Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Reminder re submissions to the TORN Amateur Symposium

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Jul 1 2013, 7:08pm

Post #1 of 24 (609 views)
Shortcut
Reminder re submissions to the TORN Amateur Symposium Can't Post

Just a reminder that the submission deadline for your essays to our first TORn Amateur Symposium is looming!!
Please submit your pieces by the end of Sunday 14th July
A reminder how to submit- preferably as a document attachment to tornamateursymposium@gmail.com We will also accept submissions as document attachments to a Private Message to the TAS TORn account (ie this one!). The essays will be seen by Brethil, DanielLB and Elaen32, just to check formatting and to ensure there are no major typos. We will not be acting as editors, so please ensure that your essay does not breech the TORn user guidelines.
We will be sending PMs to any of you who have given us a title,but have not yet submitted, just to confirm that things are on track. To any of you who have not been aware that this is going on and who have something they would like to submit, you can still submit to this Symposium, but we are also planning another in late October/early November
Looking forward to reading and discussing your essays
Elaen, Brethil & Daniel

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2013, 7:24pm

Post #2 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
thank you : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen, brethil, daniel!

thank you so much for doing this.

you guys are always wonderful and friendly and kind, and this is a great opportunity for folks to have fun and stretch their wings.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 24 (324 views)
Shortcut
Aww, thanks Maciliel [In reply to] Can't Post

We've enjoyed it so far and it's certainly opened my horizons a bit! Still trying to complete my own essay- there's just too much good stuff to comment on!Smile

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 1 2013, 10:29pm

Post #4 of 24 (313 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Telpemairo! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
elaen, brethil, daniel!

thank you so much for doing this.

you guys are always wonderful and friendly and kind, and this is a great opportunity for folks to have fun and stretch their wings.

We are thrilled to get this started - we cannot wait to read everyone's ideas, since we know we are in the company of so many clever friends! AngelicSmile

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
Dosen't look like I will be submitting anything, but I'm looking forward to seeing what evryone else has come up with [In reply to] Can't Post

I did try to edit/change/dramtically shorten my essay on Cirdan as suggested (already been seen in several forms by quite a few people on the site anyway) but when I realised my intro was almost the word limit in itself I gave up! (The essay has a habit of growing everytime I look at it roughly 22,000 words at one count), none of my other ideas amounted to anything more than rough jottings, so looks like I'll be giving July a miss.

In anycase, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with, and my sincere thanks to you guys for your hard work over the pst few weeks! Good Luck, should be fun Smile

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 12:22am

Post #6 of 24 (305 views)
Shortcut
Check out the footer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't put the logo on since the footer photo, has to be uploaded from a website apparently. Will have a play another time

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2013, 12:34am

Post #7 of 24 (289 views)
Shortcut
Nice Elaen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Am going to ditto it in mine. Sweet idea!!!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 2 2013, 2:06am

Post #8 of 24 (281 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice advertisement! Smile

Do you have an account on someplace like Photobucket where you could put the photo and load it from there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2013, 7:27am

Post #9 of 24 (277 views)
Shortcut
To whet people's appetites ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be writing a piece titled: "Humans vs Nature: The Loss of the extensive Forest in Lindon and South Eriador".

It turned out to be more speculative than I had hoped, since Tolkien gives a definitive answer as to why some of the forest was lost. However, I think there is enough real-world evidence to suggest that sudden climate change (caused by the sinking of Beleriand) was also responsible.

Smile

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 11:00am

Post #10 of 24 (260 views)
Shortcut
Excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

Im really excited about this event and luckly I just managed to find this post since I didnt know anything about it until today ...

Im really interested in submittig an essay however I still need to decide which one and make sure it complies with the maximum word limit!Laugh

Just as a question, can the essay be an analysis on something particular of Tolkien's world or does it have to be more generic and cover a wider aspect beyong the author? For example, one of my articles is about 'The Military structure and ranking system of Mordor' ...

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 11:21am

Post #11 of 24 (257 views)
Shortcut
tas-folk : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

tas-folk, hallo : )

i just realized that your originating post (unlike one of the previous posts about the symposium) doesn't have the details or guidelines about who can post, word count, essay topics, or anything like that.

perhaps you could ask the kindness of a powerful moda to edit the original post, to add these things (especially since, i believe, posts from other boards are getting redirected here)?

just some kindly meant thoughts for you on this brand-new morning.

many cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 11:22am

Post #12 of 24 (252 views)
Shortcut
Hi Arandir [In reply to] Can't Post

And glad you're interested in posting something. The title you mentioned is just fine. Anything with a connection to Tolkien's work is what we are looking for, with a personal point of view. It could be an analysis of a character or theme in the books, or a wider world view such as yours or Daniel's titles.
Look forward to reading your piece!
Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 11:27am

Post #13 of 24 (250 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Mac! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realised this as I replied to Arandir. I'm out and about using my phone, so not so easy to do anything at the moment. Will sort something a bit later unless one of the others picks this up before then
The original thread is now on page 3 of the RR for those who want a look in the meantime.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2013, 11:35am

Post #14 of 24 (256 views)
Shortcut
Click here for submission details and deadline dates [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the original announcement thread, which contains all the information required. Some of the information has changed then, so the most up-to-date instructions can be found here and also below:

A brief reminder
Please send in your essays or other written work 500-2000 words on Tolkien related topics. These are a little different from the usual posts in that they reflect our personal approaches to Tolkien's world through the prism of our own interests, jobs etc. For example, Daniel, who (as most of us know) is a meteorologist, is writing about an issue on climate in Arda. I am a medic and am writing on concepts of healing in Arda. In other cases, people are writing character studies on those not so frequently discussed, or comparing and contrasting the natural world of Arda to our own, for example. There are as many topics out there as there are people on the boards, but do not be put off submitting because you think somebody else might be writing on the same topic. It's virtually guaranteed that there will be different points of view which will make discussion more interesting

How To Post
This has changed a little since the instructions on last week's post since we not only have this TAS id, but also a TAS email address
1) Please submit your pieces via the TAS email address, which is tornamateursymposium@gmail.com
2) If possible, submit your pieces as Word or other document format attached to your email, rather than in the body of the email
3) PM to the TAS TORn account will also be accepted

Brethil, DanielLB and me elaen32 all have access to the email account and to the TAS account and will be reading and responding to emails/postings and queries on a rota basis

When To Submitt
Don't panic yet - the closing date is JULY 14th- so some time yet!! If you have already told us you are going to submit something, but realise you are not going to complete it in time, please let us know as soon as you can. We are planning another symposium in the autumn and you can always submit your work to that one. Obviously we do need as many as possible this time too! If you are working on something but haven't already let us know your topic, it is not too late, so please continue!

Queries
If you have queries or concerns, please send a PM via the TAS id- it will be read by Brethil, Daniel or me, depending on who is "on duty" to look at these and we will answer as soon as possible. Please try and give us a little time to respond, since we may be at work or not otherwise in a position to give an immediate answer. If, however, you think that your query would be of more general interest to others, then you can also post it as a reply to this, or subsequent TAS threads.

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 11:36am

Post #15 of 24 (237 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Daniel, that's great!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 11:38am

Post #16 of 24 (236 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 11:42am

Post #17 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

until you can work with a moda to edit the originating post, i will direct folks to the post made previously with all the details...

hey all! the torn symposium (that's just a fancy handle for "a thoughtful opinion") is coming!

do you have an opinion about tolkien's writing that you want to scribble down and share?

here's how....join in -- we'd love to have you!!!!

how to participate in the fantastic, torn symposium -- all are welcome

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2013, 1:42pm

Post #18 of 24 (231 views)
Shortcut
You've all been busy ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whereas I was still lazily sleeping...excellent post Daniel, to get all the information in one place! Smile

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 10:10pm

Post #19 of 24 (218 views)
Shortcut
That sounds very intriguing (glad to see your Geography Degree crosses over to TORn!), but I'm a little dissapointed Daniel... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Surely this was the perfect oppurtunity to explore The Talking Purse's awesomeness in greater detail? Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2013, 10:20pm

Post #20 of 24 (213 views)
Shortcut
Very good idea Malickfan! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Surely this was the perfect oppurtunity to explore The Talking Purse's awesomeness in greater detail? Wink

He will have to cover that next time...maybe the Philological Origins of Purse-speak...

On a side note, if you have any isolated ideas/themes about Cirdan, we'd love to see them too - I know your entire work is large but your ideas are so wonderful. (Now did Cirdan ever run into the Talking Purse...?) Sly

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 10:38pm

Post #21 of 24 (200 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...perhaps he did [In reply to] Can't Post

We know he was a member of the White Council (Though he apparently couldn't be bothered to show up at The Council of Elrond...perhaps he had the hots for Galadriel?), and close friend of Gandalf so perhaps the two went on a camping trip during a elvish tea break at Rivendell, and resuced the purse from sixty years of boredom by his lonesome-perhaps that explains Cirdan's reluctance to speak guilty conscience?

I think its proably best if I stay away from the Cirdan essay (the equivalent of ten seperarate ones) for a while (every time I look at it I add stuff-only last week did it hit me Nowe his original name is very similar to Noah-another very famous Boat Builder in touch with God...).

Someone should PM Daniel with that idea about 'Purse Speak'...

Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2013, 8:51am

Post #22 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
I'm saving that essay for a very special occasion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

It involves a lot of reading in to this enigma - and Tolkien clearly leaves traces of him throughout Middle-earth's history. I suspect he had something to do with the disappearance of the two Blue Wizards. And remember that white cat of Queen Beruthiel? It was no ordinary white cat!

Cool

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Jul 10 2013, 1:01pm

Post #23 of 24 (153 views)
Shortcut
*Closing date reminder* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a reminder that submission of essays closes on Sunday 14th July. Since we're all spread across different timezones, there is no specific time for submission and will be lenient.

We will post a thread on Sunday 14th July confirming that submission has closed. In this thread, we will confirm submitted essays - including titles and authors (we've had 8 essays submitted already!)

A reminder of how to submit your essay:

1) Please submit your pieces via the TAS email address, which is tornamateursymposium@gmail.com
2) If possible, submit your pieces as Word or other document format attached to your email, rather than in the body of the email
3) PM to the TAS TORn account will also be accepted

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM (or email us). As always, if you cannot submit in time, do not worry - we are planning another symposium in the autumn/winter and you can always submit your work to that symposium.

After the closing date, there is a one week reviewing period. During this time, we'll contact all authors that have submitted making sure if any edits are required. We *will* accept late submissions, but would obviously prefer if people could submit on time. Anything after Saturday 20th July will, unfortunately, not be accepted. Authors will be able to check/edit their essays at anytime (again before 20th July), and we will send them a link to their essay as well.

On Sunday 21st July, the first TAS will take place. All essays will be posted by us (either in separate or joint threads, TBC). All essays are hosted on GoogleDocs, so al link will be provided. There will also be an official TAS thread, welcoming everyone, and providing links to each of the different essays.

On Sunday 4th August, there will be a follow-up feedback thread. As part of the symposium structure, we are always interested in ideas on what can (or should) be done, and what may or may not have worked. Feel free to tell us what you thought about the structure of the symposium, and any problems you experienced through this process. We will also tell you about the next TAS and provisional dates.

We're really looking forward to this, and we hope you are too. We've had some great essays in, and look forward to the discussions that will arise.

The TAS Team
(elaen, Brethil and Daniel)

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Jul 13 2013, 9:18am

Post #24 of 24 (159 views)
Shortcut
*scribble scribble scribble* [In reply to] Can't Post

Or should that be *type type type*

Remember, submission for the very first TORn Amateur Symposium closes ~tomorrow(*) (14/07/2013 or 07/14/2013). We will accept late submissions (up to 20/07/2013) if you let us know ASAP. A closing thread will also be posted ~tomorrow(*), with essay titles and authors.

Now, get typing!

Smile

TAS Team

(* As said above, there is no set time, since we all live in different time zones).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.