Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shout Outs to Lord Of The Rings

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 2:36am

Post #1 of 21 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Shout Outs to Lord Of The Rings Can't Post

so I've been thinking of putting together a video showing the shout outs to Lord Of The Rings that appears in the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I can think of quite a few obvious ones but there are some I may have missed and I need your help. I'm not looking for musical cues because that's a given. I'm talking about similar shots,quotes,actions etc I can name a couple for example

the flashback to the battle of Moria with Azog is like Sauron in the Battle in Mordor in FOTR the villian comes in with a big mace and takes out multiple people at once he kills the father/Grandfather of the hero the two fight and the hero gives the villian a wound to his hand. even some of the shots are similar.

The Ring Falling on Bilbo's Finger exactly like it will to Frodo in FOTR

Thorin picking up an arrow and saying "Elves" before throwing it down Legolas does the same thing in FOTR with a goblin arrow

There are more I'm sure but those are a few examples as to what I'm looking for

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 2:39am

Post #2 of 21 (650 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf cracking the rock in the Trollshaws. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf on the bridge in goblin town facing down the great goblin.

"The word 'beauty' is as easy to use as the word 'degenerate.' Both come in handy when one does or does not agree with you."

"Any questions?"

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 3:34am

Post #3 of 21 (589 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Light of the sun when cracking the rock to petrify the trolls and the light at the end of the battle of Helms Deep to blind the Uruk hai.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 3:49am

Post #4 of 21 (562 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

A bunch of orcs got killed.

Hobbiton was full of Hobbits.

Gandalf had a hat.

Rivendell was full of Elves.

Gollum has odd choices in food.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 3:52am

Post #5 of 21 (574 views)
Shortcut
I just finished watching TH [In reply to] Can't Post

and I noticed that Gandalf says "It's yours now" to Thorin regarding the Key the same way he said it to Frodo regarding the ring.

That should be an interesting project. Let us know when you finish it.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 4:28am

Post #6 of 21 (549 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf telling Thorin not to be rude to the Elves parallels Gandalf telling Pippin not to speak to Denethor.

I believe Gollum sings new lyrics to the same tune that he sung in the Forbidden Pool scene of The Two Towers.

Saruman chiding Radagast's use of mushrooms parallels Saruman chiding Gandalf's "love of the Halfling's leaf" in FOTR.

There are many others, I am drawing a blank.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 6:34am

Post #7 of 21 (507 views)
Shortcut
A couple in Bag End: [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf banging his head on the chandelier and using his power to make the shadows lengthen and him appear to grow in size when he gets angry with the Dwarves arguing, just like he does with Bilbo in FotR.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

boldog
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 8:13am

Post #8 of 21 (472 views)
Shortcut
the isengard theme when saruman appears [In reply to] Can't Post

the song that Gollum sings in the pools of ithilien is sung in his cave
also maybe for the next two films....
could we possibly hear some snippets of the lotr main theme. You know, the one when the feollowship leave Rivendell, and it is full on epic! or when Aragorn, Legolas and gimli are hunting the uruks?
I can see them playing this possibly when we see legolas...

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:18am

Post #9 of 21 (431 views)
Shortcut
There's also [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum talking to himself in a pool (Riddles in the dark and RoTK)

Horsemen encircle individuals on foot (Elves "threatening" dwarves in The Hobbit and the Rohirrim circling Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas in TTT)

The similarities between the Company being in the midst of a thunder battle and the Fellowship crossing the pass of Caradhras - falling snow/stones and bad weather

The pans and fly-overs on the map of Middle-earth

A few PJ's so-called "Puncuations" during the Warg-Chase in The Hobbit and the Warg attack in TTT - Wargs jumping or falling on top of the screen

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Glum
Bree

Jul 12 2013, 12:10pm

Post #10 of 21 (396 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure whether you'll like this idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but Amon Sul became a pretty scary place in both FOTR and AUJ ;-)

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 12:22pm

Post #11 of 21 (387 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call them shout-outs.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but they're similarities and connections for audiences to make when watching all six movies in order Smile

There is a lot in AUJ:

Bilbo blows a smoke ring at the beginning of FOTR and AUJ.
Eagles and the moth Wink
Crossing mountains (Caradhras and Misty Mountains) whilst being attacked, lightning is present in both.

I had loads in my head the other day and now I've forgot Tongue ah well....

Oh! They were both directed by Peter Jackson! Laugh

I simply walked into Mordor.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 2:26pm

Post #12 of 21 (352 views)
Shortcut
And This [In reply to] Can't Post

"Let have a little more light" Bag End scene AUJ. Moria scene FOTR.

micha84
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 7:45pm

Post #13 of 21 (313 views)
Shortcut
All these many many things... [In reply to] Can't Post

People have pointed out lots of big and small things already, that refer back to LOTR. Refer "back" is why I have a bit of a problem with it. All these "shout outs" to LOTR basically mean that you have to watch LOTR first.

If you really start with AUJ and make your way to ROTK, all these "shout outs" in The Hobbit make no sense. A prime example is Frodo's bit in the prologue. These are nostalgia moments for LOTR fans.

Bit of a shame, I wish they would have approached the Hobbit as if it was to be watched (and could be watched without problems) first. But that's not quite the case.

I was watching the beginning of the FOTR EE today and was surprised how well that prologue (incl. the exposition on the Shire) would work even if you cut it in front of AUJ. Because the 3 Hobbit films also heavily revolve around the return of Sauron. And because there basically is no exposition on the Shire and Hobbits at the beginning of The Hobbit trilogy... it's really best to watch LOTR first.

(This post was edited by micha84 on Jul 12 2013, 7:46pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 8:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (295 views)
Shortcut
You might like to read this, micha84. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was watching the beginning of the FOTR EE today and was surprised how well that prologue (incl. the exposition on the Shire) would work even if you cut it in front of AUJ. Because the 3 Hobbit films also heavily revolve around the return of Sauron. And because there basically is no exposition on the Shire and Hobbits at the beginning of The Hobbit trilogy... it's really best to watch LOTR first.

Your thoughts reminded me of Eric M. Van's guess post on "Imagining Peter Jackson's The Hobbit". In Part 2 of his posts, he also mentioned the two prologues. You can read it here.

I quite like his theory. Is it likely? I'm not so sure. If there were to be some sort of "Ultimate Edition", I'd hope for more extended scenes as well.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 11:33pm

Post #15 of 21 (271 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if this counts but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in AUJ we have Gandalf speaking to Galadriel about the importance of small things and the everyday deeds of normal folk, and in FoTR she essentially conveys that same message to Frodo by telling him that even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 12:11am

Post #16 of 21 (256 views)
Shortcut
great ones Guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

in AUJ we have Gandalf speaking to Galadriel about the importance of small things and the everyday deeds of normal folk, and in FoTR she essentially conveys that same message to Frodo by telling him that even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

And that's what's gonna end the video!

there's been some pretty good ones in here some I haven't even thought of. I thought of some more today like Gimli and Gloin not understanding elvish I'll wait a a bit before starting on it

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2013, 4:16am

Post #17 of 21 (236 views)
Shortcut
You have to watch LotR first? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think most of the connections could just as easily be made watching the Hobbit first. There are very few that "make no sense" IMO.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2013, 4:30am

Post #18 of 21 (243 views)
Shortcut
a few more (I don't think I'm repeating anything already mentioned) [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot of Gandalf standing on the rock with the sun behind him after turning the trolls to stone is similar to when he appears to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimil as Gandalf the White.

Gandalf telling Thorin they have "questions that need to be answered" is similar to his line to Frodo when he leaves Bag End.

The weird zooming effect when the Necromancer shows up is similar to that one shot when Frodo looks down the road before his first encounter with a Ringwraith.

Gandalf facing the Great Goblin on the bridge is similar to him facing the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad-dum.

Smaug's eye looking similar to the Eye of Sauron.

The shot of Bilbo writing in his book in AUJ is the same as when he's writing in FOTR and when Frodo's writing in ROTK.

Balin and Dwalin mourning outside the gates of Moria after the battle of Azanulbizar, and the Fellowship mourning Gandalf's death at the same spot.

This one might be a stretch, but I always thought it was kind of funny. When the Balrog first shows up, Gandalf puts in a few words before he finally tells the Fellowship to run. Which is kind of similar to what happens when Azog shows up at the end of AUJ. Gandalf and Thorin have their little "Out of the Frying Pan..." moment, and THEN Gandalf tells them all to run.Tongue

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 13 2013, 4:31am)

Lala

Jul 13 2013, 11:46am

Post #19 of 21 (223 views)
Shortcut
The giant pumpkins! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one that Bilbo jumped over when he was chasing Thorin & Co looks very similar to the one Frodo nearly bumped into in the inn at the end of ROTK!Wink

micha84
Rivendell

Jul 14 2013, 6:14pm

Post #20 of 21 (144 views)
Shortcut
Minor problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, what does someone make of Frodo in AUJ? Why the Hobbit/Shire exposition at the start of the 4th film? No introduction on who Saruman is or where Galadriel comes from in AUJ, and then you get all that exposition in film 4? Are you really trying to say these are very minor points and don't pose a problem to storytelling at all when you watch the LOTR after the Hobbit?

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2013, 3:13pm

Post #21 of 21 (121 views)
Shortcut
Gollum using he same exact line [In reply to] Can't Post

to Bilbo he did with Frodo and Sam except aubstitute dark for marsh. and Gandalf whole speech to Bilbo reaks of his talk with Frodo in Moria about when to take a life or spare one

two I can think of just off the top of my head

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.