Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who do you think Tom Bombadil was ???
Poll: Who do you think Tom Bombadil was ???
 Eru Ilúvatar (the one ) 0 / 0%
one of the Valar 2 / 5%
Maia 9 / 22%
Alatar or Pallando (blue wizards) 0 / 0%
Incarnated Spirit of the Music of the Ainur 13 / 32%
Tolkien himself 5 / 12%
Valar Aule 0 / 0%
Embodiment of Arda 12 / 29%
41 total votes

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 3 2013, 1:57pm

Post #1 of 19 (432 views)
Shortcut
Who do you think Tom Bombadil was ??? Can't Post

As you may already know J.R.R Tolkien never really confirmed the identity of Tom Bombadil !!! He said that some things should remain mysterious in every mythology , hidden even to it's inventor.
There has been many theories about the nature of Bombadil , I'd like to know which one do you believe is true ???
(I'm going to suggest all theories I've heard even though some of them might seem unreal to me Smile )

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 3 2013, 7:19pm)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 3:50pm

Post #2 of 19 (215 views)
Shortcut
It's the enigmas that we never get tired of trying to answer [In reply to] Can't Post

On a higher level, I like the argument that he's the embodiment of Arda and/or the incarnation of the Great Music. I see those as overlapping if not the same, since both are pretty amorphous.

At other times, I feel more practical, and think that he was an eccentric Ainu.

As a reader, I find it unsatisfying that he's not explained. But at other times, I like to think that he falls outside the whole Arda framework and for that reason is someone that Sauron could not easily overcome, or maybe never could. So like many things, my opinion depends on the day of the week. Today, he's Arda in boots.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 19 (211 views)
Shortcut
PS [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we have you here in person, Wi-King, can we have a little Q&A with you about that vid of you and the blond girl? Did you ever fear her? Have any doubt at all? If you had to do it all over again, would you run away from this fight, or just kill the hobbit first?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 3:57pm

Post #4 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
I plumped for JRRT's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

because that's I think the closest answer to that intentional enigma he left us with. I would have to eliminate Eru because in Letter # I-can't-remember-quite-now he says that The One does not inhabit any part of Ea.

I shan't harass you with interview questions, like my learned colleague. Will just *wave* from a distance and compliment that amazing mace. (Explains the 'distance' as well as the lack of questions...) CoolWink

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 19 (200 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like I called him a sissy and said, "You couldn't hit a barn door with that cheap mace, could ya, boy?" But that would be a gallant thing to say to deflect him from Eowyn. For a minute or two.

But, sure, Brethil, stand quietly there like a tree and hope he doesn't chop you down. That is so Entish of you. Just bury my pummeled corpse once he's decamped, okay?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2013, 4:08pm

Post #6 of 19 (205 views)
Shortcut
i'm more curious about that helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

like... do you have to take that helmet off when you go under bridges? or do you just let a little air out of your fell beast, in order to make the clearance?

re tom bombadill.... i'm one of the few (i think) that do not trouble myself much over him. he seems unto himself, and content in his patch, and i let him be.

tolkien himself said he did not know what tom was, and it wasn't important to know... and perhaps the greater value was in having mysteries unsolved in middle earth.

cheers : )

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2013, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 19 (208 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

also, if one of the poll choices had been "julie andrews," i would have chosen that. because they're both really good singers.

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 19 (192 views)
Shortcut
You may have something there [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
also, if one of the poll choices had been "julie andrews," i would have chosen that. because they're both really good singers.

I can see Tom filling in as Mary Poppins too, in a pinch.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2013, 4:29pm

Post #9 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
such a vision! [In reply to] Can't Post

such a vision, tengwadil!!!

and a bit scary.

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 4:45pm

Post #10 of 19 (198 views)
Shortcut
I shall embalm you with salt. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

But, sure, Brethil, stand quietly there like a tree and hope he doesn't chop you down. That is so Entish of you. Just bury my pummeled corpse once he's decamped, okay?

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 5:12pm

Post #11 of 19 (178 views)
Shortcut
"The hills are alive...with the sound of hey dol merry dol!" *ugh* // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2013, 5:23pm

Post #12 of 19 (177 views)
Shortcut
Who is Tom Bombadil? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a recent, interesting and lengthy discussion of this very question, here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 3 2013, 6:02pm

Post #13 of 19 (182 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Witch-king of angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since we have you here in person, Wi-King, can we have a little Q&A with you about that vid of you and the blond girl? Did you ever fear her? Have any doubt at all? If you had to do it all over again, would you run away from this fight, or just kill the hobbit first?

well as you know i was pretty sure that she was a man and "no man can kill me" so i had nothing to be afraid of, the main cause of my death was the astonishment and surprise as she was the first "man" that was not afraid of me ,that's why i didn't see the hobbit coming ... Smile Smile
If i had a second chance i would probably be more careful and serious , i would use that cool fire magic that i used on Gandalf and would kill her before the hobbit came Laugh Laugh Tongue

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 3 2013, 7:23pm)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 7:58am

Post #14 of 19 (137 views)
Shortcut
You might need an "Other" category [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard other theories about Tom, though you did hit most of the popular ones. One that isn't listed is that he's a nature spirit of an unknown type, separate from the Valar and Maiar. For example, a "Father Nature" type being or an unknown third order of the Ainur.

Of all these, I lean towards the embodiment of Arda option. Though that begs the question why he would be limited (or choose to limit himself) to the Old Forest. Perhaps because it reminds him of the great primeval forests that once spread all across Middle-earth?

sam90
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 11:46pm

Post #15 of 19 (93 views)
Shortcut
Who is Tom Bombadil? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a though call.. He is the strangest fellow to appear in the tale of LOTR and not much clues is left to us to guess what he might be. The thing is, he is powerful in it's own fashion. For the Ring hold no power on him and the barrow-wright flee before him. He is older than rock and trees and yet mysterious. I would say he could very well be one of the Valar, as they are known to have taken shapes of man and woman of old to interact with the Elves and teach them knowledge. He does not meddle in business of Middle-Earth, like any Valar and his the Master of the Old forest and walked far and abroad long ago. That may explain why he let in the hand of others, the destiny of Middle-Earth for he is above this and Tom Bombadil IS.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 9 2013, 11:49pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:40pm

Post #16 of 19 (82 views)
Shortcut
Spirit of the earth [In reply to] Can't Post

he is linked to the earth. From The Coming of the Valar Book of Lost Tales Part one

"yet must they not be confused with the Eldar for they were born before the world and are older than its oldest and are not of it so that is is for the most part a play for them"

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Jul 10 2013, 3:43pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 11:44pm

Post #17 of 19 (69 views)
Shortcut
Tom and Goldberry [In reply to] Can't Post

represent the yin and yang of yugan
{''And that is only one side of me''it.}

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 11:57pm

Post #18 of 19 (69 views)
Shortcut
He's as old as dirt. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, he is the embodiment of Arda.

"He is."

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Jul 11 2013, 12:02am

Post #19 of 19 (112 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad to see that the Incarnated spirit of the Music of the Ainur made it on your list... I am flattered. I am also excited no one (so far) has voted for Aule, Hargroves essay on this is a great read but the theory has many issues... For anyone interested in reading this theory and why the other theories don't add up look here: http://www.whoistombombadil.blogspot.com/

Happy Reading!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.