Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Best AUJ screenshots
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 11:10pm

Post #26 of 50 (507 views)
Shortcut
These are great, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

That second screencap with the Eagles is beautiful. I don't even remember seeing Gandalf in the background behind the Trolls as shown in the fifth screencap – that's a great shot.

The design of all these scenes is so atmospheric and they are all so different from each other. Makes me appreciate the massive creative effort that has gone into the film.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2013, 11:11pm

Post #27 of 50 (499 views)
Shortcut
Space removed, you can see the pic now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your selections, Lusitano!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 11:15pm

Post #28 of 50 (492 views)
Shortcut
Thanks but it doenst seem to be working [In reply to] Can't Post

i snet a pm to an administrator...i hope you guys can fix it...

I love the first one and it doenst work , grrrr Angelic

EDit : all done! Thank you.

Glrofindela : thank you! Indeed , they are some of the most balanced and visually impressive shots form auj...

Rivendell, for instance, loks great here for mem, unlike most of the other scenes...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jul 10 2013, 11:16pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 11:37pm

Post #29 of 50 (505 views)
Shortcut
A few more shots [In reply to] Can't Post

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 11 2013, 12:03am

Post #30 of 50 (477 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That shot of the eagles is my favorite shot from the film! Smile

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 11 2013, 3:25am

Post #31 of 50 (472 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil riding on an [In reply to] Can't Post

Irish Elk. Just wanted to clear that up, it looks like an extinct irish elk, but I keep hearing people call it a moose, or just "elk." Then again, I think some european countries call their moose elk, so that may be adding to the confusion. Shocked

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 9:23am

Post #32 of 50 (416 views)
Shortcut
It is an Irish Elk (extinct indeed) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think elks are called moose in North America, elks in Britain.

In Reply To
Irish Elk. Just wanted to clear that up, it looks like an extinct irish elk, but I keep hearing people call it a moose, or just "elk." Then again, I think some european countries call their moose elk, so that may be adding to the confusion. Shocked

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 9:26am

Post #33 of 50 (426 views)
Shortcut
I notice you've added Thranduil and the Irish Elk [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of my favourite visuals, too – as are quite a few other moments from the Erebor sequence.

In Reply To
Glrofindela : thank you! Indeed , they are some of the most balanced and visually impressive shots form auj...

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 11 2013, 9:26am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 12:47pm

Post #34 of 50 (404 views)
Shortcut
Two of my favourite screencaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is why they ended up in the Ring circle motif at the top left of this page.Laugh

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 11 2013, 2:40pm

Post #35 of 50 (366 views)
Shortcut
Luistano..your second shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

...On Ponies going down a switchback trail!
It looks to Bomby as if that Rock formation
in the center could be the remains of a Lookout post?
Low wall where archers could have hid?

It is likely just another Crazy Rock formation that are
ALL over NZ,
but it is similar to the remains of Weathtop..
or that amazing Castle Ruins?
we saw in the FOTR, before the
Ravens came spying on them from Saruman.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2013, 3:07pm

Post #36 of 50 (365 views)
Shortcut
North American elks and moose [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually in North America we have both elks (Cervus canadensis) and moose (Alces alces), but nothing in this day and age that resembles Thranduil's ride. Cool

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 3:15pm

Post #37 of 50 (347 views)
Shortcut
humm [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont think its meant to be the same place as that fortress...

the fellowship wa stravelling south after rivendell, this is before the trollshaws...

I dont think its weathertop neither...we went there with azog, it didnt look like this rock formation...

But is uppose it can be anywhere between the shire and the trollshaws...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 3:15pm

Post #38 of 50 (370 views)
Shortcut
Indeed – and how confusing! [In reply to] Can't Post

North American mammals are not something I know a great deal about (apart from the carnivores).

Incidentally, I did see a huge pair of magnificent mounted elk antlers in an antique shop in Herefordshire (Britain) a couple of months ago. I was tempted, but unfortunately don't have a baronial hall in which I could install them…

In Reply To
Actually in North America we have both elks (Cervus canadensis) and moose (Alces alces), but nothing in this day and age that resembles Thranduil's ride. Cool

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2013, 3:16pm

Post #39 of 50 (359 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful screenshots! [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I can never resist a good helicopter shot like this one, or this one...

(I think Maria and the children are in these somewhere... The hills are alive and all that...Laugh)

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2013, 3:28pm

Post #40 of 50 (353 views)
Shortcut
Another decorating option [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're a little cramped for space, you could collect a few more and turn the antlers into a fabulous throne...Wink Unfortunately I can't find a good picture of Thranduil's to post...

In Reply To
North American mammals are not something I know a great deal about (apart from the carnivores).

Incidentally, I did see a huge pair of magnificent mounted elk antlers in an antique shop in Herefordshire (Britain) a couple of months ago. I was tempted, but unfortunately don't have a baronial hall in which I could install them…

In Reply To

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 3:33pm

Post #41 of 50 (362 views)
Shortcut
I've taken to Thranduil's throne with a passion… [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, it might be a little uncomfortable to sit on.

In Reply To
If you're a little cramped for space, you could collect a few more and turn the antlers into a fabulous throne...Wink Unfortunately I can't find a good picture of Thranduil's to post...

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2013, 5:39am

Post #42 of 50 (285 views)
Shortcut
elks vs moose [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Idaho (US) and there are both moose and elk here. An elk is similar to Thranduil's, although their antlers are not quite as wide-they are more tall but thinner with many points. A moose's antlers, however, look like tiny wrists protruding from its head going into giant hands with many fingers-one on each side and an elk's face looks similar to a deer in structure whereas a moose's face looks more stocky and they have a flap of skin hanging from their throats similar to the gizzard on a rooster.

Just google pictures of moose and elk (try North American moose and elk for good measure) and you will see what I mean.

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:48am

Post #43 of 50 (275 views)
Shortcut
The Cervus species looks more like what we would call a deer in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

It has much slimmer antlers than Alces laces. It's not unlike the UK native Red Deer (Cervus elapses), of the same genus as the North American species. Do you also have 'deer' in the US?

A quick hunt on the Internet came up with the following with regard to this issue:

'Is it an elk? Is it a moose? If you’re in Sweden, the answer is “BOTH”! The iconic, majestic forest dweller Alces alces is known as a moose in North America (actually the sub-species Alces alces americana) and an elk in Europe. The word elk, like the Swedish word älg (pronounced /elj/), is taken from the Latin alces. To make matters even more confusing, elk in North America is used for an entirely different animal – a kind of deer, Cervus elaphus, otherwise known as a Wapiti.'

At least they all belong to the same family, the Cervidae. (Apologies for lack of italics for scientific names of species from genus level down.)

In Reply To

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2013, 12:04pm

Post #44 of 50 (273 views)
Shortcut
US deer [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, we have them. They look like this.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 1:59pm

Post #45 of 50 (247 views)
Shortcut
Dear me. Confusion reigns (not unusual when it comes to taxonomy!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty animals, those White-tailed Deer.

Many thanks for posting this.

Smile

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 3:36pm

Post #46 of 50 (235 views)
Shortcut
Handy comparison pic [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this picture comparing the silhouettes of the 4 main types of deer-like fauna in North America. If memory serves me right, didn't some of the concept art for the Erebor dwarves include caribou/reindeer as draft animals?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 4:23pm

Post #47 of 50 (224 views)
Shortcut
Where be the picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

The animals in the Erebor sequence were only seen from a distance, but they looked to me like ibex of some kid – perhaps something like the Alpine Ibex (Capra ibex), which lives in mountainous areas, specifically the European Alps. They seemed to have the types of horn that ibex carry, and it would make sense for ungulates like that to be in this sequence.

There was also a statue in the city which someone on this forum pointed out to me, but that looks like an African antelope of some kind. (Dunno what that is doing there.)

In Reply To
I found this picture comparing the silhouettes of the 4 main types of deer-like fauna in North America. If memory serves me right, didn't some of the concept art for the Erebor dwarves include caribou/reindeer as draft animals?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 4:52pm

Post #48 of 50 (229 views)
Shortcut
Statue in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

The horns are a bit off, but the Dale statue looks like a juvenile of a species similar to Capra ibex, which would be a local animal for a "mountain" city.
Here's a comparison.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 5:24pm

Post #49 of 50 (210 views)
Shortcut
Interesting – that could well be the case. [In reply to] Can't Post

Adult male Capra ibex have huge, backwards-curving horns, and it seemed that from a very far distance some of the beasts that were with the Dwarves during the exodus looked a bit similar to such beasts.

In Reply To
The horns are a bit off, but the Dale statue looks like a juvenile of a species similar to Capra ibex, which would be a local animal for a "mountain" city.
Here's a comparison.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 12:15am

Post #50 of 50 (200 views)
Shortcut
Ach my bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I've attached it to this post.

The animals that appear in the exodus scene do look similar to the ibex, particularly their lengthy horns.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.