Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Chapter title callouts in the films
Poll: Chapter title callouts in the films
HATE THEM!! 0 / 0%
They're mildly annoying 3 / 7%
They're not that bad 8 / 20%
LOVE THEM!! 25 / 61%
Oblivious 1 / 2%
Indifferent 2 / 5%
Pickles 2 / 5%
41 total votes

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 18 2013, 4:07am

Post #1 of 13 (297 views)
Shortcut
Chapter title callouts in the films Can't Post

Specifically "A Shortcut to Mushrooms" and "Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire" - do you think they're a lovely tribute to the books or do you hate them with the fire of a thousand suns? Or are you totally oblivious/indifferent? Or are pickles the best thing ever?

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 4:54am

Post #2 of 13 (195 views)
Shortcut
IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

They were the best parts of the film as they were for the most part the only parts true to canon (with a few changes)

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 18 2013, 12:59pm

Post #3 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
I liked them [In reply to] Can't Post

They were cool, little references to the books, which I enjoyed. Even if they weren't exactly cannon (i.e. A Shortcut to Mushrooms) I did like them; they make me smile and think, "Yes, cool, that was in the book."

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Jul 18 2013, 12:59pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 4:15pm

Post #4 of 13 (168 views)
Shortcut
I love them. [In reply to] Can't Post

A very good shout out to the books.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 10:49pm

Post #5 of 13 (154 views)
Shortcut
Also a fan of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Tolkien's chapter titles, so it's great to me to see them get some acknowledgement in the films.

And pickles are not the best thing ever...LaughWink

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 19 2013, 1:48am

Post #6 of 13 (140 views)
Shortcut
Nuh-uh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, pickles may not be the best thing ever, but they're one of the best things ever, IMO Wink

I'm surprised how many people liked the chapter title callouts, personally I felt they were a bit contrived... especially when the scene that follows is nothing like that chapter of the book, but that's just my two cents. I'm glad you all enjoyed them! Smile

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 2:10am

Post #7 of 13 (152 views)
Shortcut
Is there one reference in particular that especially irks you? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just curious to hear what you think.

And I stand firm about the pickles.Wink

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 19 2013, 3:03am

Post #8 of 13 (141 views)
Shortcut
A Shortcut to... Mushrooms!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still bugs the crap out of me to this day. I just feel like I'm being bludgeoned with a chapter title out of nowhere, especially when that scene had nothing to do with the original Shortcut to Mushrooms! It also leaves a bad taste in my mouth to have Merry and Pippin stealing Farmer Maggot's crops as adult hobbits who are by all accounts reasonably well-off.

And yeah, "Out of the Frying Pan..." "...and Into the Fire!" bugs me a little too, mostly because it seems out of character for Thorin and Gandalf to be finishing each other's sentences. I have slightly less of a problem with that line because the overall context is preserved, but I think it would've made more sense to have Fili and Kili say it since they're the ones always finishing each other's sentences.

And really, give pickles a chance! They're a dragon's favorite food, you know. Laugh

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 3:33am

Post #9 of 13 (132 views)
Shortcut
Pickled dwarf, perhaps...too soon? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally see how you could be put off by those instances. Personally, I'm actually of the exact opposite opinion on both, sort of. I think the Merry and Pippin one works for me because they don't quote it exactly the same. There is the break up of "A shortcut to what? (after a shortcut is already mentioned by Merry) Mushrooms!" I think that more natural flow to the conversation makes it work for me. But I never thought of your second point regarding M & P. Lol, great point! Poor Farmer Maggot...Smile

I do think you make a good point about how Fili and Kili could have been the ones (or one line) of the frying pan reference. I know, in the book, Tolkien mentions it being said by Bilbo, and later passing into a proverb. Here in the film, I think the idea is that this phrase is already a proverb, of some sort. So it's more like Thorin is beginning to (random examples to compare with) ...say a famous phrase...quote a memorable quote from a famous film...or something similar. Gandalf, hearing it at some point before (because it's a phrase that has an established meaning within the language), is merely completing it for him in a moment of great urgency.

Anyways, that was probably more analysis than you wanted (or that I should have given), but I hope that gave you an idea of why I do like their usage in the films.

Smile

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 19 2013, 5:16am

Post #10 of 13 (135 views)
Shortcut
That's one pickle I couldn't stomach [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many hairs to get stuck in your teeth! Laugh

I totally get why you like these moments, and no analysis is too much IMO! I much prefer Bilbo's invention of the proverb as told in TH, but it's also pretty obvious why it wouldn't have worked on film.

I for one really felt the absence of Farmer Maggot and the "conspirators" Merry and Pippin (and Fatty Bolger!). I think leaving that out took away some of Merry's credibility as the very shrewd hobbit he was, and that's a shame because I always really enjoyed his character in the books. Not that he was awful in the films, but he and Pippin got used as comic relief a little too often and without demonstrating any reason to take them seriously until much much later in the story. The "Mushrooms" moment kind of exemplified that comic relief element in my mind, and I felt it sold their characters short.

That's just my two cents, or four cents, or a dollar or two if you like! Can we agree we both like cats? Because one is chewing on my toes at the moment, and distracting as it is I haven't the heart to stop him Wink

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 5:05pm

Post #11 of 13 (95 views)
Shortcut
What do you know about cooking dwarf -Tom(?) Huggins [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

It's funny how we hear Fatty Bolger's name, said by Bilbo, during the Long Expected Party. And the actor playing Fatty looks to be 50-60 (probably the proper age for Frodo, etc.). And no Folco Boffin, too!

Yeah, Merry and Pippin really do shine in the books during TT. I love their conversations, mostly when trying to figure out what to do/where to go next. On the other hand, this childishness we see in the films for the first film really gives them an interesting character arc when we leave them in ROTK.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 1:36pm

Post #12 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
I Wait for them! Love 'em! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a geeky, brilliant nod to fans of the books. Yeah... I want as many as they can squeeze in there.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Aug 28 2013, 12:42am

Post #13 of 13 (61 views)
Shortcut
I smiled [In reply to] Can't Post

when the screen showed us Fog on the Barrow-Downs. No words were necessary; just the image took me right to the book. Of course, I'm still a little disappointed that there were no barrow-wights.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.