Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Laketown Thread?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 1 2013, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 11 (548 views)
Shortcut
A Laketown Thread? Can't Post

There are many wonderful concepts that can be
Explored with Laketown.
1. Medieval Town, sorta of a "Bree times 10"?

2. Do you expect it to be sorta Filthy?
...Like London in the 14th Century?
Tossing garbage into the Lake?

3. It should be a bit of a reflection
of the Master, and a bit corrupted?

4. The Changes in Attitude towardes the Dwarves will be interesting,
since at first they are Really Excited that the King under the Mountain
has returned to their Eventual Scorn of the Dwarves
later when Smaug destroys it; with the Crowd filled with Hate?

5. Tolkien didn't really delve too deeply into their culture,
which leaves PJ plenty of opportunity to explore their mind-sets.

6. The Intial Celebration Party when Bilbo's delivers "Thang you Berry Buch"
line, could be Exotic Middle European (Hungarian, maybe?) dancing, songs, and Speaches..

7. Bomby has thought that Bard & Bain house Bilbo while he gets over his Cold,
and we get some BackStory about the Black Arrow?
It could be displayed over the Mantle in their Home,
and when things get tight, Bard sends Bain to run through Town on Fire... to retrieve it?
Kids the World over would be cheering for Bane to make it!

We need a child HERO!

Bomby

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 1 2013, 2:27pm

Post #2 of 11 (264 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to the music [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm expecting great things from Shore for the score of the second film. Now that we have left the parts of Middle Earth covered in the Lord of the Rings films, I hope to hear some interesting new themes.

I also really hope for a few more songs, particularly "The Mountain King's Return".

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 1 2013, 2:45pm

Post #3 of 11 (263 views)
Shortcut
There had been some discussion of Lake-town... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it seems to have dropped off the page. Apparently Peter Jackson's Lake-town is closer to the surface of the water than Tolkien depicted it--perhaps as a result of the lake levels rising over the last few decades.

We will see much more of Bard (including his son Bain) than we did in the book. Over all, I think this is a good thing, but I'm a bit anxious over how he will be written and portrayed. I have similar concerns about the Master of Lake-town.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2013, 3:42pm

Post #4 of 11 (214 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps we will see a man emerge out of an alley, hair wet, eating a carrot, and belching.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 4:32pm

Post #5 of 11 (187 views)
Shortcut
Good thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

From the pics I've seen, it looks a little bit shabby around the edges, a far cry from the older and greater town it was derived from, and the Master is certainly derivative. He's like the lesser master of greater ones past, though he views himself as a great person. Sort of like some of the freak show politicians we get in the US.

Stephen Fry has that unlikeable aura as an actor, I jut hope he doesn't ham it up too much.

I agree it's like Bree x10. It's a trading culture, distributors for the dwarven kingdom reduced to selling whatever they can to whomever they can.

I wonder about Bard and the Black Arrow. I hope it doesn't sidetrack the story too much to see more of him, but they did a good job with Theoden/Eowyn, and Faramir, so I expect it will flow more like those characters were introduced. Seems from there trailer there's a lot of tension already during the sendoff, with the whole 'if you wake that beast, etc...'

As far as kid heroes go, I'm okay with that. It's a little cliche now, but it could be done well.

elostirion74
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 7:46pm

Post #6 of 11 (141 views)
Shortcut
good questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of Lake Town mostly as a traditional trading town, rather picturesque, in a more medieval style. I think of the main parts as looking quite traditional.

I´d like its trading town characteristics to be displayed in small glances, people from different parts meeting, doing deals, hanging about, gossiping.

I prefer the mindset of the inhabitants to be reflected in the actions and interaction of the characters we see in the town, the Master and his chief supporters, not in the look of the city itself. I would definitely not prefer the look of the town to reflect the corruption of the Master, seems like a superficial angle to follow IMO.

I´m looking forward to seeing the eruption of euphoria and wild optimism when they are contemplating a return to the golden old days. If this part of the book is used, it should be fun to watch.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 8:34pm

Post #7 of 11 (127 views)
Shortcut
So more questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Bard has a son, who's his wife? What happened to her? He must be 'grim' because of what did happen.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 11:23pm

Post #8 of 11 (104 views)
Shortcut
Bree and Laketwon [In reply to] Can't Post

So far Laketown looks wonderful. One can imagine that the town has become a little shabby since the advent of Smaug. People being afraid to trade so near the mountain, etc. But I hope it does not take on the Bree vibe. Bree was my least favorite set in FOTR. It was too dark and dirty and unfriendly. That was not the picture Tolkien painted of it. The Prancing Pony was supposed to be welcoming and homey. Making Bree dirty and dark was a cheap way of telling the audience that it needed to be afraid for the hobbits.

T_Meyers
Bree

Jul 2 2013, 3:51pm

Post #9 of 11 (66 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Laketown reminds me of Singapore from POTC: AWE. Albiet, its better looking, but still :-/

"Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide." - ERIC ELMOOR AND THE GAUNTLET OF GODRIC

"One final word……….. Tolkien and Rowling’s [books] will be family favourites for years to come and if book one of Tommy's [series], Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric, is anything to go by he will be joining these great authors!" - comment by Orchard Book Club

Book 2 of the Eric Elmoor Saga, "Eric Elmoor and The Chalice of Cameron," is coming soon!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 11 (67 views)
Shortcut
Laketown looks fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Call me a lazy reader, but I never really had a good mental image of Laketown while reading the book. I mostly just thought of it in its flaming-Smaug-attacked state, to tell the truth.

However, from what we've seen of it in the trailer and vlog, it looks amazing! It's stunning how 'lived-in' it looks - so old and weathered, with the walkways and posts smoothed by constant contact with the water. And the ice in the water!! Possibly my favorite detail of all.

I'm excited to see Bain! I always like getting a glimpse of the characters' families and homes. To me it makes those characters deeper, since we know more of their motives and why they are doing what they are. "I only love that which they defend," after all.

Plus, I just thought it was very detail-oriented of PJ to include Bain (who is only ever mentioned once in LOTR that I can recall) when they could have ignored him entirely. Now we get to see another facet to Bard. Otherwise, non-readers might just remember Bard as 'that guy who shoots the dragon'. Unsure

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 2 2013, 10:06pm

Post #11 of 11 (49 views)
Shortcut
Im surprised nobody's [In reply to] Can't Post

been able to upload any of the scenes from the April DoS preview, it had good Master and laketown scenes I believe. Come on Warner Bros., release the whole footage already!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.