Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Dwarves Personality Types?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 5:27pm

Post #1 of 20 (777 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarves Personality Types? Can't Post

With 13 we get a little of Everything!
From BookWorm to BattleScared..

This was the Biggest Embellishment yet!

Allows any person to
Idenitfy with at least ONE!?

Who do you Identify with?

Bomby picks Balin.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 28 2013, 5:29pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 20 (434 views)
Shortcut
I identify with all of them...nearly [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur becuase he eats alot, is out of shape and dosen't say an awful lot (I really know how to sell myself as a person!)

The one Aidan Turner played coz he can't grow a beard

And Bofur because its Jimmy Nesbitt (how can you not warm to him?)

The only one I didn't particulary 'get' was Thorin, too heroic for me.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 6:13pm

Post #3 of 20 (397 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems cultured, and cares about his brothers.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 8:19pm

Post #4 of 20 (336 views)
Shortcut
I identify most with Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Because he harbours doubts about the wisdom of the venture and looks at things from a very logical angle.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 10:49pm

Post #5 of 20 (294 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that I "identify" with any of them, or maybe it's more that feel sympathetic towards nearly all of them. I feel like I dentify with them as a people, if that makes any sense. In some ways they almost seem the most "real" out of any of the races of ME we've seen in the movies(though I do like Bilbo more than I liked any of the LOTR hobbits, to be honest I used to clock watch waiting for them to get off the screen so we could get to the "good stuff" LOL, don't get me wrong I think they all did a fine job acting but I really didn't feel anything for any of them they were just there to move the plot along, whereas I genuinely want to spend time with the dwarves, which is probably why all the focus on the bloody elves in the promo material makes me testy:)

But favorites would probably be Kili and his upbeat, open, hopeful nature and eagerness to please, Bofur and his sense of humor and warmth, Balin and his wisdom and kindliness, for some reason I really like Oin but I can't quite put my finger on it:).

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jun 28 2013, 10:52pm)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 11:11pm

Post #6 of 20 (295 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I most identify with Fili, the protective older sibling--although I suspect I am probably in reality more like geeky bookworm Ori or fussy mother-hen Dori! Crazy

I relate to Fili's lighthearted and somewhat nave view of the world too, and, like Fili, I rather admire a certain Thorin Oakenshield. Although probably not quite in the same way. Angelic

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 11:35pm

Post #7 of 20 (283 views)
Shortcut
Probably Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to be quiet, but have mischievous side too, like Fili.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 11:49pm

Post #8 of 20 (268 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually for myself I would say Dwalin. I admire fierce loyalty.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 12:41am

Post #9 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a mix of Bofur and Kili/Ori with maybe a little bit of Dori on the side Laugh

marillaraina
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 12:47am

Post #10 of 20 (252 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

But favorites would probably be Kili and his upbeat, open, hopeful nature and eagerness to please, Bofur and his sense of humor and warmth, Balin and his wisdom and kindliness, for some reason I really like Oin but I can't quite put my finger on it:).

Now that I look at it, I think they all have a bit in common, maybe even Oin. :) Kili, Bofur and Balin all seem to be open-hearted and protective.

They were all particularly accepting or kind to Bilbo, which, I think given he's the title character, probably is meant to be particularly telling about their personalities. I know for me watching the film even the first time it was something that made me feel I was getting to know something important about them.

Kili and Bofur are also given scenes where they are shown as protective towards Bilbo. Balin speaks in an understanding way to Bilbo. And while it's not a big thing, Kili sticks up for Bilbo when they are arguing about him at the table in Bag End. There's the Stone trolls and in Rivendell, Bofur pulls Bilbo towards the center of the group.

I'm just saying thinking about it, I realize how in some ways their relationships with BIlbo shape part of how I see them, even though Bilbo isn't even my favorite character. In Kili's case in particular it shows traits that might not otherwise have had a chance to show so early in the films, because in a way it shows an independent streak, despite his obvious eagerness to please Thorin, whom he clearly practically hero worships, and a protective streak he might not otherwise have had a chance to show, because it's not just towards someone he knows and loves, but someone he's just met, which might be easily expected in someone older and more experienced but not necessarily in someone relatively young and naive.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jun 29 2013, 12:49am)

iduna
Rivendell

Jun 29 2013, 2:32am

Post #11 of 20 (241 views)
Shortcut
I identify with Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone has to kick butt and take names. Protecting the people you care about -- that's too important a job to trust to luck.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 4:36am

Post #12 of 20 (207 views)
Shortcut
I like how you think Iduna! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

iduna
Rivendell

Jun 29 2013, 7:14pm

Post #13 of 20 (158 views)
Shortcut
Likewise, Brethil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 7:50pm

Post #14 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... probably Fili. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili's the protective older brother who tries to keep Kili safe and who does a double-take when Kili starts talking about orcs but joins in on the joke anyways... Yeah, Fili. As an oldest sibling myself, I can relate to the feeling of having to look after young ones and deal with all of their shenanigans. Not to say that I have not had any shenanigans myself... Wink

I'd also have to say Ori, since he's such a lovable little baby geek Dwarf. I'd also be the one in the back of the room scribbling away in my notebook after the party winds down and wanting to go on an adventure even through I might not be very prepared for it!

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 9:39pm

Post #15 of 20 (133 views)
Shortcut
I'll go with Bifur [In reply to] Can't Post

I like his reserved personality and would enjoy tinkering and toy-making too. His axe injury has changed him a bit, but he strikes me as naturally quiet and calm. At the party, he was thinking what I would probably have as well: Enough partying for now, we need to get down to business...so where is Thorin anyway*?

*based off his Khuzdul line to Gandalf: "Our leader is not here"

(This post was edited by Eye's on Guard on Jun 29 2013, 9:40pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:27am

Post #16 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Being the oldest son and having no kids ... just some rambuncious nephews and neices ..

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 12:29pm

Post #17 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

what it would be like to join them on their journey. I suppose I would naturally turn to Balin for words of comfort and wisdom when I was feeling scared and lonely, I would turn to Kili and Fili when I wanted to joke around and be noisy and boisterous, I would turn to Oin if I needed some tincture for a poorly tummy, he would have some camomile tea for sure, and maybe some lotions for insect bites. Dwalin would probably be useful to stand next to if there was a surprise Orc attack, Ori would probably have some books stashed away when I felt like perusing maps of Middle Earth to figure out where the heck we were. Bofur would be great for campfire tales of long ago and far away, Dragons and Elves. Thorin I would look up to and be careful of not irritating, in case he growled. But Bilbo would be my friend.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jun 30 2013, 12:29pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 12:40pm

Post #18 of 20 (89 views)
Shortcut
And my rrrrrrrrrabits [In reply to] Can't Post

would help you warm up when its cold outside.Smile

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 8:10pm

Post #19 of 20 (66 views)
Shortcut
Balin, my love [In reply to] Can't Post

He is one of my favorites in the book and he doesn't disappoint in the movie. So gentle and thoughtful and kind. Loves his brother. Doesn't mind being a little overweight but is pleased to tell you he is not getting shorter with age. He seems to have a gently comic side, usually shown non-verbally. He is loyal and scholarly. And I love his costuming. The costume designer did a fabulous job with him.

elostirion74
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 3:04pm

Post #20 of 20 (48 views)
Shortcut
very interesting question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you I enjoyed the details that were added to each dwarf, one of the most successful aspects of the adaptation so far. I don't know if I identify specifically with one dwarf, though, mostly mostly because the majory seem so much tougher and boisterous than anyone I'd ever identify with. Still there are some I sympathize more with than the others. Dori, who seems quite cultured, but also slightly sensitive to criticism, is one. Bofur, with his genuinely warm-hearted, accepting and friendly approach, is another. Such a lucky dwarf to be so genuinely relaxed about himself, being able to mix friendliness, caring about others and a fun-loving attitude in such an easy way.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.