Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shore's Hobbit Wins Colonne Sonore Award
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 11 2013, 12:14pm

Post #26 of 30 (231 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the only times where i felt it was a bit overused, was when Gandalf broke the rolling boulder with his staff in Goblintown and when the dwarves came to Bilbo's defense at the ending scene vs Azog and his orcs. Also, the Fellowship theme was also heard lots of times in FOTR, but people don't really seem to have a problem with that. I think this is partly because the Fellowship theme is a lot more suited for repeated uses, whereas i think the Misty Mountains theme is more suited for rare, special occasions.

Regarding the OST and the music in the movie, i think they mostly did a good job with that. The only parts that i didn't really like (regardless if they made sense or had a connection) was the Breaking of the Fellowship theme during Gandalf's chat with Galadriel and the Gondor Reborn(?) theme during Thorin's hug.

The Nazgul theme, for example, didn't really bother me. Even though the music that was originally made for this scene is probably my favorite bit of the whole OST, i still prefer the Nazgul theme being played in this scene, simply because i think it fits better and syncs better with the visuals. Here is a vid to compare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqZNTFd2O8

I understand why they left out the Necromancer theme, because they probably didn't want to spoil/make it so obvious yet that the Necromancer is Sauron.

The only thing i'm kinda hoping for that they include in the EE, is the ending of A Good Omen in the final scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKI_Va8VtTI

Also, don't forget that it was probably both PJ AND Howard Shore who made the decisions to change some of the music in the final film. It's not like they just reused old music from LOTR. Most of it was actually reorchestrated, which suggests Howard Shore was behind the changes aswell. So don't just take the easy route of blaming PJ for everything.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 3:17pm

Post #27 of 30 (185 views)
Shortcut
yup me too [In reply to] Can't Post

the music didnt really register with me at all. All I remember is the Misty Mountain theme being used a lot and old LOTR stuff, the rest was largely Anonymous background music.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 12:27pm

Post #28 of 30 (178 views)
Shortcut
It's an interesting phenomenon [In reply to] Can't Post

that those of you who dislike AUJ also dislike or hardly noticed the score. The opposite seems to be true for those of us who love the movie; as far as I can tell most also seem to love the music of AUJ.

I noticed the same thing on other sites about LotR. People who didn't like the movies called those scores derivative, bombastic, intrusive and melodramatic. As a fan of symphonic movie scores and of the LotR movies, I disagreed.

I wonder - do people dislike the score of AUJ because they dislike everything about the movie and do others love the music because they love the movie? I suspect its a back and forth thing positive or negative feelings about the movie as a whole contributing to the same feelings for individual aspects such as the music, there and back again.

I've listened to the AUJ SE CD many times and watched the movie just to hear the actual soundtrack. I love both, especially the new themes, particularly Erebor. As with LotR, I love the operatic quality of the score as a whole, the way in which it almost tells the story itself.

And congratulations to my fellow Canadian, Howard Shore.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 3:59pm

Post #29 of 30 (162 views)
Shortcut
could be, but It doesnt apply to me, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to like AUJ very much and I went into the cinema excited and happy to see the film. My mind was open. The fact that I liked parts of the film and still didnt notice the music, makes me think that its not as distinctive as LOTR for whatever reason. I also love LOTR score and cinematic synphonic music like Ennio Morricone. I am not poo pooing just for the fun of it. I really dont think its the same quality as LOTR or they didnt use much of the score in AUJ.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 9:30pm

Post #30 of 30 (162 views)
Shortcut
I second this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to cheer with delight every single time it played as epicness happened on the screen. So, yeah... have never been able to understand people's claims that it is 'overused'. I have only been able to figure that they think its awesomeness is diluted by too many repetitions - not my viewpoint!

I am pretty confident a lot of what we hear on the SE soundtrack (which I listen to All. The. Time) will appear in the EE. It only makes sense.

Three cheers for Howard Shore and his amazing work. Heart

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.