Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: “I'll Take That, My Lad.”

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 11:26am

Post #1 of 14 (507 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: “I'll Take That, My Lad.” Can't Post

Mae Govannen, my friends, to another Screencap Of The Day.
Here are the images;

These pictures are after Pippin has picked up the Palantír, and Gandalf has snatched it off him. Here we see them looking at each other.

You can find the full-sized images here and here.

Feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1) Let us focus on the first picture [of Gandalf]. He looks somewhat worried and, perhaps, wary of Pippin whom has just touched the Palantír. Do you suppose he is thinking of what effect the “seeing stone” is having on Pippin?

2)

Here, my lad, I'll take that! I did not ask you to handle it,’ [Gandalf] cried, turning sharply and seeing Pippin coming up the steps, slowly, as if he were bearing a great weight. He went down to meet him and hastily took the dark globe from the hobbit, wrapping it in the folds of his cloak. ‘I will take care of this,’ he said. ‘It is not a thing, I guess, that Saruman would have chosen to cast away.’ ~ The Two Towers | The Voice of Saruman

... In my opinion, there is a more serious reaction in the film.
Do you prefer Gandalf’s reaction in the book or in the film?

3) Now let’s focus on the picture of Pippin. Do you think he was expecting more of a telling off from Gandalf? What do you think about how this reaction is shown?

4) Any other thoughts/comments?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

.... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 3:40pm

Post #2 of 14 (300 views)
Shortcut
"Well, no...and yesss!" [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Let us focus on the first picture [of Gandalf]. He looks somewhat worried and, perhaps, wary of Pippin whom has just touched the Palantír. Do you suppose he is thinking of what effect the “seeing stone” is having on Pippin?

You can really see the metal wheels and gears turning… Wait. That’s Saruman. Still, I can see Gandalf running down all the possibilities and probabilities. “Is this a good thing or a bad thing and how can I use it to beat Sauron?"

________________________________________ Quote ________________________________________
‘Here, my lad, I'll take that! I did not ask you to handle it,’ [Gandalf] cried, turning sharply and seeing Pippin coming up the steps, slowly, as if he were bearing a great weight. He went down to meet him and hastily took the dark globe from the hobbit, wrapping it in the folds of his cloak. ‘I will take care of this,’ he said. ‘It is not a thing, I guess, that Saruman would have chosen to cast away.’ ~ The Two Towers | The Voice of Saruman

Really, both are good. I love to have these alternate takes on the original story. It’s like getting a visual version of HoME.

3) Now let’s focus on the picture of Pippin. Do you think he was expecting more of a telling off from Gandalf? What do you think about how this reaction is shown?

Kinda reminds me of this earlier shot:

Are palantirs as addictive as rings? They’re both round. I guess that explains the addictive qualities of donuts. And pie!

Mmmmm, pie!

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 22 2013, 9:55pm

Post #3 of 14 (285 views)
Shortcut
There's an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

"You shall be the fellowship of the pie..."

cats16
Valinor

Jul 22 2013, 11:35pm

Post #4 of 14 (262 views)
Shortcut
"The Ring was encrusted to you, Frodo Baggins." [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 23 2013, 3:28am

Post #5 of 14 (229 views)
Shortcut
"If you do not find the way to bake it in Mordor, [In reply to] Can't Post

no one will."

cats16
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 3:58am

Post #6 of 14 (229 views)
Shortcut
"Then I know what I must do. It's just... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I'll burn it in the oven."

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jul 23 2013, 4:02am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 23 2013, 5:01am

Post #7 of 14 (229 views)
Shortcut
"So do all who live to bake in such times, [In reply to] Can't Post

all you have to do is bake it for the time given..."

cats16
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 8:05pm

Post #8 of 14 (202 views)
Shortcut
I think we've exhausted my baking knowledge [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad, I know...CrazyBlushLaugh

Nira
Lorien

Jul 24 2013, 1:35am

Post #9 of 14 (212 views)
Shortcut
Pippin's look... [In reply to] Can't Post

...after Gandalf takes the palantir has interested me every time I watch it. I can't quite figure it out. He looks like a guilty man caught red-handed, and yet up to this point he has not done anything wrong to warrent such an expression. How odd! It's as if both Gandalf and, even more so, Pippin knew what was to come. Perhaps I'm missing something or misreading his facial expression, but I don't understand why Pippin looks like he feels he already betrayed Gandalf.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 24 2013, 3:15am

Post #10 of 14 (195 views)
Shortcut
Pfft, [In reply to] Can't Post

well that was a half-baked pun thread, wasn't it! Laugh

cats16
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 3:45am

Post #11 of 14 (202 views)
Shortcut
Icing, you sing, we all sing for pie's cream. [In reply to] Can't Post

CrazyTongue Ehhh not my best but I guess I was sort of able to connect the pies to the nat'l ice cream day thread...A for effort, I suppose. CoolAngelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 24 2013, 1:25pm

Post #12 of 14 (191 views)
Shortcut
"The only Dark Lord is the Dark Lord of Ice Cream." -Wall Ice Stevens / [In reply to] Can't Post

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2013, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 14 (182 views)
Shortcut
A small ring, the yeast of rings. It is but a truffle that Sauron fancies.// [In reply to] Can't Post

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 8:23pm

Post #14 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
put that down! you've no idea where it's been... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, those are pretty much the thoughts I've always had about Gandalf's look here. It seems natural given the way Pippin is gripping the palantir in the previous shot.

2)
‘Here, my lad, I'll take that! I did not ask you to handle it,’ [Gandalf] cried, turning sharply and seeing Pippin coming up the steps, slowly, as if he were bearing a great weight. He went down to meet him and hastily took the dark globe from the hobbit, wrapping it in the folds of his cloak. ‘I will take care of this,’ he said. ‘It is not a thing, I guess, that Saruman would have chosen to cast away.’ ~ The Two Towers | The Voice of Saruman

Well, in the book--Gandalf did speak (*cried out*) *sharply* and did *hastily* take the palantir. Those *words* conveyed a pretty serious reaction, bookwise. Nope, no preference between the two versions.

Watching Pippin's reaction has a bigger impact on me that simply seeing the screencap. The anger (?) I always interpreted in his look is not so apparent in the still. I imagine Pippin's thoughts to be something along the lines of ....get off my case already! I never get to do anything interesting/important!

I successfully avoided making a baking pun!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.