Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Here's to hoping that DOS will be better than AUJ...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 18 2013, 4:45am

Post #76 of 80 (183 views)
Shortcut
Worse than the stone giants... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the White Council scene, in my opinion. I had to get up and go outside the first time I saw it in the theater because otherwise I was going to ruin it for everyone by complaining LOUDLY through the whole thing. Before seeing the film I too had thought that would be a great way to flesh out the story, but it was so altered and poorly executed that it took me four more viewings before I could sit down and watch the whole scene without climbing out of my skin. And still what aggravates me the most is how Galadriel & Gandalf's pointless telepathic conversation drowned out Saruman in mid-sentence, after I'd been so looking forward to seeing him again!

And I mostly like AUJ. But that scene almost ruined it for me. Then again I'm always harsh on these films when I see them for the first couple of times because I have a firmly ingrained idea of what's supposed to happen. Usually my opinion softens after repeated viewings, but that's more due to the cast and the scenery than acceptance of changes that completely alter the storyline.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 12:44pm

Post #77 of 80 (149 views)
Shortcut
book and movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Come now Elenial, many of the complaints expressed on this board are really about how the movie differs from the book, especially in tone, plot, and characterizations. There are also criticisms of the movie as a movie but its pretty obvious that almost everybody who posts here is a fan of the books and/or the LotR trilogy and that inevitably colours all our views.

The trouble with being so familiar with the books is that it creates certain expectations and when favourite scenes or characters are different than imagined or expected, it can be irksome, as Angelclaw describes.

But my point was about how I, a lover of the book, am able to enjoy the movie and how I can let go of my preconceptions and enjoy the ride. I get that it doesn't work for other people.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2013, 6:09pm

Post #78 of 80 (146 views)
Shortcut
My point was that when someone complains about how PJ handled a scene [In reply to] Can't Post

it is often met with claims that the dissenters simply want the book filmed word for word, with nothing added. That is simply not the case for me at least, and for many others that I have read. Which is why my later post was qualifying that very point. It is not the fact that PJ has added material, but the quality and handling of that material. that causes a lot of the "disappointment."

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 18 2013, 6:10pm)

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 19 2013, 3:32am

Post #79 of 80 (108 views)
Shortcut
My sentiments exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I can handle some of the changes - for instance the troll scene, I get why PJ made Bilbo the one to get the trolls arguing rather than Gandalf because he's trying to show how the Dwarves come to accept Bilbo. It's a minor scene and doesn't alter the overall plot, so after getting past my initial complaints (OMG that's not how it's supposed to happen!!) I'm cool with it.

Same thing with the barrel scene in DOS, which I have defended elsewhere. I can appreciate small alterations to the story that actually work better in a film context than the original material would have, but when they start messing with the timeline and changing key plot elements (like the White Council) that's when I turn into a hardcore, raging purist Mad

But that's just me. Everyone has their threshold for what they will and won't accept, and IMO it doesn't make anyone the "bad guy" but rather speaks to how Tolkien's works touch each of us in our own way.

triptrap
Lorien

Jul 19 2013, 3:46pm

Post #80 of 80 (103 views)
Shortcut
you are so damn right [In reply to] Can't Post

"Many of us were more than happy to have "extras" to the book and very excited about the DG storyline/Dwarf history, etc., - all the usable stuff from The Appendices.,....

...until it turned out that actually the basic ingredients were being taken out and beaten to within an inch of their lives, and a whole batch of other ingredients were being substituted, along with various flavourings to enhance the recipe!"

i'm with you 100 %

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.