Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Zealand's national orchestra to record "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" soundtrack
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 9:10pm

Post #51 of 62 (476 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a picky eater but have eaten things I wouldn't normally because nobody told me what was in the food.

Doug Adams
Bree

Jul 13 2013, 2:51pm

Post #52 of 62 (439 views)
Shortcut
Just Shorthand ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suppose on further reflection "Smaug" might have simply been Doug's shorthand for DoS...

For some reason, I've been slow to adopt the standard Hobbit abbreviations. Sorry!

Doug Adams
Bree

Jul 13 2013, 2:54pm

Post #53 of 62 (434 views)
Shortcut
Mum 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are we even close with the idea.. Laketown will be sorta Eastern European in flavor?

Bomby

I honestly cannot say. You'll see/hear soon!

Doug Adams
Bree

Jul 13 2013, 3:00pm

Post #54 of 62 (431 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Thanks! It could be worse ... I'm just glad I didn't have to calm nerves back in 2002 when they switched boy soprano soloists: "So, let's talk about puberty, everyone ... "

This is a breeze compared to that potential discomfort! ;)

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 3:07pm

Post #55 of 62 (430 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if you're allowed to say this [In reply to] Can't Post

But do you know when Howard Shore will start working on the music for DoS? Or is he already doing so? By working i don't just mean recording the music, but also writing the music, getting the inspiration, etc etc.

I'm not really familiar with how this process usually goes, so i'm not sure when composers usually start working on movie soundtracks.

Doug Adams
Bree

Jul 13 2013, 3:18pm

Post #56 of 62 (433 views)
Shortcut
Already [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But do you know when Howard Shore will start working on the music for DoS? Or is he already doing so? By working i don't just mean recording the music, but also writing the music, getting the inspiration, etc etc.

I'm not really familiar with how this process usually goes, so i'm not sure when composers usually start working on movie soundtracks.

He likes to work very privately, so I won't say much in order to respect that. But I think it's safe to say he's hard at work now, and has been for some time.

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 3:21pm

Post #57 of 62 (409 views)
Shortcut
That's all i needed to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Smile

Finrod
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:21pm

Post #58 of 62 (412 views)
Shortcut
Abbreviations [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I suppose on further reflection "Smaug" might have simply been Doug's shorthand for DoS...

For some reason, I've been slow to adopt the standard Hobbit abbreviations. Sorry!

Yeah, I donít understand why people donít just use Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. Itís a whole lot easier that way.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

hutch
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 6:11pm

Post #59 of 62 (400 views)
Shortcut
Nice well balanced post [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a very diplomatic point of view. I'm not a musician or businessman but I am the layman these films are marketed toward and all I can say about the switch up of AUJ's soundtrack is that it annoyed me to no end and seems less a CREATIVE decision than a MARKETING one (trying draw audiences back into LOTR, as if I couldn't do that with new pieces of music.)
It just seemed like such a lazy decision that dilutes the pieces of music when they get used agin in LOTR. If you have any contact with Howard Shore you can let him know that at least one person thinks the new music he created should've been used. Such a HUGE disappointment for me. I just don't know what happened to the Peter Jackson who didn't want to recycle himself or put "modern thinking" into Tolkien stories. Ah well.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 2:46pm

Post #60 of 62 (345 views)
Shortcut
Music themes in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

While AUJ had much recycling concerning pre-existing themes (Shire, Rivendell, Galadriel, Gollum, Ring et al), I wonder if DOS would offer a chance to hear some extraordinary new themes. As we progress into the story, we visit new locations which would require their own themes, whereas the ones familiar through LOTR should become less and less.

What do you think?

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Noria
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 3:00pm

Post #61 of 62 (336 views)
Shortcut
I hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the older themes used in AUJ worked OK as we revisited characters and places we had seen before in FotR, but I do hope we move on. I suppose that The Hobbit and Ring themes will still crop up and maybe A Hobbit's Understanding.

I love much of the new music in AUJ and the Erebor theme is one of my favourites. I wouldn't mind seeing it replace the Misty Mountains as the Dwarves primary theme.

Ref
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 3:18pm

Post #62 of 62 (342 views)
Shortcut
RE: DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very disappointed in that decision. The London Philharmonic are just exceptional musicians and I worry for the score.

Having been to many classical concerts, the talent gap between good and sublime is immense.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented chezsandrine.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.