Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No pickup shooting to be done for the third film?

Balderdash Baggins
The Shire

Jul 2 2013, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 8 (1050 views)
Shortcut
No pickup shooting to be done for the third film? Can't Post

The facebook posts from PJ about the actors' last days of filming have got me wondering. Weren't there additional pickup shots done for The Two Towers, and then again for Return of the King? It seems as though, with the third Hobbit film now pushed back to December of 2014, there's still a possibility of more pickup shots next year for the final movie. Any thoughts about that?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2013, 8:54pm

Post #2 of 8 (657 views)
Shortcut
Approximately 10 weeks of additional filming has been undetaken [In reply to] Can't Post

For both The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Mirkwood, Laketown, Dol Guldur etc), and The Hobbit: There and Back Again (mainly BO5A). All the major scenes and re-shoots would have been planned for this year. If something major comes up that they need to re-do, then they probably will do it next year. But since they've dedicated a significant amount of time this year to re-shoots, I'd expect they have filmed/re-shot everything they hoped to have filmed. They have also had time to look over all the footage for the next two films, so nothing should be a surprise *fingers crossed*. Wink

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 2 2013, 8:55pm)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 2 2013, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 8 (593 views)
Shortcut
Which is why [In reply to] Can't Post

TABA should come out summer 2014. I mean, really, its just the Hobbit people. I can read it in about 6 hours probably. Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 2 2013, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 8 (579 views)
Shortcut
In some parts of the world [In reply to] Can't Post

it will come out in summer 2014.

Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 10:43pm

Post #5 of 8 (461 views)
Shortcut
I bet the Talking Purse [In reply to] Can't Post

That they will end up doing some filming next summer. Wink

It's hard for me to believe that they have figure out all the kinks in TABA before DoS is finished. Knowing how they worked in the past being my only evidence...

HECK, they even filmed some stuff while working on the ROTK EE summer/fall 2004.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Jul 2 2013, 10:43pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 10:59pm

Post #6 of 8 (440 views)
Shortcut
None are planned [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows though what will happen. The problem is that these pickups were planned and the cast was locked in to this time from the get go. There's nothing in place for next year so that becomes problematic if the actors have stuff scheduled. In order to plan on pickups next year that would need to be planned now. There's way too many people to try and get them together at the last minute. It involves way too much planning. It's the crew, the catering, you name it all the way up to the actors. It's a lot of planning and that planning would have to be done now. My guess is they will see what they have in the can at the end of these pickups. If something needs to be planned for next year they would have to plan that as soon as they finish.

Also you have to remember the films were originally planned with a Summer 2014 release for TABA. That has now been pushed out to December (which is a very good thing I think) so they planned the pickups with that in mind. That having been said it does give them some leeway but not a lot. NZ is far away for most of the cast to come running back and that needs a lot of planning to take place. If it isn't being planned now I really don't see it happening. Just my 2cents.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 3 2013, 5:47am

Post #7 of 8 (315 views)
Shortcut
That is the plan [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel quite confident the production will end up doing pickups, however, there are a lot of key actors that would need to be available. It tells me much of the third film is already edited and it tells me they can use digital characters as well if needed.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

nhui06
Rivendell

Jul 3 2013, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 8 (156 views)
Shortcut
Doing it now [In reply to] Can't Post

When they decided to go with 3 films, I am pretty sure they already knew what stories to expand or include, so they are filming everyone at once right now, and then will spend the rest of the time doing the sound, cgi shots etc... No need for even more pick ups. PJ likes to shoot all his films at once.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.