Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
And now, moments from S. Morgenstern's 'The Hobbit',

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 5:01am

Post #1 of 23 (1157 views)
Shortcut
And now, moments from S. Morgenstern's 'The Hobbit', Can't Post

as adapted for the big screen by William Goldman.*

Scene: the western edge of Mirkwood
Gandalf (waving a handkerchief): Bye-bye, Bilbo! Have fun storming the mountain!

And this swoon-worthy nugget:
"Hello, my name is Thorin Oakenshield. You killed my father; prepare to die."

And who can forget this classic:
Tauriel: What about the O.O.U.S.es?
Kili: Orcs of Unusual Size? I don't believe they exist.

What are your favorite moments from this gem of a tale?

*discoverer of 'The Princess Bride'

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 5:21am

Post #2 of 23 (508 views)
Shortcut
Chapter 1: An Unexpected Party [In reply to] Can't Post

is followed by Chapter 2: The Shire, which describes, in detail Bilbo's genealogy and amusing anecdotes of his ancestors and cousins on both sides, also it contains letters written from the Mayor to various Bagginses over the generations, and the political ramifications of the discovery of pipeweed on Shire relations with Bree. This chapter, in its entirety, is cut from William Goldman's 'good bits' version.

And of course, we can't forget this line of Thorin's to Bilbo: "I've hired you to burgle a dragon hoard. It's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."

Azog after the dwarves start to lose their grips on the trees and are rescued by eagles. "They didn't fall? Inconceivable!"

The Mayor of Laketown giving a speech as Thorin's company prepare to leave. "Dwagons. Dwagons aww what bwing us togevver today."

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 5:56am

Post #3 of 23 (423 views)
Shortcut
Where is the Precious? The battle of riddles has begun.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 5:58am

Post #4 of 23 (480 views)
Shortcut
Oh here I go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug: You've beaten the pale Orc, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the arkenstone in your own pocket trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the goblet in front of you. But, you've also bested Thranduil, which means you must've studied, and in studying you must've learned that hobbit is mortal, so you would've put the Arkenstone as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the goblet in front of me........

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

(This post was edited by Oin's parasite on Jul 21 2013, 6:01am)

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 6:11am

Post #5 of 23 (442 views)
Shortcut
I have more! [In reply to] Can't Post

Narrator: "Get him a pony", of course what he really ment was, I love you.

Azog to Yazneg: Do you want me to send you back to where you were - unemployed in Dunland?!

Master of Lake Town to Thorin and Company: Have fun storming Erebor!

Radagast on the Necromancer: It just so happens that Sauron here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

(This post was edited by Oin's parasite on Jul 21 2013, 6:12am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 6:14am

Post #6 of 23 (416 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's a girl-elf! Is this a kissing movie? // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Turnip Head
Bree

Jul 21 2013, 6:53am

Post #7 of 23 (431 views)
Shortcut
The Dwead Dwagon Smaug is here for your... [In reply to] Can't Post

...GOOOOOOOOLD!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:52am

Post #8 of 23 (376 views)
Shortcut
That made me laugh out loud. :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:53am

Post #9 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

("mods up" means "This is a great post. Everybody come and read it.")

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 21 2013, 8:54am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 6:13pm

Post #10 of 23 (317 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful !! Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep going - you're "clearly" on a roll :-)!

iduna
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 7:20pm

Post #11 of 23 (298 views)
Shortcut
You rush a wizard, you get rotten wizardry. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 9:50pm

Post #12 of 23 (269 views)
Shortcut
SMAUG (to Bilbo): You're trying to burgle what I've rightfully stolen. // [In reply to] Can't Post

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 10:41pm

Post #13 of 23 (257 views)
Shortcut
"D'you think Frodo will make it to Mount Doom?" "It'd take a miracle." // [In reply to] Can't Post

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 23 (278 views)
Shortcut
That classic scene with Thorin and Bilbo.... [In reply to] Can't Post

THORIN: If you find the Arkenstone, bring it to me at once.

BILBO (fingering the Arkenstone hidden inside his cloak): I swear it will be done.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 12:55am

Post #15 of 23 (289 views)
Shortcut
Scene: The Dwarves have been caught by Thranduil's guard and are stuck in their cells, killing time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili: That Thranduil, he can *fuss*.
Kili: Fuss, fuss... I think he likes to scream at *us*.
Fili: Probably he lacks in *charm*.
Kili: A chuckle from him would cause *alarm*.
Fili: He's also known as *grumpy-pants*.
Kili: He probably needs a *mood transplant*.
Guard: Enough of that.
Fili: Kili, why do you think he wears a crown with *berries*?
Kili: To cause laughter from his *adversaries*.
Guard: No more rhymes now, I mean it!
Kili: Anybody want a peanut?
Guard: Gaaaahhh!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2013, 2:40am

Post #16 of 23 (242 views)
Shortcut
You keep using that word "burglar". I do not think it means what you think it means.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2013, 5:25pm

Post #17 of 23 (192 views)
Shortcut
Ha! This is great!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 5:43pm

Post #18 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
Niiiice! / [In reply to] Can't Post

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 6:17pm

Post #19 of 23 (199 views)
Shortcut
Smarts [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo: I miss my books.

Ori: There are other things to read than print and the youngest dwarf is displeased with you and is thinking of going home.

True story: I was at concert where Mandy Patinkin was performing a one man show. He was 2 songs into the concert when he forgot the lyrics to his number. He apologized saying, "I have been on the road so long and have done so many concerts at this point I've forgotten my name." At which point some one in the audience yelled out "Your name is Inigo Montoya." That brought the house down.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 7:22pm

Post #20 of 23 (171 views)
Shortcut
Love it! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 8:14pm

Post #21 of 23 (177 views)
Shortcut
Can I just take a moment to say [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I love this thread and everybody who has participated in it? Laugh Seriously, this is amazing. It makes me want to read the book again... Sadly, I don't have a copy, I have to go to the library to get it. Sooo glad a friend recommended 'The Princess Bride' to me - and also so glad to see that everything can be related to Tolkien! I love fandom crossovers. They're always so much fun. Wink

Are there going to be any threats to/from Smaug about, "To the pain?"

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2013, 3:20pm

Post #22 of 23 (144 views)
Shortcut
Smaug: 'To the pain? I'm not [In reply to] Can't Post

familiar with that expression.'
Bard: Then let me explain it to you. 'To the pain' means the first thing you will lose will be your feet, all four of them. Then your wings, at the shoulders. No more flying for you. Next will be your left eye...
Smaug: Followed by my right, and then my nose, I suppose.
Bard: Wrong! Your nose you keep, and I'll tell you why: So that every whiff of revulsion, every scent of mockery at the sight of your pitiful form, will be yours to cherish. Every merchant who wafts a bit of gold about at your approach and calls 'Eru has spared us from that thing!' will reverberate in you, courtesy of your perfect nose. That is what 'to the pain' means. It means that I leave you to live in anguish, in humiliation, in freakish misery until you can stand it no more.
Smaug: Really?
Bard (nocks his arrow and lets it fly, straight to Smaug's unguarded spot): Nah. I'm more of an 'Indiana Jones' type.

Asked and answered - glad you've enjoyed it!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Jul 23 2013, 3:21pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 23 2013, 5:31pm

Post #23 of 23 (160 views)
Shortcut
This was brilliant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Thank you!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.