Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What details do we know about GDT's version?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 14 2013, 5:46pm

Post #26 of 36 (274 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Daniel on this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 10:39pm

Post #27 of 36 (252 views)
Shortcut
I'll agree that Jackson's vision for middle earth was perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

for LOTR but when it when it comes to the Hobbit I feel he missed the mark completely other than the material that followed the source material. As a whole LOTR was perfect and overall brilliant except a few minor changes which I can overlook (Faramir, Denethor, and Aragorn's whole reluctant king nonsense)... The hobbit on the other hand is completely OTT except when it sticks to the book which isn't as often as it should have IMO.

As others have said who would have thought Jackson capable of LOTR by seeing Braindead, or newer films (before LOTR) of his like the Frighteners? I wouldn't have trusted him to do it either. Just because DelToro's style in Hellboy wasn't everyones cup of tea, doesn't mean he wouldn't have done a great job with the Hobbit. At least then it could be explained why the departure in style from LOTR. But for Jackson to do it makes no sense to me. I think DelToro would have made a great Hobbit film granted a bit different from Jackson's but Jackson's Hobbit to me and many others is completely different anyways.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 11:01pm

Post #28 of 36 (238 views)
Shortcut
who would have thought Jackson capable of LOTR by seeing Braindead, [In reply to] Can't Post

The intrinsic quality, novelty, and pure epicness of that story is like a god given gift to any filmmaker...even ed wood would make something of worth with it...

A Peter Weir's Lotr would be much better than jackson's, imo.

I wouldnt call it perfect either...gondor, for instance, is ridiculous...Just a greyish citadel surrounded by a desert and a river city...

Del toro, haha, now that would be an interesting take on the hobbit...

Theres much more than that, but only the fact that he would have shot TH with 35mm film to keep it consistent with the look of lotr, is enough for me to sigh for his departure...

That and a proper, older Thorin Heart

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 1:11am

Post #29 of 36 (229 views)
Shortcut
*Maybe* he would have shot it in 35mm. [In reply to] Can't Post

But, remember, PJ planned to do that, too. It appears the studios insisted going to an advanced technology in order to compete with Avatar and its successors, and once that decision was made Jackson embraced it.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 1:33am

Post #30 of 36 (217 views)
Shortcut
are you sure it was studio pressure? [In reply to] Can't Post

from his statements and video presentations, he seemed pretty excited about those Red cameras and 48 fps and 3D and the rest of the gimmicky stuff...

My respect for popular filmmakers like nolan or tarantino to shoot on film, is increasingly higher by the day

Wink

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 5:16am

Post #31 of 36 (204 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once he got into it he was having a blast. But it was certainly not in the original budget (which went up considerably when this stuff got added), and he did insist for a long time that he had no intention of doing 3D.

Whether there was actually studio pressure only the true insiders know, but that was the impression we got, and it's certainly consistent with statements various executives were making.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:29am

Post #32 of 36 (196 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The intrinsic quality, novelty, and pure epicness of that story is like a god given gift to any filmmaker...even ed wood would make something of worth with it...

A Peter Weir's Lotr would be much better than jackson's, imo.

I wouldnt call it perfect either...gondor, for instance, is ridiculous...Just a greyish citadel surrounded by a desert and a river city...

Del toro, haha, now that would be an interesting take on the hobbit...

Theres much more than that, but only the fact that he would have shot TH with 35mm film to keep it consistent with the look of lotr, is enough for me to sigh for his departure...

That and a proper, older Thorin Heart

Return of the King. 11 Oscars and a fantasy movie winning movie of the year. Not to mention that LOTR book sales increasing exponentially. I'll take PJ any day. Without him not one member of my family besides me would give a crap about Middle Earth right now.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 1:33pm

Post #33 of 36 (154 views)
Shortcut
This is my impression as well Elizabeth. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered when del Toro left if it was because the studio was insisting on 3D but now Pacific Rim put that thought to rest.

(Please note that I don't credit any of the conspiracy theories about Del Toro's departure.)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 1:40pm

Post #34 of 36 (157 views)
Shortcut
Thats where many of us differ [In reply to] Can't Post

Without him not one member of my family besides me would give a crap about Middle Earth right now.

That's where I say we all differ, my family wife and 2 teenage sons all love to read, My wife read her first Tolkien book earlier this year (the Hobbit) and fell in love with the story she was ehhh about Jackson's version so far. Both my teenage sons (19 and 16) have been reading the Hobbit and LOTR since they were young, actually started by me reading the books to them. Both my sons prefer the books to Jackson's films. I will say my sons loved LOTR and thought the Hobbit was "ok" and "pretty cool" but both think it would have been better sticking closer to the source material.

Anyways the reading of Tolkien in my family has been something going on for years, my mother read Tolkien to me, I read it to my children, and probably when I get them, grandchildren. If not my kids reading it to their own children. I think its all about what you enjoy. I would much rather read Tolkien than have Jackson's interpretation of it which I find too OTT and unbelievable. Because when I read I envision the Hobbit in a historical realistic way like LOTR was filmed and to me it works better that way. But my whole family cares about Tolkien's books and middle earth as it was written, and will long after Jackson's films have been remade.Wink

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 9:46pm

Post #35 of 36 (109 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

makes sense to me.

Though in an interview wiith del toro in 09 he did say his next film was going to be in 3D, while del toro was going for 35 mm film...

For me, its a pity that he has chosen the cartoony stuff rather than the serious cinema aesthetic.

Mitch king? Winning oscars means nothing. Plenty of unnoticed masterpieces, by the academy.

And you shouldnt regard that best picture oscar as a single reward for rotk, but rather as a trilogy achievement, which it was.

Had another director done lotr your family might very well be interested as well, and had it been a brilliant filmmaker rather than jackson, even better.

I know some family members of mine who dont even care to go deeper into tolkien territory because the movies gave them a simplistic, teenaged view of tolkien.

Peter Weir meh?

Rent Master and Commander Tongue

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jul 15 2013, 9:50pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 11:32pm

Post #36 of 36 (119 views)
Shortcut
and makes me sad del Toro did not [In reply to] Can't Post

... I love his ideas... perhaps in his Cabinet of Curios book we'll see some of these.

but, different of opinion, works for me. Smile

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.