Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Moving swiftly on to carnivores – Beorn/Mikael Persbrandt

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 5:36pm

Post #1 of 23 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Moving swiftly on to carnivores – Beorn/Mikael Persbrandt Can't Post

I'm an enthusiastic watcher of Scandinavian drama. I love the 'real' characters in them, young and old, with interesting and characterful faces, and find many of the plots gripping.

I've just been watching Beck – a Swedish crime drama that includes wit and dry humour. It was only after seeing a few episodes of this that I cottoned on to the fact that one of the main actors is Mikael Persbrandt, who will be playing Beorn (call me thick if you will).

I think he's a terrific actor and is an excellent choice for the character. I can't wait to see how he will portray Beorn. I just hope they don't plaster too many prosthetics onto his face. He needs to look 'shaggy' in some way, but he doesn't need to have his face altered to a major degree. He is very tall and has the right physique and presence to play the character (as I imagine him) in human form. I hope he will be recognizable as the actor. Smile

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 23 (685 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that you like Scandinavian drama... [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Swedish and Danish dramas and crime thrillers has been on the rise for some time now, and some of them are quite good actually. If you haven't seen Easy Money ("Snabba cash" in Swedish) you're in for quite a treat. IMO, that's actually the grittiest and most realistic crime drama ever to come out of Scandinavia.

Beck is not one of my favourites, although Persbrandt is really good in those movies, as always. He's one of Sweden's most beloved actors, even though he's somewhat of a bad boy and party animal. I can't wait to see him in DOS, and I also hope they don't cover him up in too much prosthetics. That would be a shame. In retrospect, I'm also very glad that his run-ins with the law didn't stop him from partake in TH.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 8:30pm

Post #3 of 23 (674 views)
Shortcut
Prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading somewhere how Richard Armitage mentioned that Beorn's face will have prosthetics, but that you'll still see Mikael's natural blue eyes. I can't find that article anymore though, maybe someone else can?

Regarding Mikael himself, i'm not really familiar with any of his work, but seeing all the praise he gets from the people on set, i really can't wait for his performance. Also, judging by the few interviews we've got of him, he seems to take his role as Beorn very seriously.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 8:33pm

Post #4 of 23 (690 views)
Shortcut
Beorn as bear and as a man... [In reply to] Can't Post

And here I thought you were going to move the discussion into the nature of Beorn. The Skin-changer insisted that visitors remain indoors when he went out at night. My presumption is that Beorn had little or no control of his bear-form and didn't trust that he could insure the safety of his guests. His vegetarian diet while in Man-form might have been a self-imposed penence for the bear's savagery.

Beorn doesn't seem to have been fully at peace with his dual nature until after the Battle of the Five Armies. Perhaps in the battle he discovered that he could indeed keep control of his actions while in bear-form?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 8:35pm

Post #5 of 23 (656 views)
Shortcut
Here is the thread you mention: [In reply to] Can't Post

Clicky.

And the (translated) quote:

He is really big and looks unbelievable. His head, you can't believe it. He has also prosthetic but you can see his blue eyes, James Nesbitt confirms about Mikael Persbrandt's character.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 12 2013, 8:36pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 8:40pm

Post #6 of 23 (615 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to read that again, as i forgot about the "He is really big and looks unbelievable. His head, you can't believe it." partSmile

Seems like it was James Nesbitt rather than Richard though, my mistake.

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 9:44pm

Post #7 of 23 (675 views)
Shortcut
*SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon that after seeing Thorin be slain he grabs hold of his own emotions and avenges Thorin, his friend, by shredding Bolg to pieces. After this event he grasps the concept of being able to control himself whilst in bear form. Cool

I simply walked into Mordor.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 9:56pm

Post #8 of 23 (638 views)
Shortcut
He certainly has been kept under lock and key for these films! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is the one major actor who has been absent from any interview / discussion that I have seen.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 10:18pm

Post #9 of 23 (610 views)
Shortcut
And we can actually confirm it with the DoS trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a thing that stood out for me, that those eyes by the door were Persbrandt eyes!

By the way, wanted to ask, in one of the earlier Vlogs, where they were making the dwarves camera tests there was a big head to a side, could that head be related to Beorn?

And in another Vlog, the one where Beorn's house was introduced, there is a moment where they show the scene being filmed with the dwarves from behind a camera and in a side screen of that camera we see the scene is different, there are animals and a big man that in this case i'm more sure it's Beorn.

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

(This post was edited by Oleander Took on Jul 12 2013, 10:21pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:39pm

Post #10 of 23 (574 views)
Shortcut
It's great that we will see the blue eyes – they are quite piercing. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I also hope his features will not be obscured by prosthetics and that they do not make him look ugly.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:52pm

Post #11 of 23 (574 views)
Shortcut
I get my fix of the Scandinavian dramas when they are shown on UK TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I also buy them on DVD. However, some good ones are not available on DVD in the UK, Snabba Cash being one of them. When it comes to Beck, for some inexplicable reason only films 16 onwards are available for UK viewing! Very odd. I like some of the Beck films more than others – the one about the art collectors, for example, is excellent – but overall every film keeps my attention. I do appreciate the low-key humour…

In Reply To
Both Swedish and Danish dramas and crime thrillers has been on the rise for some time now, and some of them are quite good actually. If you haven't seen Easy Money ("Snabba cash" in Swedish) you're in for quite a treat. IMO, that's actually the grittiest and most realistic crime drama ever to come out of Scandinavia.

Beck is not one of my favourites, although Persbrandt is really good in those movies, as always. He's one of Sweden's most beloved actors, even though he's somewhat of a bad boy and party animal. I can't wait to see him in DOS, and I also hope they don't cover him up in too much prosthetics. That would be a shame. In retrospect, I'm also very glad that his run-ins with the law didn't stop him from partake in TH.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 12:24am

Post #12 of 23 (574 views)
Shortcut
Though I haven't seen Beck [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, I think Mikael Persbrandt will be a great Beorn. I've only read Scandinavian literature, such as The Prose Edda, as I have thing for Norse myths. Having said that, when I thought Beck, I though the rock musician Beck from the 90s, ya know, the one that sang "Loser". Crazy Call me thick if you will.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 12:04pm

Post #13 of 23 (473 views)
Shortcut
You and me both. [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing more – I really hope we won't get any spoilers of Beorn (or Smaug) before the film comes out. I don't mind brief/shadowy glimpses of the characters, but that is all I want to see (if that) before I see the film.

I would, however, love to see some interviews with Mikael Persbrandt, discussing his character and/or the film production.

In Reply To
Call me thick if you will.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 13 2013, 12:04pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 1:57pm

Post #14 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
We did see a glimpse of a huge bear [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it's unsure if that was Beorn - I hope not, that would be out of character.

But yes, he's really shining with his absence.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 2:13pm

Post #15 of 23 (474 views)
Shortcut
Acting Chops [In reply to] Can't Post

If you really want to see his acting chops, watch In a Better World. It's a powerful movie and really shows what a talented actor he is. He is going to make an outstanding Beorn. I am going to go out on a limb and say he is going to be one of the big surprises and Beorn will definitely come out of this a fan favorite of the movies.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 3:49pm

Post #16 of 23 (440 views)
Shortcut
I'll check that out! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much – and I have a feeling you may be right about his coming appearance in DoS.

In Reply To
If you really want to see his acting chops, watch In a Better World. It's a powerful movie and really shows what a talented actor he is. He is going to make an outstanding Beorn. I am going to go out on a limb and say he is going to be one of the big surprises and Beorn will definitely come out of this a fan favorite of the movies.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 12:32am

Post #17 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Some glimpses will be fine, but I don''t want to be spoiled. I like surprises, and I want Beorn and Smaug to be a big surprise.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 15 2013, 6:31pm

Post #18 of 23 (291 views)
Shortcut
Carnivores? Beorn?? n/m [In reply to] Can't Post

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 10:38pm

Post #19 of 23 (280 views)
Shortcut
Bears are carnivores. [In reply to] Can't Post

So Beorn in his bear form is a carnivore. Was that what you were asking? (I had been discussing ungulates in another post, hence I 'moved on' to carnivores.)

In Reply To
Carnivores? Beorn??

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 15 2013, 10:45pm

Post #20 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
No, bears are omnivores, but you missed the point... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So Beorn in his bear form is a carnivore. Was that what you were asking? (I had been discussing ungulates in another post, hence I 'moved on' to carnivores.)

In Reply To
Carnivores? Beorn??

As noted in his wiki:

He lives with his animal retinue (horses, dogs, sheep, and cows, among others) in a wooden house between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood, to the east of the Anduin.
According to Gandalf, Beorn "does not eat them; neither does he hunt or eat wild animals".[1]

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

(This post was edited by Brandybuckled on Jul 15 2013, 10:47pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 11:00pm

Post #21 of 23 (275 views)
Shortcut
Bears are most definitely carnivores in scientific nomenclature [In reply to] Can't Post

They are of the order Carnivora, family Ursidae. Some carnivores actually eat very little meat, or none at all in the case of the Giant Panda. But they all descend from a small, civet-like carnivore that lived on Earth 60 million years ago, and belong to the same carnivore family.

In Reply To
As noted in his wiki:

He lives with his animal retinue (horses, dogs, sheep, and cows, among others) in a wooden house between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood, to the east of the Anduin.
According to Gandalf, Beorn "does not eat them; neither does he hunt or eat wild animals".[1]

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 15 2013, 11:01pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 11:35pm

Post #22 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn is one of the very few things I'm looking forward to whenever I see DoS, but as my second favorite Tolkien character I've been eager to see him in any form.

I have no problems with prosthetics as long as they convey the character in a way that feels authentic and not fake. An excellent actor can do great things in make up and while I haven't seen any of Mikael's Swedish work, I like that others are praising him.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jul 17 2013, 8:51am

Post #23 of 23 (235 views)
Shortcut
Snabba Cash/Easy Money is out in UK cinemas this Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

So you can either have a look at your local cinema listings (though you'll likely miss out unless you have a decent independent cinema) or else it should be out on DVD in about four months.

In Reply To
I also buy them on DVD. However, some good ones are not available on DVD in the UK, Snabba Cash being one of them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.