The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Newsflash: Tim Burton to direct "Alice In Wonderland"

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 30 2007, 6:33am

Post #1 of 4 (186 views)
Shortcut
Newsflash: Tim Burton to direct "Alice In Wonderland" Can't Post

This will probably be moved, but that's OK. I saw this on Awardsdaily.com (the former Oscarwatch) and it's no lie.

Tim Burton, he of Sweeney Todd and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame--among many other little cinematic Wonders of Weird--is indeed set to do a live-action remake of this timeless classic. My initial reaction is torn between pure existential horror, (I mean, Tom Petty did a great live-action glimpse of Wonderland back in the days when MTV *cough* played music videos *cough*, and it beautifully Lynchian) ,and a perverse desire to see the Burton stamp on this beloved children's tale. It would be nice to have more than the saccharine Disney version.

On the other hand, the real reason I put this up as a topic, is that frankly, I am getting SICK and TIRED of remakes. *Can't Hollywood allow anyone to come up with good origional ideas and characters anymore????? I mean, someday, they'll run out of franchises to remake, and *gasp* may actually have to come out with ORIGIONAL STORIES!!!

Obviously, The Hobbit falls outside the "tepid remake" category in everyone's book, even though technically speaking it is a remake. So it doesn't count. But how does everyone feel about the general direction Hollywood is taking artistically, otherwise?

Patty
Immortal

Dec 31 2007, 3:04pm

Post #2 of 4 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yes. This was done wonderfully, years ago. I think it was Hallmark Hall of Fame... [In reply to] Can't Post

with Whoopie Goldberg as the Cheshire cat. Ben Kingsley was also in it.

It was digitally mastered and looks great in DVD on standard dvd player.

No need to remake this one, Tim!

For Gondor!

Oden
Rivendell

Jan 3 2008, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 4 (60 views)
Shortcut
Johnny Depp as the White Rabbit??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or how about the huka smoking caterpillar...

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 7 2008, 7:11am

Post #4 of 4 (81 views)
Shortcut
Re-makes: some are marvellous.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and some aren't and are just boring.
But books and stories like "Alice in Wonderland", "Sherlock Holmes", "Tarzan", "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", horror classics, Shakespeare's plays, etc., get re-made and re-re-made, apparently ad infinitum. The re-make isn't a new phenomenon, its been going on since filmmaking began.

I knew "Alice" had been made many times; one of my favorites is Paramount Pictures' 1933 version with W.C. Fields as Humpty Dumpty, Cary Grant as the Mock Turtle, and Gary Cooper as The White Knight. But I didn't know that (according to the IMDb) the earliest version was made in 1903! They list 21 theatrical or TV films with that exact title. Amazing!

So, I don't really mind at all if someone wants to do a re-make, all I care about is whether its done extremely well, with perhaps a new take or angle that hasn't been tried before.

Personally, I'd like to see an animated version that exactly duplicates the
original illustrator JohnTenniel! Can you see the Jabberwock animated as a pen-and-ink illustration!? Whoa...

-ML, aka D/p

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.