Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How--or rather--What does your garden grow?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How--or rather--What does your garden grow?
Well, taters of course 7 / 5%
Tomatoes 16 / 12%
Cucumbers 6 / 5%
Squash 7 / 5%
Pumpkins 5 / 4%
Silver Spoons 1 / 1%
Green beans 6 / 5%
Lettuce, spinach and/or other Luscious Leaves 9 / 7%
Peppers 10 / 8%
Cabbage, kale, and /or cauliflower 2 / 2%
Broccoli, food of the gods 2 / 2%
Corn 3 / 2%
Weeds 18 / 14%
Flowers (annuals, mostly)  12 / 9%
Flowers (perennials, mostly) 16 / 12%
Perennials and annuals, about equally 8 / 6%
Pheriannath, mostly 2 / 2%
Snow (it's winter here) 0 / 0%
130 total votes

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 6:58pm

Post #26 of 42 (92 views)
Shortcut
Very beautiful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 10:11pm

Post #27 of 42 (91 views)
Shortcut
Cockle shells, silver bells and one lousy petunia [In reply to] Can't Post

That is from my youth Ethel, from where exactly, i dunno. But it is a curiousity that someone may recognize/recall.

My garden consists of grass which i mow and the various wildflowers that have the audacity to grow there. So i mow around them. That's it:)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 11:01pm

Post #28 of 42 (84 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Alassea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I may get a good shot of the front garden and post it tomorrow. Love the garden! Angelic (My inner Sam.)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 6:35am

Post #29 of 42 (93 views)
Shortcut
Breadfruit is pretty bland. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Like undercooked potatoes." But there are probably tasty ways to prepare it. After all, tofu itself is pretty tasteless, too, but tofu dishes with a good sauce are great. The residents of the Pacific Islands do eat quite a lot of it.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 10 2013, 6:36am)

Misto
Lorien

Jul 10 2013, 12:27pm

Post #30 of 42 (76 views)
Shortcut
Also: herbs [In reply to] Can't Post

When I need some seasoning, I usually dash for the garden with scissors in my hand, rather than to the kitchen cupboard, looking for dried powdery things. ;-)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:35pm

Post #31 of 42 (72 views)
Shortcut
Dandelions would be an improvement [In reply to] Can't Post

They at least would entertain the grandkids. What I end up in some areas are wicked goatheads.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 3:59pm

Post #32 of 42 (76 views)
Shortcut
Fences will work, but (and there are several buts) [In reply to] Can't Post

because they have to be at least 6' high or more (and you will find out by trial and error) and totally complete because they will exploit any deficiency. In many areas there are bylaws about how high fences can be. In rural areas such as we are, it's exorbitantly expensive for complete fencing. My vegetable garden, gowing peas, beans, tomatoes, garlic, lettuce, radishes, onions, pumpkins and zucchini, is small enough in area that it's not too bad, and besides my husband made the fences himself.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 10:02pm

Post #33 of 42 (77 views)
Shortcut
We live in a green bush garden [In reply to] Can't Post

completely surrounded by native NZ bush on the edge of the regional park, so I leave it to the birds and geckos to manage. Someone years ago planted rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias here and there amongst the green, so this wintery time of year there are jewel-like colors popping up to cheer us. I recently harvested my one lemon from my potted tree on the deck. Not much sun to be had here beneath the canopy, but there were a few tiny alpine strawberries that lasted quite a while.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 2:45am

Post #34 of 42 (75 views)
Shortcut
asparagus is eaten as spring sprout [In reply to] Can't Post

What you're seeing is the sprout all grown up into a plant. So wait till next spring.

And there's an ornamental plant called an asparagus fern. It's used especially in pots as a filler with other plants.
http://herselfshoustongarden.com/...aragus-plumosus.html

I love Swiss Chard. I wish we could grow it or it was sold in the stores here. It's probably in the farmer's markets but I don't go to them much.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2013, 2:54am

Post #35 of 42 (90 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

Asparagus often needs a few years for the rootstock to get established before it produces the thicker stalks that you're used to. For the first few years they are very skinny and it's just as well to let them go through their flowering cycle without cutting them. We've tried for some years to get them going in our garden but we haven't been all that successful...we have one surviving plant which hasn't reached the producing stage yet. Hopefully it will hang on. Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:02am

Post #36 of 42 (61 views)
Shortcut
What's poblano precious? And we thinks it's [In reply to] Can't Post

amazing being able to grow bananas in Long Island. Are they juicy? Are they sweet?Sly

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:10am

Post #37 of 42 (58 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Now I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was the victim of a bit of false advertising. But the thing is growing well, so I have hopes for next year. I suppose I should mulch it over the winter?

I have heard about the ferns but I'm not sure if they sell them here or not.

Oddly, I got my chard idea from our plain ol' ordiary supermarket chain. They started selling it in both organic and regular varieties at least a couple of years ago. I've tried to grow spinach from seed, but it simply won't grow more than 2 inches high, and there it stays all summer. So when I passed by some chard seedlings at the garden center, I though maybe established plants (and big ones, since chard is so much larger than ordinary spinach) might somehow burst the size barrier, and so far I've been right! They've been growing, and I've been eating!

Hopefully they'll make it to your area soon. Things do tend to spread west after awhile (as a Nebraska native who never encountered a bagel or an English Muffin until going east for college, I can vouch for the trend, which seems to be speeding up).Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:11am

Post #38 of 42 (58 views)
Shortcut
Okay, that does make sense. But [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of sad it takes that long--or hungry!CrazyEvil

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:27am

Post #39 of 42 (62 views)
Shortcut
What great info you have! [In reply to] Can't Post

The better to garden with.Sly
You know you are responsible for saving my tomatoes last year--it was the iron. I'm considering burying old cast iron skillets all over the place in the fall so I don't have to keep buying the granular stuff from the garden store all the time! But it works, and very quickly.

I think you're right about the cherry tree. The young, green fruit this year was very tiny compared to the usual size, and the smallest ones seemed to just dry up and die. We did have a fairly decent crop anyway. I just ate the last of them today, a month after harvest. So, is the idea to cut off some newer branches just before the fruit starts to develop, or just afterwards for the following year?

I've heard of trees that produce fruit that's too heavy, but since that never happens with my cherries and blackberries, I simply didn't pay attention. I do remember reading something about it though. I'd think there would be something that would work. Or you can mail all that annoying fruit to all us TORN-folk. I'm sure we'd all be wiling to help you out, and give it a good home.Angelic

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 13 2013, 5:22am

Post #40 of 42 (69 views)
Shortcut
I hope to find out one day E-D...though my odds are slim! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
amazing being able to grow bananas in Long Island. Are they juicy? Are they sweet?Sly

Hoping to see bananas or flowers (which are magnificent) one year - these are only second-year plants grown from three inch pups and I may only see the fruit if I have a very long season - they are Japanese fiber bananas, which is a rather pasty and seedy sort, but can be cooked if you grow them, and are sufficiently brave! Their leaves are so amazing, they are my touch of whimsy in an otherwise native/wildlife garden...I just love the look and the shade they make. Quite a project to winterize but worth it, as I love them all summer.

Mmm, the poblano peppers are super yummy precious!!!!, sharp but sweet too! Great in Mexican food, I love putting them into saffron rice, also tasty sautéed with egg whites.

*IF* I ever get a banana to flower it will look like this...

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 14 2013, 10:17pm

Post #41 of 42 (55 views)
Shortcut
Roses and geraniums [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the only things flourishing in my garden right now. I'm ashamed to say I've let them get HUGE and out of control - to the point where I'm going to need a chainsaw to prune them! They're pretty much the only things in my yard that survive our hot summers without constant attention, except for the plum tree, the lemon tree and a couple of clumps of pampas grass. On the bright side, the plum tree is producing heavily right now, while the lemon tree just sprouted some new green fruit. And there's some mint by the garage that comes back every year, however I don't trust it because I've seen cats pee on it Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 3:27pm

Post #42 of 42 (61 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to know I helped with your tomatoes!

Cherry trees have a tendency to grow straight up and you want to encourage them to grow sideways.

During autumn dormancy you probably want to top off and hedge your tree at around 8 feet. And when thinning branches during dormancy any droopy branch or any branch smaller around than a pencil is fair game.

During the spring thin young branches to make sure all your blossoms are getting sun. Or you can actually bend the errant branches with ground anchored wires to ensure they spread adequately.

Good luck!

Next spring I'll send along a few crates of peaches for Fiesta.Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.