Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit - Special Classic Edition

Cavaldi

Jul 16 2013, 8:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (1277 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit - Special Classic Edition Can't Post

Unlikely though it seems possible to recut this trilogy to anything classy-like, is there any word on a simplified, single disk "original" version of The Hobbit?

(This post was edited by Cavaldi on Jul 16 2013, 8:37pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2013, 10:17pm

Post #2 of 16 (506 views)
Shortcut
Hi Cavaldi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen an unofficiatl fan made cut that only includes those things that arein the book, at least is an hour shorter, but Works well. Also they made a short fil getting all Withe Councils stuff and it was cool. I learned to apreciate all cuts, but it was a worthy experience to notice how the film still workedSmile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

deskp
Lorien

Jul 17 2013, 3:58am

Post #3 of 16 (397 views)
Shortcut
yea/no [In reply to] Can't Post

Official release? no, i dont think that'll ever happen.

Online fan cut, sure. I hope and think there will be a fancut of all 3 movies to fit the book. Not cause i don't like them but out of interest.

Cavaldi

Jul 17 2013, 4:26am

Post #4 of 16 (366 views)
Shortcut
If there is a market for it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Official release? no, i dont think that'll ever happen.

I don't know... Why not? If it were released after the last extended edition, it would be another edition for the fandom to buy. I bet it would sell good. Especially if it featured additional "unique" footage.

deskp
Lorien

Jul 17 2013, 4:30am

Post #5 of 16 (351 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Well yes, but it would need unique footage to fit the book better, No orcs/azog chasing them into the trees for example.

But I don't think this is something PJ would care about.

If they made soemthing like this I would want it at now extra super cost in the EE bluray box set.

3 versions of each film, would certainly be soemthing.

Cavaldi

Jul 17 2013, 5:03am

Post #6 of 16 (349 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not something I expect to happen but it all depends on whether Jackson would like to make such a version, and has the balls to do it.

Would be something if he does.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 1:03pm

Post #7 of 16 (274 views)
Shortcut
Don't think it's likely [In reply to] Can't Post

Im sorry for those who dislike AUJ but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an official cut-down version of AUJ to be released.

I'd be very surprised if Peter Jackson would ever have anything to do with an edited version of his Hobbit movies. All I know of him indicates a director who is secure in his vision and doesn't change anything in the face of criticism, though no doubt he has to bend to the studio sometimes. Almost certainly PJ likes AUJ as it is and as it will be in the expanded version. There will be more, not less in the latter.

There are already going to be two official versions of each movie the TE and the EE in at least two formats, so would Warner Brothers would authorize another at this stage?

The only market for such a thing is disappointed Hobbit novel fans, and there is no way of knowing how many they are and if theyd buy this version. Anecdotal and subjective evidence mean nothing. We just dont know those numbers. We do know how much the existing movie made at the box office and on DVD/Blu-ray.

Im a fan of both The Hobbit and AUJ but not a disappointed one. I like AUJ and have watched the TE DVD a number of times. Im looking forward to the EE and will buy it ASAP. But I have no interest in a cut-down version of AUJ, especially an amateur one.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 1:20pm

Post #8 of 16 (315 views)
Shortcut
Not an official one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Doubtless a fan will come out with one. Er, strictly for their own personal use, of course. To post it online for others would be wrong!

You could always do it yourself. I myself edited an "Eowyn Only" cut of LOTR that I use as a personal screensaver.

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 1:20pm

Post #9 of 16 (304 views)
Shortcut
I think you have the word - unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

... shading to downright impossible.

And when you think about it, it's hardly fair to expect it really. Whatever any viewer thinks, Peter Jackson has given heart and soul - for how many years is it now? - to adapting The Hobbit for the screen in the way that seems best to him, once (times three) for the screen, once (times three) in extended editions. He has to trust his own judgement and this is his vision. Expecting him to pull apart all that work and cut-and-paste a few bits into something not as good is like going up to an artist and saying 'I like that bit in the middle of your painting - and the tree on the right's very good. Now, will you just cut out all the stuff I don't like and stitch together the bits I do like?' He wouldn't do it - would you?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2013, 1:22pm

Post #10 of 16 (296 views)
Shortcut
TMI, Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 16 (290 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of TMI, there is one Eowyn scene I would die to see. [In reply to] Can't Post

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2013, 3:14pm

Post #12 of 16 (248 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't ever change, Darkstone. Smile

Noria
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 6:57pm

Post #13 of 16 (180 views)
Shortcut
Excellent post Dormouse, as always.// [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 7:53pm

Post #14 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Not as funny as Darkstone's, though! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cavaldi

Jul 17 2013, 10:09pm

Post #15 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
If I agreed, I wouldn't have started this thread - would you? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are numerous reasons any creative project can take various guises and no reason why an alternate version would conflict with either the creative integrity of Jackson, or with the studio's interests. Orson Welles made movies he didn't consider to be serious endeavours, to finance those he did. In the same vein, without looking down on one version of a story, a director might tell two versions of it - liking both, but differently. Like parents love their children. And like Tolkien himself kept re-shaping his stories over the years.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 10:22pm

Post #16 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
two versions [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this will be the case but PJ's other version will include even more than the EE. He has made a point, more than once that when he agreed to do the Hobbit, the saw these movies as part of a set including the LotR movies.

I think you will find what you are looking for eventually wish some kind of edited version from a fan that just wanted something only covering the book. There may be one already.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.