Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I have yet to see the DOS trailer in a cinema

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 16 (722 views)
Shortcut
I have yet to see the DOS trailer in a cinema Can't Post

We go to the movies frequently and after sitting through the 5-6 trailers before each movie starts I have yet to see the DOS trailer. What determines when it will play? I see the same trailers before a variety of different movies from various companies. Even during the 2D Man of Steel there was no DOS.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2013, 4:54pm

Post #2 of 16 (374 views)
Shortcut
Same for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen about five movies since the new trailer came out, and I have yet to see it before anything. Everything I saw was in 2D though, so maybe it's only attached to the 3D versions.

It still seems really weird...

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 7:17pm

Post #3 of 16 (333 views)
Shortcut
I've just seen it once... [In reply to] Can't Post

...before Man of Steel but that's all, and I go to the movies a lot. It was the same with AUJ too, actually. I see a lot of movies, and because of that I tend to see the same trailers over and over again for weeks or even months, but I think I only saw the AUJ trailer once or twice during the months leading up to the premiere. The teaser trailer about a year before was played a little more but even that was by no means frequent. I could say I saw it less then 5 times. I was actually surprised by how little marketing of any kind I saw for the movie. Crazy

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 7:21pm

Post #4 of 16 (297 views)
Shortcut
Was the Man of Steel in 2D? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand why they go to the trouble of making such a trailer if it is hardly every played. Are they intended more for internet consumption?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 14 2013, 7:26pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 16 (273 views)
Shortcut
It was 3D if I remember correctly // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 9:11pm

Post #6 of 16 (267 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen a Hobbit trailer in theater [In reply to] Can't Post

Not for AUJ, not for DOS. Maybe the theater manager is not a fan of it and LOTR, i dunno.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 9:53pm

Post #7 of 16 (261 views)
Shortcut
I saw it before Man of Steel in 2D [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gone to a lot of movies lately, so don't know if it's being shown anywhere else. I would think they would be really pushing this one. Seems like I see so many trailers repeated for so many other films, I really get sick of them. Maybe they'll start showing it more often in a couple of months. But yeah, they don't seem to be marketing this very intensely. Frown

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:14am

Post #8 of 16 (182 views)
Shortcut
Saw it in 3D... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and NO DOS TRAILER!!!!!!! GAHHHHHH

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 3:38pm

Post #9 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
The head scratcher is who controls which and when a trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

will play...the theater chain? The local theater? I would think that there would be contractual language between the producer/film companies and the distributor about the trailers. Why it did not run with the Man of Steel that I saw or with any other film where I see the same trailers all the time is the question. It seems like a waste of resources to create a theatrical trailer and never run it. Later in the year we will see TV spots.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 15 2013, 3:41pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 15 2013, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
I saw Pacific Rim this weekend (fun!) and ... [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS trailer was not one of what seemed like 30 minutes of trailers before PR started.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 6:57pm

Post #11 of 16 (122 views)
Shortcut
must depend on the theater because... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Pacific Rim yesterday and it had the DOS trailer (2D by the way) So I think it must depend on the theater. and your right it did feel like 30 minutes or more of previews. I actually turned to the guy next to me and jokingly asked," what film did we come to see again?" to which he replied," I forgot" Laugh

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 7:44pm

Post #12 of 16 (115 views)
Shortcut
I called my local Regal Cinema and asked - [In reply to] Can't Post

I was told that it has not played yet and they get a "listing" of trailers to play - I assume from corporate - so, for example, Elysium and The Hunger Games are playing. Maybe later in the summer?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 15 2013, 7:46pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 9:22pm

Post #13 of 16 (88 views)
Shortcut
We say that all the time...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 11:40pm

Post #14 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
We have Regal Cinemas here [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it before Man of Steel 2D. It was the last trailer shown. I ,kind of caused a spectical by shouting and throwing thumbs up with a loud "yes". My family cringed. LOL. I thought it was awesome. The trailer looked fabulous. Can't wait. I loved ever minute of it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 1:51am

Post #15 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
Lucky then as ours did not show it. Really odd how that works out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 8:00am

Post #16 of 16 (47 views)
Shortcut
I just saw a Hobbit trailer in theaters for the first time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in front of Pacific Rim.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.