Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ Extended Edition Expectations
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 3:54pm

Post #26 of 42 (375 views)
Shortcut
Well that's ... [In reply to] Can't Post

disappointing to say the least.

I mean, I was still going to buy the blu-ray anyway, however, I wanted to acquire the standard DVD so that I could put it next to the LoTR extended editions and complement the set Frown

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 4:19pm

Post #27 of 42 (369 views)
Shortcut
It would definitely be cool. I'm very OCD with my DVD collection [In reply to] Can't Post

Just keep your fingers crossed for them, I've been wrong before Wink

Elfhelm
The Shire

Jul 24 2013, 5:17pm

Post #28 of 42 (339 views)
Shortcut
I assumed that it would fit on one disc w/o compression (if all extras were left for bonus discs). I guess I must grudgingly accept it being split on two discs, then. n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 5:49pm

Post #29 of 42 (322 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love to see them all lined up next to each other - two trilogy box sets Angelic

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 24 2013, 5:50pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 9:06pm

Post #30 of 42 (298 views)
Shortcut
Hopiing for Specials [In reply to] Can't Post

My biggest fear is that since we have the vlogs there won't be any of those fabulous making-of specials the LOTR has. My favorite is the one about the horses. Hope all the guys get into the act for the actors' commentary. Additional material that would be nice is:

Old Took's Birthday
Bilbo shopping on Market Day
Bofur's Song
More Dale
More White Council

I'd like to see the scene from early in the book where the company is almost swept away by a swollen river. But that might look too much like the Barrel Sequence.

Glum
Bree

Jul 24 2013, 10:17pm

Post #31 of 42 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I still believe that PJ could make a nice one minute scene with the Rhudaur ruins. I can't see that happenining but it would be awesome ;-)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 11:09pm

Post #32 of 42 (242 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't "it's the dwarves who go swimming with little hairy women" from the book? // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 11:53pm

Post #33 of 42 (266 views)
Shortcut
More Fili. [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic Wink Sorry, I just knew I was going to say it sooner or later when people kept talking about the EE's! To be fair, I should also ask for more Bombur. He's grown on me. Can't help but like a guy who likes food and can cook. The Fili complaint is probably brought on by the fact that I watched the Goblintown fight today frame by frame and noted that, although Fili is almost always next to Gandalf, Thorin, or Kili whenever the camera focuses on them, he is never the focus of the camera.

C'mon, PJ, are you really wanting us to go for the short, dark, and handsome guys above the blond one??? Is that why you gave Fili a blond moment ("If there is a key, there must be a door.") - to ensure that all the fangirls go to Thorin and Kili? Is this discrimination against blonds??? Laugh (Calm down, people, I'm having fun. I'm blond myself.)

Sorry. Fangirl moment.

More seriously, I really would like to see the Shire market and Bilbo eluding both Gandalf and the Sackville-Bagginses. I would also *love* to hear The Man in the Moon song. Heart Something else I can memorize and sing everyday to annoy my family. Plus, the actors seemed to have fun learning, as the vlogs show: "I think Dwalin should just yell the whole thing!"

As far as 'fleeting nudity goes', I am willing to make a bet that Nori is somehow involved in mooning the Elves. It just seems to fit. Laugh Not sure what my Tolkien purist fan reaction should be to this, but I'm fairly sure my own reaction will by hysterical laughter. Because that is an appropriate response to many things. Wink It's better than getting angry over the movie changes.

In fact, we should either make a popcorn game (for us teetotallers and underage people) or a drinking game for movie changes. That way, the changes will be a source of laughter and much silliness instead of rage and many strongly-worded and very scholarly rants (more scholarly than I could ever hope to achieve). It's a thought. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jul 25 2013, 12:17am

Post #34 of 42 (238 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

In my country there was a VHS release. It was two videos, only the EE, without the extras. I remember almost buying them, until my dad reminded me we had DVD (I was only 9 at the time, didn't really care about the difference, and they were cheaper).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 1:24am

Post #35 of 42 (275 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that the "fleeting nudity" is Yazneg related. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, Azog pantses him before making him Warg food at Weathertop.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 1:32am

Post #36 of 42 (247 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, there won't be any major additions to the EE's most likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

such as the gift giving, sons of the steward, Saruman and Gandy/Angmar from RotK, ETC. Most likely more minor material, which is fine IMO, given the nature of the theatrical editions.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 7:04am

Post #37 of 42 (179 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

If they do the same with The Hobbit but for DVDs, I'd still would want the extras included - just as the Blu-rays. Unfortunately, that's not how these things work today: pay more to see more, basically.Unsure

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 25 2013, 7:06am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 1:04pm

Post #38 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
My ideas... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are not about the content of the SEE, but about its overall design:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=629351#629351

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 3:41pm

Post #39 of 42 (175 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see: [In reply to] Can't Post

More of Dale, Erebor and Thranduil,
The arrows and treasure explanations
Extended song in Bag End
Young Bilbo
Extended riddles in the dark
Extended Battle of Anazzibazur (or whatever it's called) especially the Balrog...
The Dwarves being teased by the elves about their beards
Fili/Kili falling in the river chasing after the horses as in the book
A reference to Bilbo's overisized borrowed cloak in the book
More Rivendell-Bofur's song, the shards of Narsil and (you never know) perhaps a glance at Elrond's mythical libary
Bilbo and co seeing some of the ruins of Arnor along the road
A reference explaining why the eagles aren't just a taxi service
Extended White Council (hated how AUJ treated Christopher Lee)
A reference to the purse (maybe one of the dwarves could pick it up and discard it in the Troll's cave)
A reference to Thorin/Fili/Kili's musical talents (a quick shot or two of the harp in Erebor for instance)

The highly unlikely Gondolin stuff would be very interesting to see

(Also Hoping for Glorfindel, and young Estel cameos-in the background without any dialogue)

And...DAIN IRONFOOT!!

But:
Less Actions sequences
Less Radagast
MUCH Less Azog

I too couldn't care less about the 3d but I'm looking forward to the extras-can't wait to see the behind the scenes stuff, esp. what lame reasoning Phillipa 'Tolkien Expert' Boyens and co had for some of the changes/addtions, and It will be interesting to see whether they include any documentaries on Tolkien, and/or the books genesis as one of his Childrens stories (ie 'Yeah its a short childrens book, so we made three adult films)

It would be cool to see some audtion tapes and outakes this time around (I believe PJ is saving LOTR's for the 'big box set' of the two trilogies), though just for the sake of convinience it would be nice to have the Production Blogs and trailers included as well as the new stuff.

I'm not hoping for that much am I? Wink

PS. A free squeaky talking purse would be cool, just saying.

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

LordGawain
Rivendell

Jul 25 2013, 6:17pm

Post #40 of 42 (115 views)
Shortcut
remember [In reply to] Can't Post

extra's were never included on VHS, except maybe some deleted scenes after the feature film.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2013, 8:41pm

Post #41 of 42 (138 views)
Shortcut
It never ceases to amaze me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how much we think alike, malickfan! Smile

I want to know exactly why Thranduil didn't help the Dwarves - according to PB&J!

I'm also particularly looking forward to the writers' commentaries...and even if the Gondolin flashback has been filmed, I don't expect to see it in AUJ.

In Reply To
More of Dale, Erebor and Thranduil,
The arrows and treasure explanations
Extended song in Bag End
Young Bilbo
Extended riddles in the dark
Extended Battle of Anazzibazur (or whatever it's called) especially the Balrog...
The Dwarves being teased by the elves about their beards
Fili/Kili falling in the river chasing after the horses as in the book
A reference to Bilbo's overisized borrowed cloak in the book
More Rivendell-Bofur's song, the shards of Narsil and (you never know) perhaps a glance at Elrond's mythical libary
Bilbo and co seeing some of the ruins of Arnor along the road
A reference explaining why the eagles aren't just a taxi service
Extended White Council (hated how AUJ treated Christopher Lee)
A reference to the purse (maybe one of the dwarves could pick it up and discard it in the Troll's cave)
A reference to Thorin/Fili/Kili's musical talents (a quick shot or two of the harp in Erebor for instance)

The highly unlikely Gondolin stuff would be very interesting to see

(Also Hoping for Glorfindel, and young Estel cameos-in the background without any dialogue)

And...DAIN IRONFOOT!!

But:
Less Actions sequences
Less Radagast
MUCH Less Azog

I too couldn't care less about the 3d but I'm looking forward to the extras-can't wait to see the behind the scenes stuff, esp. what lame reasoning Phillipa 'Tolkien Expert' Boyens and co had for some of the changes/addtions, and It will be interesting to see whether they include any documentaries on Tolkien, and/or the books genesis as one of his Childrens stories (ie 'Yeah its a short childrens book, so we made three adult films)

It would be cool to see some audtion tapes and outakes this time around (I believe PJ is saving LOTR's for the 'big box set' of the two trilogies), though just for the sake of convinience it would be nice to have the Production Blogs and trailers included as well as the new stuff.

I'm not hoping for that much am I? Wink

PS. A free squeaky talking purse would be cool, just saying.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 25 2013, 8:42pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 9:53pm

Post #42 of 42 (68 views)
Shortcut
Expectations? [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect to get my doors blown off by some wonderful new stuff and more of the already wonderful stuff! AND I want it NOW!!! *twitch*

oh... and at least 40 more minutes of film would do very nicely ;)

AND I WANT IT NOW!
*slaver, slurp*

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.