Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 8:03am

Views: 46
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well according to the appendices, when Galdalf entered Dol Guldur and encountered a mad Thrain and was given the key and the map, he also figured out the Necromancer was Sauron. He then talked to the White Council and urged an attack on Dol Guldur, but Saruman shot that down as he himself had begun searching for the One ring. This was roughly 90 years before Bilbo's adventure. It is only at the time of Bilbo's adventure that Saruman relents and the White Council attacks Dol Guldur and forces Sauron to flee back to Mordor.

Now obviously things have changed in the film adaptation. We are unsure where or when Gandalf met Thrain to get the map and the key. We do know that at the time of Bilbo's adventure Gandalf does not know the Necromancer's true identity, but suspects great evil in Dol Guldur, based on what he says in the White Council meeting. We know Galadriel charges Gandalf with "solving the riddle of the Morgul blade."

So the assumption can be made that at some point Gandalf will go to Dol Guldur, and though it is 90 years later than in the book he will discover the identity of the Necromancer. Which will in turn lead to the White Council's assault on Dol Guldur and Sauron's spirit fleeing. Somewhere in all of that, they will give you your explanation of who Sauron is. Probably in a scene where Gandalf says "I just got back from Dol Guldur and Sauron is living there!"

Subject User Time
Should/will we get an explanation of who Sauron is? SPOILERS Scourge of the Stoors Send a private message to Scourge of the Stoors Jul 7 2013, 8:15am
    I think there will be a few hints Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Jul 7 2013, 10:59am
    I'm fine with a few subtle hints Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2013, 7:08pm
        i nagree that saurons Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 7 2013, 8:10pm
            Ive been on vacation and have only seen the new vlog and trailer on my cell phone Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2013, 8:33pm
                Oh that it explains it... malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jul 7 2013, 9:26pm
                Ahhh Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 7 2013, 9:38pm
                    Well at least he's being honest malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jul 7 2013, 9:52pm
                    What I think would probably get me a lifetime ban... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2013, 10:43pm
                        Well said sinister Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 8 2013, 12:50am
    Gandalf and the White Council need to come to an understanding as to who is the Necromancer Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2013, 11:40pm
        I am perfectly fine with that Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2013, 11:55pm
    Personally MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2013, 1:36am
        The Necromacer in 'The Hobbit' Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 8 2013, 3:36am
    Sauron The Mitch King Send a private message to The Mitch King Jul 8 2013, 7:30am
        It makes sense not to use his name Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 8 2013, 8:32am
    Good thoughts Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jul 8 2013, 5:22pm
    ... kbdiggity Send a private message to kbdiggity Jul 10 2013, 8:03am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.