The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
[Sauron vs Durin's Bane] The Lord Of The Rings vs The Flame of Udun

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 10 2013, 8:48pm

Post #1 of 6 (1061 views)
Shortcut
[Sauron vs Durin's Bane] The Lord Of The Rings vs The Flame of Udun Can't Post

So heres's an Interesting Question : Who would win in a 1 on 1 battle , balrog or sauron ???
Well once both of them were Maiar who where seduced by Morgoth !!! and both fought for him !!! I think it will be an intresting and a fair fight !!! btw , here are their heights and Weapons !!!

Durin's bane - 3.40 meters - Fiery whip , Flaming sword

Sauron - 2.72 meters - One Ring, Mace, and sword

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 8:53pm

Post #2 of 6 (914 views)
Shortcut
With the One Ring, Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Even without the Ring I think he could win.

Put it this way: the Balrog was slain by Gandalf the Grey-Sauron would easily be a match for Gandalf whether Grey or White.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 10 2013, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 6 (922 views)
Shortcut
I disagree ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even without the Ring I think he could win.

Put it this way: the Balrog was slain by Gandalf the Grey-Sauron would easily be a match for Gandalf whether Grey or White.

well i respect your choice and i too think that sauron would have won ( if he had a ring ) , but i don't think your example With gandalf doesn't really proves it !!! well first of all Gandalf was killed too , also Sauron(physical form) was killed by Isildur, a man , who (you will probably agree) was much weaker than both Balrog and Gandalf Wink !!!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 9:24pm

Post #4 of 6 (913 views)
Shortcut
True, but [In reply to] Can't Post

(From Tolkien Gateway, since it's easier than me trying to come up with an explanation):
Wink
"Gil-galad and Elendil fought Sauron and cast him down, but were both slain,[3] and Elendil's sword Narsil was broken when he fell. His son Isildur used the broken sword to cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand."

The two high-kings bringing down Sauron I can certainly buy into. The film at least seems to emphasize that Isildue would have certainly lost had he not cut the Ring from Sauron's hand. That was (at least in the film) his only cause of victory.

These power contests always intrigue me, simply because nothing is really written in stone-perhaps that's the best thing about Tolkien's world: despite all the evidence and rich background he provides, he leaves so much to the reader's interpretation. Thing is, power contests are not like a game of Top Trumps, hence why it's so interesting. Often the underdog wins, e.g. Eowyn and Merry vs the Witch-King. In PJ's film version is at even at one point implied that an Orc could have killed Gandalf the White!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jul 10 2013, 9:25pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 2:56pm

Post #5 of 6 (953 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Metaphorical eyeball versus metaphorical wings!

The Balrog seems to have been temporarily thwarted by Gandalf's word of command. Sauron's One Ring seems to be an actual ring of command. Thus given Saruon's apparent mastery of spells of command, the Balrog is defeated.

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:12am

Post #6 of 6 (960 views)
Shortcut
SAURON [In reply to] Can't Post

Balrogs just never have impressed me! Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.