Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Taking Soundings:
Are you comfortable with Radagast dying?
Poll: Are you comfortable with Radagast dying?
Yes, it explains his absence in LOTR 3 / 4%
Yes, I don't like Radagast 2 / 3%
I don't really care if he lives or dies! 8 / 12%
No, I really like Radagast 17 / 25%
No, it wouldn't be canon (Tolkien never says what happens) 37 / 55%
67 total votes

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Able Seaman

Jul 2 2013, 2:20pm

Post #1 of 20 (413 views)
Shortcut
Are you comfortable with Radagast dying? Can't Post

Since there has been considerable speculation that the brown wizard may die I thought this poll would be appropriate. So are you comfortable with Radagast dying?

Lothwen
Cabin Boy

Jul 2 2013, 2:25pm

Post #2 of 20 (266 views)
Shortcut
No, I wouldn't want him to die because [In reply to] Can't Post

He is in LotR; they just left him out the movies.Frown So I voted no, it wouldn't be canon.

Darkstone
Captain

Jul 2 2013, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 20 (282 views)
Shortcut
Only if he comes back as Radagast the Beige. / [In reply to] Can't Post

demnation
Rigger

Jul 2 2013, 5:21pm

Post #4 of 20 (304 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

For reasons I can't really explain, this change would bug me more than all the other changes they have mad combined.

JWPlatt
Boatswain

Jul 3 2013, 4:15am

Post #5 of 20 (222 views)
Shortcut
Poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really. But if it gets rid of the walking poo stain on Middle-earth, I guess that's the price we have to pay.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Able Seaman

Jul 3 2013, 9:42am

Post #6 of 20 (187 views)
Shortcut
As Lothwen said [In reply to] Can't Post

He is in LOTR, he simply doesn't appear in the movies. On first viewing Fellowship of the Ring, I imagined that Gandalf had sent the moth to bear a message to Radagast, who in turn sent the eagle to rescue him. It was a nice moment that could be interpreted one way by fans who know the lore and another way by fans who only know the movie.

I would be disappointed if Radagast died as it would be a huge contradiction of canon. The movies are already on shaky ground on that front. I also am pretty fond of the character so I wouldn't want to see him turned into cannon fodder for the sake of a dramatic death scene.

arithmancer
Boatswain

Jul 3 2013, 12:31pm

Post #7 of 20 (201 views)
Shortcut
No, I really like Radagast! *book spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

And (with Kili) he is my son's favorite Hobbit character. So I want *one* of those two to make it out of the third film alive!

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Able Seaman

Jul 3 2013, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 20 (170 views)
Shortcut
Just to be clear [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Radagast is in the FotR book, I read it. I meant it explains his absence in the LOTR movies.

RosieLass
Quartermaster

Jul 3 2013, 7:16pm

Post #9 of 20 (168 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't die in the book, and the fact that he doesn't appear in the LOTR movie doesn't need explaining. IMO

malickfan
Gunner

Jul 7 2013, 10:22pm

Post #10 of 20 (146 views)
Shortcut
What Lothwen said [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no need to kill him off, even if I'm not the biggest Mcoy Fan

FlameOFtheWEST
Swabbie

Jul 8 2013, 1:33pm

Post #11 of 20 (123 views)
Shortcut
No death [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't think he needs to DIE, but have his part become a little more important please.

dik-dik
Able Seaman

Jul 9 2013, 4:06pm

Post #12 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
I hope Radagast doesn't die... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I kind of like Radagast (I'm missing that option in the poll ;) ), I'm just not too fond of certain things about his characterisation and appearance. But I certainly hope he doesn't die, he's one of the most interesting characters in the movie for me.

Maciliel
Sailing Master

Jul 9 2013, 8:16pm

Post #13 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

hopefully radagast can hire a good janitor to get that guano off of his face.

cheers --

sevilodorf
Gunner

Jul 10 2013, 3:49pm

Post #14 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
No/ [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Sailing Master

Jul 11 2013, 12:01am

Post #15 of 20 (89 views)
Shortcut
I cannot say, yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have no confirmed information regarding the circumstances, cause of death, or any hint of plot regarding this (I know some speculate about his staff being in Gandalf's possession in the vlog, but I'm leaving that out now because it's all too uncertain right now).

If it happens, I'll have to do some thinking about it. But until then, I have no good answer here, lol.

angelclaw
Powder Monkey

Jul 14 2013, 5:30pm

Post #16 of 20 (83 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I have much less of a problem with PJ & Co. leaving characters out entirely, or killing off their own made-up characters, but to kill a Tolkien character (a wizard, no less!) who should've lived to see the Fourth Age would really irk me.

I bet PJ really wishes he could go back and give Radagast a scene or two in LOTR now that he's become a major character in TH, but I hope he doesn't feel like he has to explain it away by killing him off instead!

dubulous
Rigger

Jul 14 2013, 7:28pm

Post #17 of 20 (77 views)
Shortcut
I feel fairly indifferent... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in the movie verse his death would be acceptable because he was never even mentioned in the LOTR movies and therefore needs to be written out in a definitive way by the end of The Hobbit trilogy. Also, even though Radagast doesn't die in the books, it is established at least that the Istari can be killed.

sam90
Able Seaman

Jul 16 2013, 7:44pm

Post #18 of 20 (96 views)
Shortcut
Of course not! [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson did a mistake while making LOTR, he should have shooted this little sequence with Gandalf and Radagast. It could have been added to the EE. This was about 2 or 3 minutes top.

So, he decides to put Radagast in The Hobbit, I wasn't not confortable at first with this idea but I came to term with it as long as it was not interfering too much with the story. But Radagast dying? What for? I see no point in doing so. Not only is it completely out of context with regard to Tolkien's work but it has nothing to do with The story of The Hobbit. Radagast does play a role in LOTR! Even if we don't see that in the films. I am increasingly ill at ease with the growing presence of The brown Wizard. If PJ did want him in LOTR, why on Earth does he exploit the character in total contradiction with this tale?

I hope this will remain a rumour and goes no further. I will be very disappointed.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 16 2013, 7:47pm)

Patty
Captain

Jul 18 2013, 11:53am

Post #19 of 20 (49 views)
Shortcut
My response is a combination of yours, JWPlatt and the one above yours. [In reply to] Can't Post

This change would upset me more than anything. But I wish they would have him come to a council meeting at Rivendell or Lorien and have him take a bath in either the waterfalls (for the strength of the falling water as a cleaner) or a long session in the Anduien to get that crap off. It's distracting.

JWPlatt
Boatswain

Jul 20 2013, 9:13pm

Post #20 of 20 (57 views)
Shortcut
Capricorn One [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...I think in the movie verse his death would be acceptable because he was never even mentioned in the LOTR movies and therefore needs to be written out in a definitive way by the end of The Hobbit trilogy.

So Radagast should retroactively die because Jackson & Co. failed to foresee a need for him in The Lord of the Rings? This is ridiculously akin to the situation in the movie, Capricorn One, where NASA fakes a mission to Mars with three astronauts when they discover just before launch that it won't work. The real unmanned capsule burns up during reentry due to a faulty heat shield. So the government decides to kill the astronauts who are still hidden away on Earth to save face.

Killing off Radagast because of a writers' omission is the same reprehensible situation.

But like I said, killing him off to cure his poo problem is entirely justifiable. Maybe in the fan edit. Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 20 2013, 9:18pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.