (162 views)
Shortcut
Eeek! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reminiscing with my cousin recently, and remembering some sort of family joke where the person would say, "What's for dinner?" and the reply would be, "Pork chops and apple sauce," in a silly voice. We couldn't remember the origin of it. Could it be The Brady Bunch? The mind boggles!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:28am

Post #27 of 39 (153 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, he says it in a weird way Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was reminiscing with my cousin recently, and remembering some sort of family joke where the person would say, "What's for dinner?" and the reply would be, "Pork chops and apple sauce," in a silly voice. We couldn't remember the origin of it. Could it be The Brady Bunch? The mind boggles!

"Pork shops and apple shaush." I can't quite remember but it was I think supposed to be like a 30's 'noir/gangster' accent. (?) I have no idea why. Mind-boggles - yes.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 2:21am

Post #28 of 39 (171 views)
Shortcut
Well isn't that swell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who would have thought that I would find the answer to the origin of an obscure rural NZ 70's family joke on a Tolkien website in 2013. Laugh

And here it is: Pork chops and apple sauce. You are right about the 'gangster' accent. And it even comes with a handy message about being yourself.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2013, 2:57am

Post #29 of 39 (185 views)
Shortcut
It's a Humphrey Bogart accent [In reply to] Can't Post

The line he listens to on the tv at the beginning isn't from a real Bogart line but a similar line was spoken by Lauren Bacall in a Bogart film.

As to why...

In the 1971 episode "The Personality Kid" (aka "Porkchops and Applesauce" unofficially), middle son Peter is having problems because friends think he is boring. He tries a Bogie-like personality after seeing a movie on TV in which a Bogie-styled character says, "If you want me, sweet-heart, just whistle." Peter tries talking like our favorite actor, after asking Mom (Carol) and Alice what was for dinner that night. The meal was going to be 'porkchops and applesauce.' Peter says it a few times trying to imitate Bogie, with a whistling sound on the esses, and an 'sh' sound. ("porkchopsh and appleshause"). When Dad (Mike) asks Carol "What's for dinner?" she also imitates Bogie.

Carol (to Mike): "Guess who's coming to dinner?"
Mike: "A psychiatrist, I hope."
Carol (as Peter walks in): "I think it's Humphrey Bogart."
Peter tells Mike: "We're having 'porkchopsh and appleshaush."
Mike: "There's only one Humphrey Bogart. Doubt there'll ever be another one."

http://bogart-tribute.net/injokes.shtml

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2013, 3:06am

Post #30 of 39 (158 views)
Shortcut
My generation grew up with cartoons filmed in the 30s, and 40s [In reply to] Can't Post

They were filled with references to movies and real life movie stars. I was a bit flabbergasted to watch the original movies as an adult and finally *get* the references. The most shocking was to watch Casablanca. I never knew all those famous quotes were from that movie. I only knew them from cartoons or maybe variety comedy shows and the like.

Here's the reference I got (as an adult) from my childhood.

My Dad didn't swear a *lot* but he did swear and he had strong opinions (gee, I bet that doesn't surprise people who know me). Anyhow, when he thought someone was particularly stupid, he would say, "He doesn't know sh!t from Shinola."

I guess I didn't think about it a lot but if I did, I thought Shinola was just a made up word that didn't mean anything in particular.

Then, I ran across one of these one day in the thrift store:

and I suddenly got what that saying meant.

Of course, I had to buy the tin. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 4:07am

Post #31 of 39 (146 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this the most useful place?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link Starling...! Felt like I was six there for a few minutes!!!!! Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 4:12am

Post #32 of 39 (144 views)
Shortcut
Amazing I'm speechless. All these years I never really got that reference. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the age when I was watching Brady Bunch I had no frame of reference to Bogey I suppose! And that exchange is pretty funny...

Carol (to Mike): "Guess who's coming to dinner?"
Mike: "A psychiatrist, I hope."
Carol (as Peter walks in): "I think it's Humphrey Bogart."
Peter tells Mike: "We're having 'porkchopsh and appleshaush."
Mike: "There's only one Humphrey Bogart. Doubt there'll ever be another one."

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 4:20am

Post #33 of 39 (144 views)
Shortcut
Nor did I know Shinola was a real thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

That expression *does* make a lot more sense now.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 5:05am

Post #34 of 39 (130 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes, [In reply to] Can't Post

feeling like you're six again is a very good thing. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 5:14am

Post #35 of 39 (150 views)
Shortcut
That's a great story. // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:29pm

Post #36 of 39 (121 views)
Shortcut
You have to refer to the older generation....creak, creak.....\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:46pm

Post #37 of 39 (117 views)
Shortcut
According to teen son, I'm pretty creaky myself! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:52pm

Post #38 of 39 (166 views)
Shortcut
You're right Starling! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2013, 12:54pm

Post #39 of 39 (112 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'll be! I never knew about Shinola, either. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.