Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Saruman will be a deciding factor in the assault on Dol Guldur?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 6:55pm

Post #26 of 35 (141 views)
Shortcut
How Far [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not the type to be swayed by uncertainty.

Realist attitudes seldom mix well with fantasy fandom even if we both enjoy the story.

Tongue

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jul 4 2013, 7:01pm

Post #27 of 35 (148 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds pretty straight forward, Saruman will be involved somehow in the battle -- which I am very happy to hear!

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 7:09pm

Post #28 of 35 (134 views)
Shortcut
I just don't see it as such a far stretch... [In reply to] Can't Post

to surmise that Saruman could play the decisive role in the assault like he did in the books, whether it be him or his "devices". I agree that he probably will not, but I would chalk that up to Jackson wanting to let Gandalf take the lead rather than the impossibility of the scenario.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 4 2013, 7:13pm)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 7:15pm

Post #29 of 35 (136 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, just watched it... [In reply to] Can't Post

So it looks like he won't be sitting the battle out after all.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2013, 11:07pm

Post #30 of 35 (113 views)
Shortcut
I had hoped that Saruman would get a "hero" moment at Dol Guldur, thus making his turn in FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

all the more shocking for Gandalf...and future audiences watching the films in order.

More than that, IMO it would work to have Saruman's experiencing Sauron's power firsthand be what partially drives him to ally with him - he did state that none could contend with the will of Sauron.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 4 2013, 11:08pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 2:00am

Post #31 of 35 (109 views)
Shortcut
Saruman desired the attack on Dol Guldur once he discovered Sauron was searching The Anduin [In reply to] Can't Post

He grew fearful, and desired to deny Sauron access to the river.

In Reply To

Saruman is being portrayed as something of an arrogant jerk in AUJ,

He was an arrogant jerk in FOTR as well as in the books aloof and very condescending to Gandalf from LOTR - "Radagast the Brown! ... Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet he had just the wit to play the part that I set him."

In the Silmarillion it says that Saruman used Radaghast to help him search for the Ring in the Gladden Fields, and in the appendices of th LOTR it clearly says at the time of the Attack on Dol Guldur Saruman was already obsessing on the One Ring which is why he tried to block the attack initially.

When irrefutable evidence of the Necromancer being Sauron was presented, he could no longer stand in the way of the White Council and relented or risk having his true motivations revealed. He was already using the Palantir for many years by this point, so it was more than likely his betrayal via the Palantir which allowed Sauron to escape. That was OK, because now he could search inimpeded by Sauron even though it was found centuries earlier. All that is canon and mostly found in the LOTR appendices, thus fair game for PJ to use.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 12:33am

Post #32 of 35 (41 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hate it when people take jabs at the Star Wars prequels like its the "cool" thing to do. You think you could have made those movies better than George? Give me a break.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 12:38am

Post #33 of 35 (34 views)
Shortcut
I Agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that Saruman can participate as much as Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel in the fight scenes. Episode III was filmed not that long ago and Lee's character had a pretty intense fight scene. If you are using a stunt double then 4 days is easily enough time to get enough shots of both Lee's dialogue and face to put in the film.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2013, 6:11am

Post #34 of 35 (34 views)
Shortcut
Ad Absurdum [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You think you could have made those movies better than George? Give me a break.

In other words, only directors who have the resources to make movies can criticize them? Give ME a break.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 11:29pm

Post #35 of 35 (27 views)
Shortcut
The cool thing to do? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's universally agreed upon the prequel films were worse than the original trilogy, and were reviewed poorly both back then and now. But hey, whatever you want to believe is fine too!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.