Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
FOTR and AUJ Continuation error?

nhui06
Rivendell

Jul 3 2013, 5:52pm

Post #1 of 20 (1222 views)
Shortcut
FOTR and AUJ Continuation error? Can't Post

I was re-watching my FOTR EE Blu Ray the other day, and noticed old Bilbo was looking for Frodo as he was doing his introduction, saying something like "where is that boy?" before we go to our first scene with frodo sitting by a tree waiting for Gandalf. However, in AUJ, didn't Frodo tell Bilbo that he was going off to surprise Gandalf? Why would Biblo be asking where Frodo is then (unless he has amnesia)....

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 6:04pm

Post #2 of 20 (704 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

''I'm old, Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart''...and head ;)

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Jul 3 2013, 6:04pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 20 (658 views)
Shortcut
I think they've established his failing memory pretty well [In reply to] Can't Post

He forgot it was his own birthday, after all!

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 7:56pm

Post #4 of 20 (531 views)
Shortcut
I caught this as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was re-watching my FOTR EE Blu Ray the other day, and noticed old Bilbo was looking for Frodo as he was doing his introduction, saying something like "where is that boy?" before we go to our first scene with frodo sitting by a tree waiting for Gandalf. However, in AUJ, didn't Frodo tell Bilbo that he was going off to surprise Gandalf? Why would Biblo be asking where Frodo is then (unless he has amnesia)....

I think Aitieuriskon nailed it, though.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2013, 8:06pm

Post #5 of 20 (528 views)
Shortcut
Continuity [In reply to] Can't Post

The word you're looking for is 'continuity.'

It's easily rationalized by assuming that Bilbo is so busy with planning, he can't even remember talking to Frodo not all that long ago. Frodo did say to Gandalf, "You're late!" So it wasn't just a few minutes. It was a lot of minutes. Maybe a couple of hours. Maybe more. Maybe Bilbo expected Frodo back by then, so he was really speaking to Gandalf's lateness if they both expected Gandalf sooner.

I will admit this is pure rationalization. It could also be that Jackson, Boyens, Walsh and del Toro all don't consider things too well, or don't care, when they write such stuff so long as it suits the movie at hand.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 3 2013, 8:15pm

Post #6 of 20 (494 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf was late........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok he wasn't late nor was he early he arrived exactly when he meant to........

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jul 3 2013, 9:10pm

Post #7 of 20 (452 views)
Shortcut
feeling stretched [In reply to] Can't Post

And he misplaced the Ring too, of all things.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 9:56pm

Post #8 of 20 (405 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I do understand the OP's sentiment, though. I think there is a slight discrepancy between Bilbo's forgetfulness in FotR (which pertained mostly to the ring) and that in AUJ (where it has extended to encompass pretty much everything except writing his book).

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 1:43am

Post #9 of 20 (374 views)
Shortcut
About PJ, FW and PB, if that's true, that's disheartening... but I'll wait the EE of AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ + FOTR (theatrical) = no continuoty errors
AUJ EE + FOTR EE = who knows...

I'll just have faith in the trinity.

Or we'll have to wait for a FIXED super EE of the esalogy.
Just remove that Bilbo's sentence/scene and we are fine.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2013, 1:49am

Post #10 of 20 (369 views)
Shortcut
We had some discussion on this [In reply to] Can't Post

a few months back and there were several theories about it. You can read everyone's speculations and explanations here.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 1:59am

Post #11 of 20 (352 views)
Shortcut
A or B [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer 'A,' my fan rationalization. And I think it's reasonable.

I only include 'B,' my cynical speculation, to have something to offer for everyone - the optimist or the pessimist - and because it's possible, coming on the heels of feminine energy and Azog and what that's done to the historical truth of Middle-earth.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 2:23am

Post #12 of 20 (363 views)
Shortcut
In truth.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's because PJ and crew probably overlooked the FOTR EE opening and made a mistake. I find it a tad funny that some are coming up with "in-universe" explanations as to why, but in truth, PJ probably just overlooked it. As Gandalf said "An easy thing to miss." Not everyone's perfect, so...

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 3:16am

Post #13 of 20 (334 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's hair changed. And Frodo got younger.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 5:11am

Post #14 of 20 (310 views)
Shortcut
Missing It [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe it to be nearly impossible for three and a half intelligent writers to miss something like that. How does that stipulation speak to your opinion of the writers? Any excuse that they all forgot may be just as overly forgiving as in-universe explanations.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 5:15am

Post #15 of 20 (333 views)
Shortcut
"Where is that boy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I expected him to be back by now!

... wasn't he just headed down the lane?

... is he coming soon - like any minute now?

etc.

Of course it could also be

... I have no idea where he is at all!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 5:51am

Post #16 of 20 (308 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never thought of it as a continuity error, because I don't take that line exactly at face value.
I can say, "Where is such and such?" at work, for example, and it doesn't mean I have completely forgotten, or have no idea where they are, it just means I don't know exactly where they are right at that moment, or exactly when they are coming back.
Or, it could mean, "They should be here by now," or quite a few different things.

glor
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 12:05pm

Post #17 of 20 (257 views)
Shortcut
Correct: Where is that boy! [In reply to] Can't Post

your first answer.

Where is that boy ! is common expression in England at least, that means why is he taking so long, it doesn't literally mean, where is he, I haven't a clue where he is, it means what's taking him so long, he should be between point a and b. It is an expression of exasperation.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 7:52pm

Post #18 of 20 (183 views)
Shortcut
Where he was [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the first. Wasn't Frodo sitting under a tree reading a book before Gandalf turned up? Looks like he had a long wait and Gandalf really was a good deal later than Frodo and Bilbo had expected.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2013, 8:15pm

Post #19 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
You mean like the way he over-looked Old Bilbo's hair-do? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, I thought old Bilbo in the prologue looked completely different than the Bilbo in the LOTR films.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 5 2013, 5:25pm

Post #20 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed, but now I'm going to notice. You ruined it for me! Laugh

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.