Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Necromancer with 4 fingers on one hand?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 30 2013, 12:29am

Post #26 of 29 (109 views)
Shortcut
Fair point. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My impression is that people who read the books first tend to think of the Eye of Sauron as a construct for the actual Sauron. While people who saw the movies first assume the Eye IS Sauron because it's all they see of him for two movies.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 1:38am

Post #27 of 29 (106 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's intention was what we were discussing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Tolkien most likely never intended for Sauron to be a giant flaming eyeball, and that the "Eye" he wrote about was a metaphor for Sauron's will, rather than a description of his physical state.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 3:33am

Post #28 of 29 (92 views)
Shortcut
Physical form [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what counts as a physical form? I assume it means an elemental body like in the prologue of FOTR. What about the Nazgul? They technically don't have physical forms right? Put some armor on them and voila they are very much an illusion of physical. So Sauron will be shown as a body shape and maybe even wear armor but not have flesh and blood and thus still be within continuity. To me it is obvious that he can be shown.

Also, this would work regardless if he really was the eye(tranformed after Dol Guldur conflict) and especially it works if he was not the eye.

Doesn't the eye count as "physical" though? A normal human could see it.

(This post was edited by The Mitch King on Jun 30 2013, 3:39am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:53am

Post #29 of 29 (95 views)
Shortcut
In the books [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron was never physically an eye, the Eye of Sauron is a projection of his will on the minds of others. At least one self proclaimed and published author on the subject of Tolkiens mythology thought the eye was his Third Age physical form. Maybe he should have read a bit more Tolkien before he started writing about his work.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jun 30 2013, 5:56am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.