Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sebastian was only 'mostly' dead...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 6:00pm

Views: 51
Shortcut
Sebastian was only 'mostly' dead... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes Gandalf's revival is a different sort of thing, but it was similar to what I was talking about so I thought I'd use it as an example. I'd also like to add that the Radagast scene is probably not strictly a "resurrection" either. Radagast draws the darkness (or witchcraft) out of the creature with his stone, restoring its health in this way. But since the creature, in effect, died and was brought back to life, it is very similar to "resurrection" and is definitely not necromancy.
And in reply to Elizabeth, yes Jackson makes his own rules sometimes, but I don't think that he would have Radagast or any other good characters practicing necromancy when one of the main antagonists is called the Necromancer. That's why I wanted to clear up the difference between necromancy and resurrection. I think the filmmakers may be trying to do the same thing (possibly) with the hedgehog scene (and perhaps some other scenes) to show that good characters can bring the dead back to life in a real way whereas the necromancer does it in a twisted and evil form. That's the way I'll take it at least, because otherwise the hedgehog scene is kind of random and unnecessary IMHO (unless it was just a way to show Radagast's love for animals.)

The way I see it, Sebastian was only clinically dead, just as a person can be clinically dead and not beyond revival. If he had been all dead then the only thing that Radagast could have been done would be to turn him into a (talking?) purse (since Sebastian had no pockets to search in for loose change).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 3 2013, 6:01pm)

Subject User Time
Will Gandalf die? [spoilers] QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jul 1 2013, 8:28pm
    Yes, Gandalf will die ... in FotR VoronwŰ_the_Faithful Send a private message to VoronwŰ_the_Faithful Jul 1 2013, 8:42pm
        But don't worry - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 1 2013, 9:11pm
            Wow, that's a shock! VoronwŰ_the_Faithful Send a private message to VoronwŰ_the_Faithful Jul 1 2013, 9:13pm
        Like! Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 2 2013, 9:17pm
    No Greypilgrim Send a private message to Greypilgrim Jul 1 2013, 9:30pm
    No, I'm sure he won't dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 1 2013, 10:16pm
        Nice post dormouse! burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Jul 3 2013, 3:04pm
    Of Course he will malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jul 1 2013, 10:57pm
    Never gonna happen flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Jul 2 2013, 12:48am
    nope kbdiggity Send a private message to kbdiggity Jul 2 2013, 3:21am
        In case you missed the news story back in January: DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 2 2013, 7:20am
            Well I guess Gandalf won't die then burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Jul 3 2013, 2:53am
    duh! of course he dies didn't you know?? MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 2 2013, 8:02am
    of course he will trqn13 Send a private message to trqn13 Jul 2 2013, 8:27am
    Not gonna happen Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jul 2 2013, 4:37pm
    I believe that both Il˙vatar and Tolkien burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Jul 3 2013, 2:55am
        Jackson plays by his own rules. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 3 2013, 5:07am
            Again, I must agree with Elizabeth. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 3 2013, 6:20am
                You are correct burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Jul 3 2013, 3:00pm
                    Sebastian was only 'mostly' dead... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 3 2013, 6:00pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.