Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Reach of PJ's Arm has grown Long Indeed?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 6:58pm

Post #1 of 23 (579 views)
Shortcut
The Reach of PJ's Arm has grown Long Indeed? Can't Post

When his first Movie came out, he was still off most people's radar.
New Zealand? Where's New Zealand?

So it was really fun to see where these Movies took the
Cast members, the Country, the Crew since.
It would take days to expand on this idea...
but Ain't it Great!

This success couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Bomby

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2013, 9:16pm

Post #2 of 23 (369 views)
Shortcut
Paradise [In reply to] Can't Post

I am concerned for New Zealand.

The final lines from Don Henley's song, The Last Resort, from The Eagles' album Hotel California say it best:

"You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye."

Wiki (article):
http://en.wikipedia.org/...e_Last_Resort_(song)

YouTube (song):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekytTpFy96o

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 9 2013, 9:21pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 11:47pm

Post #3 of 23 (291 views)
Shortcut
Too true, unfortunately./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 4:36am

Post #4 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
Yup, and he's still a nice guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with all his millions, he has the courtesy to not only acknowledge his fans, but remains so....un-Hollywood! I was completely astounded when he showed up at the Torn/Red Carpet Hobbit Premier Party in Wellington and stayed for over two hours to meet the fans there. I think every single person got to meet him, say a few words, have him sign an autograph or take a photo with him, whatever they wanted. (It was the highlight of my trip there!) He was so patient and gracious! A very, very nice guy indeed!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 4:44am

Post #5 of 23 (267 views)
Shortcut
Though one never knows entirely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

This success couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Bomby

what someone is like other than their purely public face, I have every reason to like SPJ. He strikes me as a very earthy and essentially happy and positive person and seems to surround himself with the same.

Snippets of things like his wearing old sneakers on the red carpet are simply endearing.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 6:12am

Post #6 of 23 (259 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, [In reply to] Can't Post

there is plenty to worry about in New Zealand, and these worries would still be present whether or not Peter Jackson had been successful.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 11:33am

Post #7 of 23 (240 views)
Shortcut
He wasn't entirely of my Radar [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the Frighteners several times as a kid before I saw LOTR, and its still a film I really enjoy to this day, but I sure wouldn't have picked him to direct a Tolkien film (I was wrong!).

He is undoubtedly a very nice guy, and whatever my issues with his films, you can't really fault the character of a man who wears trainers to a film premiere...

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 12:07pm

Post #8 of 23 (245 views)
Shortcut
the first film of his i saw [In reply to] Can't Post

... was heavenly creatures. i thought it was incredible and impressively disturbing.

(jed brophy is in that one as well, btw....)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 12:08pm

Post #9 of 23 (243 views)
Shortcut
what [In reply to] Can't Post

what ails new zealand? just a curious foreigner's question. it's a lovely land, and seems enlightened in many ways ('tho of course, no country is an untroubled paradise).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 12:12pm

Post #10 of 23 (234 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

he does seem to care about the fans. It helps me to excuse SOME of the stuff he's done to our beloved stories. Not all of it, but some.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 12:29pm

Post #11 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I'll ever forgive him for the abscence of the talking purse...

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:28pm

Post #12 of 23 (225 views)
Shortcut
Since I love the movies he's done I guess I don't feel so miffed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I must admit I didn't care for The Two Towers. But I never blamed him for my dislike of the film. I also realize that it's not just whether a film maker follows or doesn't follow a book exactly, but whether they stick to the spirit of such, and I believe he's done that. Others don't share this belief, and that's fine. I just hope those people don't expect something completely different in the next two films, what with the same writers, director, artistic company, actors, etc. (You know what they say the definition of insanity is....)

BTW I love your 'handle' sherlock! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:38pm

Post #13 of 23 (220 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'd like to know too [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I've been there several times and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Maybe it's the influx of out-of-towners that the success of the films have brought? I can vouch for what can happen, living in Hawaii as I do. We're a tourist industry, and I actually enjoy the people coming (and going) through. But like us, New Zealand is an island. A much bigger island to be sure, but nevertheless there is a finite area of expansion. Honolulu is a sprawling city now, and getting....sprawlinger. As the song goes, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Sad, but true. Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 23 (192 views)
Shortcut
Environmental degradation [In reply to] Can't Post

is what I'm talking about:

NZ Association of Scentists President, Shaun Hendy points out: “On a per-capita basis we have one of the highest levels of greenhouse gas emissions in the world and data from NIWA’s National Rivers Water Quality Network shows that our water quality is declining, with the health of a large proportion of our lakes in danger from agricultural run-off”. [Monday, 26 November 2012, 5:15 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Association of Scientists]

The above really has nothing to do with tourism. Some parts of NZ have trouble with freedom campers, but we are mostly managing to mess up the environment without any help from the outside world.

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 6:19pm

Post #15 of 23 (202 views)
Shortcut
I am no book purist by [In reply to] Can't Post

a long shot. I love FOTR & ROTK and TTT I like but don't love. I think some of his changes and omissions were great and others not so much. I enjoyed AUJ very much but think the dwarves are too clownish and the use of CGI was too much. Love the Bilbo and Gollum scene and lots of other things about it but it hasn't taken me over the way FOTR did.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 10 2013, 7:24pm

Post #16 of 23 (188 views)
Shortcut
Flying over the North Island in summer [In reply to] Can't Post

is an education in just how much of our forests has been replaced by pasture.

I don't know how much we can do about methane emissions, unless we develop a grass that causes cows to fart less.

I do feel for the poor farmers: We rely on farming for our GDP and a great many of them go to expensive lengths to meet their Resource Management Act requirements, only to have their work undone by some farmers who don't care about where dairy effluent goes just as long as it's off their farms.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 7:53pm

Post #17 of 23 (177 views)
Shortcut
What is it that you didn't like about TTT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was it Filmamir? Cliff-diving Aragorn? Something else altogether?

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 7:57pm

Post #18 of 23 (179 views)
Shortcut
I'll ask you like I asked Old Toby... [In reply to] Can't Post

What makes you put TTT down lower than the other two? Which changes and omissions were not to you liking? Smile

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 10:19pm

Post #19 of 23 (171 views)
Shortcut
You know, with FOTR I wanted to watch it over and over [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so with TTT. I don't have any problem with additions/subtractions/plot alterations etc. For the most part, I think everything worked well together and made sense. I think there were two main things I didn't care for in TTT: what's become of Faramir and the battle at Helms Deep. In the case of Faramir, I can say that my disgruntlement (is that a word?) was because I really loved his character in the book, and I felt his character, in this particular film, was changed significantly. I don't like it when a character I like has been altered for the worse. (On the other hand, I love what they did with Thorin in AUJ, a character I couldn't care less about in the book. Which just goes to show you my unjust judgement in the former case. At least I recognize my own hypocrisy.) But I think he redeemed himself in ROTK.

Helms Deep was fun to watch the first time. After that, I found it long and boring. At least I had no desire to rewatch TTT as I did FOTR, which I couldn't seem to get enough of, and even ROTK when it came out the next year. Maybe it was the middle-child syndrome. Oh, and I also didn't care for the ending music, Gollum's song.

On the upside, I absolutely adored Theoden's soliloquy, reciting the "Where is the horse and the rider?", as he was getting his armor put on. I get chills just thinking about it.

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 10 2013, 10:21pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 2:57pm

Post #20 of 23 (126 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes sense. There are just some things that you come away from without the need to rewatch. That's very similar to how I came away from AUJ, so I know what you mean.

Sometimes I do wonder what the film would have been like if Helm's Deep hadn't been made the huge battle/climax that it was. It would be vastly different, that's for sure. That probably could have even led to a more book-like Faramir and Shelob being in this film.

I don't know, just some thoughts. I mostly love the film the way it is, but I wouldn't be averse to seeing a different adaptation some day.

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 5:52pm

Post #21 of 23 (124 views)
Shortcut
I pretty much agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

but wanted to add that I didn't like conflicted Aragorn going over the cliff, how they portrayed treebeard, changes to Faramir and Saruman's death. I liked Helm's Deep, the trees at Isengard, and Theoden and The Rohirrim. I should watch the theatrical version of TTT next time I watch it because I feel that most of the scenes put back in the extended version shoud have been left out but I believe there are some I liked. It's been a while since I've watched TTT but I just finished watching FOTR and will watch it soon. Trouble is now I want to watch Pride & Prejudice again after watching that video of Colin Firth. So many books and movies and so little time!Wink

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 5:58pm

Post #22 of 23 (126 views)
Shortcut
And I forgot to add that [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problem with changes when they work. Love what they did with Boromir and Thorin!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 11 2013, 11:07pm

Post #23 of 23 (133 views)
Shortcut
Cast, Crew, Country? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. PJ launched::
Orlando Bloom, Viggo, Dom, Billy, Liv, Sean&David, Miranda, & of course... Elijah...
Revived "oleActors" carrers...
JRD, Benrard Hill, John Noble, & of Course
SIMcK..?

2. CREW? endless AWARDS?
Knighthood to SIR Richard Taylor!!!
WETA,What an Industry that has Finally
Come True?

3. Country, don't know
BUT Bomby likes to think
"It's All Good"

bomby

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.