Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
GDT still hasn't seen AUJ
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 9:23pm

Post #51 of 69 (355 views)
Shortcut
And I would prefer Hayao Myazaksi or Terrence Malick to do The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

But that sure ain't happening

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 9:50pm

Post #52 of 69 (344 views)
Shortcut
I don't know them [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can't speak to their abilities.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 10:02pm

Post #53 of 69 (339 views)
Shortcut
shame on you [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:03pm

Post #54 of 69 (334 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry :( [In reply to] Can't Post

lol

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 10:06pm

Post #55 of 69 (330 views)
Shortcut
might i suggest The New World by TMalick? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

It will never be the same if you see it at home with an HD screen...but its better than nothing.

At the cinema, it was the best cinematic experience of my life.

Unparalleled cinematic beauty.

A mix of David Lean, Weir, and Malick would make the perfect filmmaker for Lotr.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:12pm

Post #56 of 69 (327 views)
Shortcut
I remember that coming out [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt its put back in theaters but ill see if I can find it on cable sometime.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 10:15pm

Post #57 of 69 (319 views)
Shortcut
Yeah sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

some festivals or cinematic nights organised by cineclubs project older films or non mainstream movies.

Who knows...

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:18pm

Post #58 of 69 (314 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone in a while AMC will run special events like that. Good call.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:22pm

Post #59 of 69 (327 views)
Shortcut
One thing to consider is the highly "interpretable" nature of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter who did the project, dialogue would need to be interpolated and visual details would need to be specified - to say the least and at the bare minimum. All of this requires an element of creativity and interpretation that leaves and version open to criticism of this kind (failure to stay true to source material) - especially where these kinds of details in any given scene would inevitably miss the images generated in any one individual's own imagination.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 10:27pm

Post #60 of 69 (316 views)
Shortcut
I figured, but I'll see it anyway. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saw this last night at 7pm pst. It's a fun movie but fairly average as a whole with little emotion in the story. All, I kept thinking was I'm glad GDT skipped out on The Hobbit.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:42pm

Post #61 of 69 (309 views)
Shortcut
It's worth checking out [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd get it on blu for the monsters and robots.

Silmaril
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 6:46am

Post #62 of 69 (292 views)
Shortcut
thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem...

glor
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 7:33pm

Post #63 of 69 (267 views)
Shortcut
GDT time delays: they do make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT prior to being offered the Hobbit made it clear in several interviews he hated fantasy. Now whilst I have nothing against GDT or his films, I felt that GDT was looking for a big flagship Hollywood/Oscar project to pin his name to and he saw TH as that project, nothing more. When the delays with TH got in the way or risked the possibility of GDT losing out on other films he wanted to do, he left.

Do not misunderstand me, there is nothing wrong with director wanting a career nor, with someone taking on a film project with which they have no preconceptions or love, sometimes that can be a plus, fresh eyes and all.

The one thing that unnerved me about the Del Toro announcement was his turn around, he did do some pretty swift backtracking regarding his disparaging remarks about the fantasy genre in interviews when he was announced as the helm for The Hobbit. He also made comments indicating that he left the Hobbit because of the time delays that were affecting his ability to make other career defining projects.

I agree, I don't think this had anything to do with a PJ versus GDT conflict of any sort, most directors, aside from those few who have already reached the pinnacle of acclaim and success(Scott, Spielberg etc), would have seen The Hobbit as a career defining moment that had the potential to propel them into the higher eschalons of film therefore granting them a licience( read open cheque book) to persue their dream projects, GDT was just one of those directors whose career could have lept into orbit.

Honestly if GDT was trying to cover up any hypothetical falling out with PJ, he could have just lied in the interview and said he saw AUJ and quite liked it, no one would have been any the wiser!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 13 2013, 8:48pm

Post #64 of 69 (257 views)
Shortcut
Miyazaki [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know them So I can't speak to their abilities.

Hayao Miyazaki is an anime director and founder of Studio Ghibli. He has directed such classic animated films as: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds; Laputa: Castle in the Sky; My Neighbor Totoro; Princess Mononoke; and Spirited Away.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 11:28pm

Post #65 of 69 (234 views)
Shortcut
Got ya [In reply to] Can't Post

Him being an anime guy makes sense why I haven't heard of him. I don't particularly care for anime so again that would be why.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 14 2013, 9:36am

Post #66 of 69 (216 views)
Shortcut
As you love The Hobbit, you might enjoy Spirited Away and possibly Howl's. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are different types of Anime. He specializes in the type that charms and bewonders.

In Reply To
Him being an anime guy makes sense why I haven't heard of him. I don't particularly care for anime so again that would be why.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 14 2013, 2:24pm

Post #67 of 69 (194 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to look those up and see what they're about. I'm not opposed to checking something new out. Thank ya sir! :-)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 8:45am

Post #68 of 69 (175 views)
Shortcut
+1 , except I haven't seen Hellboy. [In reply to] Can't Post

The things I didn't care for in The Hobbit are the things that Del Toro probably would have done, too. I'm blah Jackson went on to do The Hobbit, and I doubt that del Toro was pushed out in any way. I can well imagine that he was just frustrated as one thing after another caused delays. Unlike del Toro, Jackson LIVES in NZ and was better placed to wait out a movie that was trying to get made there.

Permanent address: Into the West

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 2:49pm

Post #69 of 69 (178 views)
Shortcut
Frustration [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I have no doubts he was pretty fed up at the end and don't blame him for walking away.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.