Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo and Thorin's last scene.

Jul 19 2013, 11:40pm

Post #1 of 8 (1103 views)
Bilbo and Thorin's last scene. Can't Post

One thing i'm curious is how the production will present
the parting scene between Bilbo and Thorin. I think this
a delicate scene. I briefly consulted the canonical passage,
and, as mentioned before, the farewell is restrained to a few
lines of dialogue. The concise nature of this parting seems
to well serve the story whole.

My interest, then, is how the relative pithiness of dialogue
would translate to the film, given what the films probably will have
established hitherto. Do you think the production will elaborate
the dialogue? I am not sure what else one could have the characters
say to each other. I wouldn't think a speech to be appropriate for the
situation. How much would the two characters 'concede' to the other?

Given the challenges seemingly inherent in a delicate scene as this,
I wondered if they might ditch the tent setting altogether and to instead
remove the characters to inside Erebor. Visually, might it be odd that they
pitch a tent for the king amidst the devastation of battle when Beorn could
have easily carried him to immediate safety within Erebor? Could a tent setting
feel too staged, given the immediate situation? Also, a tent could possibly
be too open compared to the secluded safety of the Mountain. I think this would be a more private
scene and to have Thranduil, Bard, and everyone else lurking right outside the entry would
be a bit beside the point. The emphasis, I tend to think, is of Thorin haivng sallied forth
from Erebor. That everyone else would mourn his fate as a putative tribute to his
heroics -- when relative moments before everyone else was prepared to annihilate
in the name of wealth -- might seem hard to integrate. So...might somebody here envision Bilbo
meeting Thorin in an Erebor chamber as their last scene? Here, there would maybe
be less need to assist the character scene through dialogue. The incisive
canonical dialogue could stand... It would also preserve a relative element of
surpise in the Dwarf Lord's fate. How do you see this scene ?

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Jul 19 2013, 11:45pm)

Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 11:49pm

Post #2 of 8 (455 views)
I like your scene [In reply to] Can't Post

and I could certainly see moving it inside erebor.

For starters, I think it should be Bofur that finds Bilbo after the battle. They have already developed a relationship between Bofur and Bilbo and rather than having some random guy find him and bring him back to Gandalf I envision it as being Bofur. I think it would be terrific.

I do think Bilbo should be confused a bit about who or what he is going to see. I think it would be great as you said for him to see the somber look on the dwarves faces, especially Balin, as he goes inside. I don't need it to be in the tent. Inside Erebor would actually kind of make sense and I could see that happening.

One thing I would like to see is for them to take the paragraph after Thorin passes where Bilbo is talking to himself and says some thing to the effect of "You made a mess of the Arkenstone situation but you can hardly be blamed for that" and give it to either Gandalf or to thorin to work in to his words at the end.

I do think the dialogue must contain the words said between them, including the whole "Child of the kindly west" phrase and I cannot wait to see that between Freeman and Armitage. Both are just terrific actors and I can't wait to see that whole scene played out.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Jul 20 2013, 1:14am

Post #3 of 8 (408 views)
The Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your ideas for the scene. However, if the tent is kept from the book, I would like the vibe to be similar to the John Howe painting with it all being very gray, with shadows everywhere, and rain falling outside, with Bilbo in a too-big-coat and dripping wet. I love that painting.

Werde Spinner

Jul 20 2013, 1:43am

Post #4 of 8 (387 views)
I support this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I full-heartedly support Bofur finding Bilbo after the battle. Never thought I would be hoping for a deviation from canon, but now that this has been pointed out to me it makes such perfect sense from their movie characters that I will be distressed now if it doesn't happen.

Whhhhyyy do I collect all the headcanons?

Inside Erebor will work just fine for me, as long as they keep the dialogue unchanged. It is so beautiful as it is that it needs no help.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Jul 20 2013, 7:33pm

Post #5 of 8 (254 views)
Orcrist *Spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

And whichever way it goes I hope they have the funeral scene with Thranduil placing Orcrist on Thorin's tomb and they are able to work in the observation that" the sword would glow in the dark if any orc approached and so the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by stealth."

Since the writers have spent so much time with Fili and Kili they will have to do something to emphasize their deaths and not take away from the Thorin/Bilbo scene. Any ideas?

Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 7:43pm

Post #6 of 8 (223 views)
Can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene is going to be great. It will be in there. It has to be. It's one of the most moving scenes of the book.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

The Shire

Jul 21 2013, 11:47am

Post #7 of 8 (176 views)
So excited!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they will definetly have Thorin's famous quote (see my signature) as his dying words and it will most definelty make me cry. PJ is great at doing really moving scenes when key characters die such as Boromir's or Gandalf's death or the heartbreaking scene with Frodo going to the grey havens and hopefully it will live up to that. But I am very excited.

If more people valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, the world would indeed be a merrier place-Thorin Oakenshield, The Hobbit

Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2013, 3:57pm

Post #8 of 8 (163 views)
Me too Jay [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well said and love the quote. It's THE quote of the book for me. RA and MF are going to really rock that scene and I can't wait. It's a huge scene for the 3 movies and it will be the one that lasts with viewers I think for a very long time.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.