Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The White Tree of Gondor

legolasmcm

Jul 17 2013, 3:46am

Post #1 of 9 (331 views)
Shortcut
The White Tree of Gondor Can't Post

A friend of mine told me that she wants to paint me something from the Lord of the Rings.

The past few days I've been racking my brain to come up with something that would be pretty sweet and I think I've found what I want.

First, I'd like to preface that I am completely aware that what I'm about to describe is only in the movies and not in the books, but it is still a powerful image of hope.

I thought that it would be pretty epic to paint the scene where the camera pans up to the White Tree of Gondor and there is a single blossom on the withered and supposedly dead tree.

In the movies, the blossom was white, but does anybody know if this is accurate or if there is any reference at all to the color that the flower of the tree would be??

Also, if there are any other ideas about an epic painting, it would be read with open arms.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 9 (184 views)
Shortcut
According to Foster's 'The Complete Guide to Middle-earth'... [In reply to] Can't Post

The White Tree had leaves dark on top and silver beneath and clusters of flowers with white petals.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 9 (188 views)
Shortcut
From the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Aragorn turned. and there was a stony slope behind him running down from the skirts of the snow; and as he looked he was aware that alone there in the waste a growing thing stood. And he climbed to it, and saw that out of the very edge of the snow there sprang a sapling tree no more than three foot high. Already it had put forth young leaves long and shapely, dark above and silver beneath, and upon its slender crown it bore one small cluster of flowers whose white petals shone like the sunlit snow.
-ROTK, The Steward and the King

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

Elthir
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 12:13pm

Post #4 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut
more about trees [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tree of Gondor hails ultimately back to [1] Telperion whose 'blossoms were of shining white' -- according to the Annals of Aman Yavanna gave the Noldor the White Tree [2] Galathilion, image of the Tree Telperion and planted beneath the tower of Tirion -- from this tree came the tree of Eressea, ultimately called [3] Celeborn, and from this [4] Nimloth 'White-flower' of Numenor, and from this the White Tree of Gondor [5] with its more detailed history.

But in The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Gandalf says:

'Verily this is a sapling of the line of Nimloth the fair; and that was a seedling of Galathilion, and that a fruit of Telperion of many names, Eldest of Trees.'

Here Galathilion is the tree of Eressea rather, and it is a fruit of Telperion not an image of it. And there is no mention of a Tree in Tirion upon Tuna. Elrond had said [The Council of Elrond]:

'There in the courts of the King [in Minas Anor] grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressea, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young.'

So [4] Tree of Gondor <> from seed of Numenorean [3] Nimloth <> from seed of Eressean [2] Galathilion <> implied seed of [1] Telperion.

So according to the Silmarillion we have 5 trees [well, so to speak, if you take my meaning], but in The Lord of the Rings, 4. And that is why in Robert Foster's early Guide to Middle-Earth [before The Silmarillion wa published], Galathilion is the Tree of Eressea.

Christopher Tolkien comments that his father may have forgotten to revise The Lord of the Rings when ideas changed later, but in any case he never did.

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 4:01pm

Post #5 of 9 (89 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys are awesome. You never cease to amaze me with your deep knowledge of Tolkien.

Nuradar

Asger
Bree

Jul 20 2013, 9:53pm

Post #6 of 9 (77 views)
Shortcut
And then the sixth tree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the line is the one Gandalf and Aragorn found on the slopes of Mindolluin.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Elthir
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 9 (88 views)
Shortcut
my somewhat confusing numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

I would count that as number 5 Smile

The White Tree of Gondor itself has its own history, with a number of notable plantings even before this sapling was found. That's why I wrote: '... and from this the White Tree of Gondor [5] with its more detailed history.'

And why I added 'so to speak' later. In other words, its not just counting trees but all the trees after the Numenorean Nimloth are basically within 'category' 5.

Sorry I knew that might be confusing... but it helped me track the path from Aman to Minas Tirith.

Elthir
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 11:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (77 views)
Shortcut
drat... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I missed an its before I could edit. That should be it's [as it should be 'it is not just counting trees'].

The earlier itses are ok I think Wink

Asger
Bree

Jul 21 2013, 8:39am

Post #9 of 9 (116 views)
Shortcut
I didn't remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that there were several successive white trees in gondor, thnx for that information. I found this genealogy of the trees: http://tolkiengateway.net/...Tree_of_Minas_Tirith

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.