Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Styles of Two Archers

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 7:34am

Post #1 of 16 (1634 views)
Shortcut
The Styles of Two Archers Can't Post

Over on geekdad.com they have an interesting piece contrasting the archery styles of Legolas and Tauriel. Legolas uses a longbow, while Tauriel uses a reflex-deflex bow. Archery instructor Jim MacQuarrie explains that the longbow (which resembles today's English longbow) is better for accuracy, while Tauriel's bow resembles those used in Mongolia, and Hungary, and is more suited to speed and to shooting from horseback. The longbow would thus be a more natural weapon for a prince, while the reflex-deflex bow would be appropriate for the common warrior often in combat. From the DOS trailer, MacQuarrie gives Tauriel high marks for her archery style, although is a bit surprised that she can draw with two fingers (but hey, she's not human, right?). Good to know that the production team are paying attention to such subtle details.

In DOS, I've no doubt we'll see Tauriel fire arrows in rapid succession, like one every 2 seconds. For anyone who might thing that this is impossible or "over the top", check out the video on the same page here to see Iza Privezenceva fire her reflex-deflex bow-- even their hair color matches!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2013, 9:23am

Post #2 of 16 (994 views)
Shortcut
And there was me thinking it was all just CG. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing something real - and amazing.
Go Iza!Shocked

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 16 (888 views)
Shortcut
Reflex bow [In reply to] Can't Post

The reflex-deflex bow does have more power than a standard short bow, I can't argue. I don't remember seeing anything that shows Luke Evans' form (as Bard) with a bow. I hope that Evans has gone out of his way to get it right.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 17 2013, 4:02pm

Post #4 of 16 (835 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the post! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been fascinated by the use of bows but I never knew this fact ... many thanks for pointing that out Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 4:50pm

Post #5 of 16 (859 views)
Shortcut
Luke (Bard) was pointing his Bow... [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Dwarves Outdoors at the Peloius River.
Later he is on Set and Balin walks towards him and says
"You are from Laketown."
Both in the Latest Vlog.

Bomby

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 17 2013, 6:26pm

Post #6 of 16 (842 views)
Shortcut
There's also this picture [In reply to] Can't Post

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/...Clo/s1600/bard3.jpeg

I don't have much knowledge about bows, but that looks like a proper longbow to me.

Christine Golden

Jul 17 2013, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 16 (826 views)
Shortcut
It's all in the details [In reply to] Can't Post

"Good to know that the production team are paying attention to such subtle details."

I have a BFA in technical theater, costume design, and ten years' worth of production experience. While some details are cohesive to the overall concept, many are disjointed and worse, just plain wrong. Compare the mediocre, jumbled mishmash of Howe/Maskrey's costumes with those of the brilliant Bob Buck and you may see what I mean.

Btw, considering Tolkien's general geographic comparisons of Europe, Africa, and Eurasia, why would an elf in Mirkwood own, let alone use, a bow whose origins were "enemy territories"?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 1:13am

Post #8 of 16 (713 views)
Shortcut
Details of the details [In reply to] Can't Post

Since this is a Discussion forum, criticism is welcome; but if you don't give any examples or other evidence relevant to such harsh criticism of Ann Maskrey / John Howe or such praise of The Brilliant Bob Buck, then it does sound like the "trolling" you mention in other threads. Either that, or you are Mrs. BB.

Examples of the "just plain wrong" would be helpful.

In Reply To
While some details are cohesive to the overall concept, many are disjointed and worse, just plain wrong. Compare the mediocre, jumbled mishmash of Howe/Maskrey's costumes with those of the brilliant Bob Buck and you may see what I mean.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 1:53am

Post #9 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
I think there are plenty of real-world and historical examples of cross cultural tech. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Btw, considering Tolkien's general geographic comparisons of Europe, Africa, and Eurasia, why would an elf in Mirkwood own, let alone use, a bow whose origins were "enemy territories"?

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 2:28am

Post #10 of 16 (716 views)
Shortcut
CG? Bomby explains [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a good idea to throw
your resume at these people...

Bomby has been in Show business for 45 years.

KT has written books on these Movies,

Others have written extensive Posts on Costumes!

Maybe you might want to explore the Archives
that have been listed here for 13 Years!

So... think a little more.
You Buddy, Bomby

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 2:51am

Post #11 of 16 (695 views)
Shortcut
Bow Origins [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

This is Middle-earth, not historical Europe. How do we know that the Mirkwood Elves didn't invent the recurve bow and Easterlings didn't borrow the idea from them?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 3:41am

Post #12 of 16 (665 views)
Shortcut
Woods [In reply to] Can't Post

As a bowhunter I can tell you that even though a longer bow is generally more accurate, it can be problematic when shooting in thick brush. From JRRTs description of Mirkwood. it seemed thick to me.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 6:29am

Post #13 of 16 (626 views)
Shortcut
Definitely a longbow according to this screenshot [In reply to] Can't Post

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 12:55pm

Post #14 of 16 (600 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As a bowhunter I can tell you that even though a longer bow is generally more accurate, it can be problematic when shooting in thick brush. From JRRTs description of Mirkwood. it seemed thick to me.

That is a good reason as to why the Wood-elves might have developed a recurve-style bow. Elven eye-sight and dexterity might allow them to spot and fire at game that would be out of reach for Mannish hunters, making a shorter high-powered bow very desirable.

A respect for tradition would explain why Legolas, a Sindar Elf, might stick with a longbow.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 18 2013, 12:57pm)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 11:13am

Post #15 of 16 (536 views)
Shortcut
John Howe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've looked through "The Hobbit: AUJ Chronicles" where all costumes have been noted with the designer's initials, and all I could see of Howe's costume design were weapons and the accessories the individual dwarves carry, well-suited to the special talents, contributions, and style of each dwarf, I thought. Do you have other sources that list further contributions to costume?

Bob Buck is, indeed, an accomplished designer. "River Queen" costuming, his armour designs in LOTR, and his designs for the dwarves of Erebor in the prologue are all very fine. Thror and young Balin stand out especially, and his dwarf women were a delightful surprise.

Ann Maskry is credited in "Chronicles" for the final designs for the dwarves' first costumes. I find them sumptuous, intricately detailed and unique to each character, and there is a cohesiveness that says "these are all dwarves". They are shown to be of differing status and professions but are all very believably in dwarven attire. The elves of Rivendell are all identifiable as elves of a particular time period and place, slightly different to LOTR.

I find cohesiveness within each of the races of Maskry's Middle-earth, so we must agree to differ in our satisfaction with her designs. Another designer, of course, would have a different interpretation, but I was very firmly in the Middle-earth we first saw in Fellowship. Given that we had that previous interpretation, there really was not unlimited scope for re-invention.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 22 2013, 1:24pm

Post #16 of 16 (465 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure Evans' performance will be great [In reply to] Can't Post

As Smaug's killer they will have to stress Bard's uncanny skill with that bow if the audience is to accept that nigh-impossible feat.

Plus, Evans is Welsh. One can only hope he's got the proper archer's poise and precision somewhere in his blood.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.