Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
put that down! you've no idea where it's been...

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 8:23pm

Views: 107
Shortcut
put that down! you've no idea where it's been... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Let us focus on the first picture [of Gandalf]. He looks somewhat worried and, perhaps, wary of Pippin whom has just touched the Palantír. Do you suppose he is thinking of what effect the “seeing stone” is having on Pippin?

Yes, those are pretty much the thoughts I've always had about Gandalf's look here. It seems natural given the way Pippin is gripping the palantir in the previous shot.

2)
‘Here, my lad, I'll take that! I did not ask you to handle it,’ [Gandalf] cried, turning sharply and seeing Pippin coming up the steps, slowly, as if he were bearing a great weight. He went down to meet him and hastily took the dark globe from the hobbit, wrapping it in the folds of his cloak. ‘I will take care of this,’ he said. ‘It is not a thing, I guess, that Saruman would have chosen to cast away.’ ~ The Two Towers | The Voice of Saruman

... In my opinion, there is a more serious reaction in the film.
Do you prefer Gandalf’s reaction in the book or in the film?
Well, in the book--Gandalf did speak (*cried out*) *sharply* and did *hastily* take the palantir. Those *words* conveyed a pretty serious reaction, bookwise. Nope, no preference between the two versions.

3) Now let’s focus on the picture of Pippin. Do you think he was expecting more of a telling off from Gandalf? What do you think about how this reaction is shown?
Watching Pippin's reaction has a bigger impact on me that simply seeing the screencap. The anger (?) I always interpreted in his look is not so apparent in the still. I imagine Pippin's thoughts to be something along the lines of ....get off my case already! I never get to do anything interesting/important!

4) Any other thoughts/comments?
I successfully avoided making a baking pun!

Subject User Time
SCOD: “I'll Take That, My Lad.” FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Jul 22 2013, 11:26am
    "Well, no...and yesss!" Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 22 2013, 3:40pm
        There's an idea Starling Send a private message to Starling Jul 22 2013, 9:55pm
            "The Ring was encrusted to you, Frodo Baggins." cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 22 2013, 11:35pm
                "If you do not find the way to bake it in Mordor, Starling Send a private message to Starling Jul 23 2013, 3:28am
                    "Then I know what I must do. It's just... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 23 2013, 3:58am
                        "So do all who live to bake in such times, Starling Send a private message to Starling Jul 23 2013, 5:01am
                            I think we've exhausted my baking knowledge cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 23 2013, 8:05pm
                                Pfft, Starling Send a private message to Starling Jul 24 2013, 3:15am
                                    Icing, you sing, we all sing for pie's cream. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 24 2013, 3:45am
                                        "The only Dark Lord is the Dark Lord of Ice Cream." -Wall Ice Stevens / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 24 2013, 1:25pm
                                            A small ring, the yeast of rings. It is but a truffle that Sauron fancies.// L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven Jul 24 2013, 2:09pm
    Pippin's look... Nira Send a private message to Nira Jul 24 2013, 1:35am
    put that down! you've no idea where it's been... batik Send a private message to batik Jul 27 2013, 8:23pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.