Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Things you´re looking forward to in Desolation of Smaug

elostirion74
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 20 (812 views)
Shortcut
Things you´re looking forward to in Desolation of Smaug Can't Post

After the discussion based on the snippets and reviews from Empire, I thought it would be nice with a change of perspective.

Based on what you have read or heard from interviews, or from what you´ve seen in the teaser trailer etc: which things are you particularly looking forward to see in Desolation of Smaug?

I know that I´m looking particularly forward to seeing the part in Beorn´s house: partly because Richard Armitage have said so many favourable things about the set and partly because I think this set will have some of the same origins - although simpler - as the wonderful set of Meduseld in LoTR.

I also have high hopes for seeing Bilbo take on the Spiders: the short bits we got in the teaser trailer were definitely exciting.

Based on the teaser trailer I´m also particularly positive about seeing the Elvenking´s halls, which I thought were absolutely beautiful, and seeing a meeting between Thranduil and the dwarves. Lee Pace brings so much to the role with his voice and bearing and gives the wood-elves the weight their role in the story deserves.

Last, but not least, I´m very excited about the dwarves approaching Erebor and staying in the desolation of Smaug. The wintry look PJ & co. seems to have chosen for this area looks very striking and appealing and can lend a lot of atmosphere to this iMO crucial part of the story.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 8:46pm

Post #2 of 20 (470 views)
Shortcut
The silence of the critics // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 20 (441 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's house and marveling at the scale they put together in doing it. I remember some of the early vblogs showing it. can't wait to see it.

Mirkwood in all it's creepiness

The naming of Sting. Bilbo finding his courage, taking on the spiders and saying "Attercop Attercop can't find me".

The barrels and escape from Mirkwood

Laketown. Can't wait to see that along with the Master and Bard.

Erebor. In all it's now destroyed yet regal state along with the ruins of Dale.

And of course, Bilbo's "riddling" with Smaug.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 20 (400 views)
Shortcut
Most of all, probably: [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn and his house, and really anything else to do with this character.

More Thorin, Balin and the other Dwarves.

More Gandalf at any point!

Thranduil (and his Elk).

The locations, such as Erebor, Lake Town and Thranduil's domain.

Bilbo's confrontation with Smaug.

I'm also curious to see Stephen Fry in his role – but hope it is not too gross, visually!

GloryBox
Bree

Jun 28 2013, 10:00pm

Post #5 of 20 (354 views)
Shortcut
Bees, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would so love to get a glimpse of Beorn's bee-pastures and see Bilbo's reaction to the giant bees with "bands of yellow on their deep black bodies [that] shone like fiery gold". I have such high hopes for all the Beorn scenes!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 10:30pm

Post #6 of 20 (370 views)
Shortcut
Dream [In reply to] Can't Post

on.

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 28 2013, 11:22pm

Post #7 of 20 (310 views)
Shortcut
*win* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 11:26pm

Post #8 of 20 (306 views)
Shortcut
More 48 fps! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it the first time. It made the movie a real event (I mean, it was already, but it was beyond fabulous looking).

Noria
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 11:58am

Post #9 of 20 (195 views)
Shortcut
More HFR - me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the 48 FPS in AUJ - it changed my attitude towards 3D.

I'm very much looking forward to Thranduil, purely based on what I've seen so far.

Same with Smaug - I think he looks great and the enhanced pieces from the trailer make me believe the talking will work.

I'm looking forward to all the iconic moments from Bilbo's story: the spiders, the escape from the Elves, his encounter with Smaug etc. I could do without the Attercop stuff but will roll with whatever PJ does with that.

And I'm curious about where the Gandalf /White Council plot line is going.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 29 2013, 1:17pm

Post #10 of 20 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yes!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

If at all possible I want to see the movie for the first time in 3D HFR. (Sadly the nearest theater to me that offered it was an hour away, but I can hope that will improve, or that I will have time opening weekend to plan to see the movie there.)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 5:03pm

Post #11 of 20 (179 views)
Shortcut
What I'm looking forward to most [In reply to] Can't Post

1. SMAUG!
2. Thorin's face-off with Thranduil (I'm in the Thorin camp, but can't wait for this particular moment, and hope Thranduil is as arrogant and nasty as I suspect he'll be)
3. Smaug!
4. The barrel-riding scene - the snippets we've seen look great!
5. Beorn and his house! (although I really hope he doesn't have the animals serving food)
6. Bilbo's encounter with Smaug
7. Bilbo finding and pocketing the Arkenstone
8. The dwarves' entry into Laketown
9. Hearing Benedict's voice as Smaug!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jun 29 2013, 5:07pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 20 (166 views)
Shortcut
Oh, if only........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 5:17pm

Post #13 of 20 (161 views)
Shortcut
This is going to be awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 BIG FREAKING DRAGON - yeah Cool ... dragon rampaging, dive-bombing, gloating ... fun stuff
#2 Mirkwood coming to life
#3 A glimpse of Laketown and its people
#4 Bilbo filling out the role of "Burglar" beyond Thorin's hopes or expectations (or maybe just up to expectation this time - going beyond in the next one most likely, will be so sweet)
#5 White Council facing down the Necromancer ... and Saruman's sneakiness in the whole endeavor

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 5:57pm

Post #14 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
The moment when the music starts and it's all about to begin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and the butterflies

Beorn and his house

Smaug

Bilbo and Smaug

The Elvenking's halls

The story I know and the new story as well

And especially, because he's been a hero of mine for so long, the Elvenking (hooray!)

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 12:48am

Post #15 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
The whole stinking thing :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:34am

Post #16 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
I can only pick a few? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, well, then let's see...

I really, really want to see more of the Lonely Mountain. The gorgeous shots of it, inside and out, really blew me away in the AUJ prologue and were what sold me on the movie even before we got to the "Good morning" scene. The mere thought of the hidden door and Durin's Day has me giddy with excitement. And I fully expect the piles of gold and the ginormous dragon sitting on top of them to be absolutely spectacular.

I'm really curious to see what they'll make of Thranduil, too, and from what we've seen of his halls in Mirkwood in the trailer I think I'll really like them a lot, too.

Beorn! I think we're all anxious to see Beorn. What I really want to know is if he'll still have his bee-pastures? You mightn't believe this, but my brother has bees, and in one of his bee books The Hobbit is seriously qutoed - the section where Gandalf is talking about Beorn's house, and mentions that they are on the edge of his bee-pastures. It'd be mid to late summer by the time they get to Beorn's house, though, so I don't know what all flowers would be blooming for the bees, but I'd love to see that regardless.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:51am

Post #17 of 20 (87 views)
Shortcut
Same as me plus ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo and the butterflies

Beorn and his house

Smaug

Bilbo and Smaug

The Elvenking's halls

The story I know and the new story as well

And especially, because he's been a hero of mine for so long, the Elvenking (hooray!)

I also want to see how the Durins Day / thrush / secret door scene works out ... it is a prophecy after all

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 6:37am

Post #18 of 20 (88 views)
Shortcut
Clearing things up [In reply to] Can't Post

ESPECIALLY the Thrain stuff!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 6:50am

Post #19 of 20 (87 views)
Shortcut
Even those who like the film? // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 7:51pm

Post #20 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
Whose guesses were the most accurate [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be fun. A lot of us have made guesses as to what will happen and what we will see. I am looking forward to seeing which of these guesses and how many of them pan out. I am also looking forward to seeing things none of us imagined and being surprised by them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.