Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
why does thorin never smile!!??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 4:06pm

Post #26 of 33 (182 views)
Shortcut
Thorin smiles very little in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

but he does smile... Now the one I disagree with that people are saying is a smile I find more a condescending smirk than an actual smile is the one calling Bilbo a grocer rather than a burglar. but it could be seen as a smile I guess. I don't have an issue with Thorin not smiling he wasn't a smiling kind of dwarf in the book so I'm cool with that. I think Armitage is doing a great job as Thorin. I think some of his dialogue stinks but that's not his problem Tongue But I believe I counted about 5 (if you count the smirk at Bilbo's expense a smile) most of them within Baggend

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 4:17pm

Post #27 of 33 (171 views)
Shortcut
because he strikes me as a [In reply to] Can't Post

one noted, dull sort of character, when he smiles, it looks weird to me, as if hes jumping out of character.

We disagree on that aspect.
Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 5:34pm

Post #28 of 33 (144 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting these shots! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the one when Thorin smiles as he's talking to Balin. And the one where he smiles at Kili at the door of Bag End. His smiles are rare, as is understandable, and they are so much more a treat when he does.

For a dwarf who I cared about the least in the book, he's the one I care about most in the film. Such a surprise and a joy for me! I absolutely love RA in this role.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 8 2013, 5:36pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 2:20pm

Post #29 of 33 (103 views)
Shortcut
There's at least one other smile [In reply to] Can't Post

That should not be forgotten. Thorin smiles and almost laughs right after this famous dialogue with Gandalf in the Trollshaws

"So where did you go off to if I may ask?"

"To look ahead."

"And what brought you back?"

"Looking behind."

Queue Thorin smile

I thought that this was a great scene in many different ways. First, it's one of the very great lines from the book that PJ just had to include. Second, it was wonderfully acted on both actor's parts, one of the very best scenes imo, these lines, and the dialogue that followed. Third, it was Gandalf and Thorin's way of making up after their little break out the night before when the ponies went missing, how ever long this peace may last before Gandalf stirs up Thorin's deeply rooted hatred of elves again. But for now they respect each other equally and look to continue the journey together, you can tell this just by the way Thorin looks at Gandalf, and also by the tone in the wizard's voice as he talks to the dwarven king. Fantabulous scene!

_

"You don't really suppose do you that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck? Just for your sole benefit?"
"There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought." - Gandalf the Grey, from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jul 9 2013, 2:22pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 3:12pm

Post #30 of 33 (95 views)
Shortcut
nice catch, burgahobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

and thanks for that screenshot! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 9:33pm

Post #31 of 33 (65 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

And especially nice catches on the first five, Old Toby. It was good to be reminded of all the times he smiled. I don't think I would have remember half of those, and the other ones I didn't even notice. The hug at the end is obvious but the others really aren't. I liked reading your post and looking at the screen caps marillaraina provided, so I felt I had to post that one as well because it is one of my favorite scenes in the Hobbit. Smile

"You don't really suppose do you that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck? Just for your sole benefit?"
"There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought." - Gandalf the Grey, from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 5:33am

Post #32 of 33 (65 views)
Shortcut
He also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...smiles with a proud face seeing Erebor at the end.

...I also think, he has a brief smile when Bilbo reaches them in the forest. He turns his pony and definitely has got something on his face, looking like a smile.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jul 10 2013, 1:07pm

Post #33 of 33 (55 views)
Shortcut
Great catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is the best one yet Lost Hobbit! Very easy to miss. I found the screencaps: slight pony smile 1 and slight pony smile 2

And yes, he smiles at seein Erebor, but he's just generally happy in that scene so I kind of count it all as one smile. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.