Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
BOMBUR has lines in AUJ!!!! And other discoveries
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marillaraina
Rigger

Jul 7 2013, 1:49am

Post #26 of 27 (45 views)
Shortcut
didn't quite say that [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, his death glare cracks me up too.

I didn't say his expression cracked me up, I said the fact that he and Thorin have exactly the same look on their face cracked me up, not in a funny way but in a recognition way. :) Basically because I loved the familiarity it showed. Like uncle, like nephew.

And what I liked about it was that it wasn't "try hard," it was genuine, both by the fact that Thorin was behind him so Kili couldn't actually see his expression and because of his general behavior during the scene.

In fact I think Kili acquitted himself very well in Goblin Town and his relative calm in the face of the Goblin King and being groped by the goblins was part of why. He actually was rather dignified, more than some of the older dwarves. I think if Thorin was paying any attention, which I'm sure he was, given that we're discussing how much subtle attention he actually pays to them :), he was probably rather proud of Kili. He also fought very well, and smartly too.

I thought Fili was nodding to what Kili was saying, because a second later he turns and looks at him in agreement, so I felt the scene showed them backing each other - actually all of them, Thorin, Fili and Kili backing each other up, which was cool without being "in your face" about it. (not mention maybe bit of foreshadowing for the future)

And of course a minute later they both totally ruin the impression by ::lightbulb::"F: If there's a key...there must be a door...K: .There's another way in..." - yes geniuses, thank you both for stating the obvious like you've just discovered the theory of relativity. :D LOL Which I actually thought was kind of sweet, in characterization terms, it showed how very green they really are as well as their positivity. They're so eager to be part of this, make their mark, be useful.

Waaaahhhhh.....it's so damn tragic. Unsure

Werde Spinner
Rigger

Jul 7 2013, 2:12am

Post #27 of 27 (41 views)
Shortcut
Should have phrased that better. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was what I meant - that Kili is so much like Thorin, even down to the death glare. He does try to be like Thorin, and it shows, but there are moments when he is not even trying and the familiarity between them shows. Like any child with their parents, really: there may be certain mannerisms the child consciously tries to imitate, and then there are things, like the way the parent smiles or laughs or says certain words, that the child picks up without trying. It just happens. So I think it's really sweet that Thorin has obviously been involved enough in raising his nephews for this to happen, but - I can't help it - I find it a little funny that of all the things Kili could have picked up unconsciously from Thorin, that death glare has to be one of them!

It serves him well, though. You're right. He really does give a good account of himself in Goblintown. He doesn't freak out like Ori, and he shows a lot of ingenuity in fighting the goblins - the arrow deflecting trick (I suspect he may be strong in the Force), the ladder trick... yeah, that shows some real thought, not just the screaming and hacking at everything in sight which was probably all some of us were expecting from Dwarves in a battle.

Fili might have been nodding to Kili. Dunno. But he was looking at Thorin as he did it. Yeah, backing each other up. Lol. And then Fili goes and has a blond moment, the poor darling. (Since I am blond myself, I feel that I have a right to make blond jokes as I please. Laugh) They want to be helpful, they want to be hopeful, but they haven't seen everything, have they? It was actually for their cheerful attitude that I first liked them in the book.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.