Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The actual attack

Yngwulff
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 8:33am

Views: 46
Shortcut
The actual attack [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The battle itself is very distinctly separated into phases that could offer brief respites in themselves.

1. You have the final hurried council and laying of the defenses
2. The initial skirmishes
3. The main attack and counterattacks from the defenses
4. Goblins flank the mountain defenses
5. The general action, Thorin wounded, Beorn appears, Bolg and/or goblin commanders are killed, eagles arrive, etc.

Now the one thing I pretty sure will change is that I think we'll see Thorin in the action much earlier than described in the book. There's no way to resist the cinematic need to have one of your main character missing for 3/4ths of the action. So, all of the above is based off of the book, so it's pure conjecture.

Although it fits with his feud with the other allies, I won't mind if they change this to have him involved sooner, with more dwarves at his back. The book description always seemed a little odd to have a dozen dwarves all by themselves charge into a battle with thousand on the field. Yes, they're great warriors, but it's not like there's twelve superheros involved. Yes, they were joined by others, but it's not like he's leading even a hundred dwarves out of the Great Gate. If a dozen dwarves do a suicide charge to take out Bolg and senior goblin commanders, that's one thing. I don't see Thorin interested in a banzai charge except when all seems lost (#4)

I'm really interested to see what the scope and sizing of this action will be. Will it seem like a massive action? Counting up the book numbers, it could be less than 3000 good guys against maybe 10K goblins that are lousy quality. It's not really the scale of Minas Tirith, but it could be made to seem so.

I agree and the actual attack will be in 4 stages

The bats to darken the skies
The warg riders come howling in like banshees
The goblin horde comes into the vale in a frenzied mass goblin wave attack
Bolg and his big bad bodyguard and the goblins scaling up the back of the mountain

Wiki estimated 1000 elves, 300 laketown men, and 500 heavily armed and armored dwarves, many veterans of the dwarf/goblin wars vs 6000 to 15000 goblins and wargs.

What does this resemble? Tolkien was most definately a student of history, perhaps it was his Middle Earth version of Thermopylae???

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Subject User Time
BOFA Pacing Flame of Udun Send a private message to Flame of Udun Jun 28 2013, 3:58pm
    At this point, there shouldn't be anything else of note taking place... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jun 28 2013, 4:06pm
        The Eagles Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Jun 28 2013, 6:03pm
            On Beorn AncalagontheBlack Send a private message to AncalagontheBlack Jun 28 2013, 6:30pm
    Maybe AncalagontheBlack Send a private message to AncalagontheBlack Jun 28 2013, 4:08pm
    This would be a good opportunity Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jun 28 2013, 4:59pm
        Hear hear! Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jun 28 2013, 5:02pm
    The battle itself Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jun 28 2013, 5:15pm
        The actual attack Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jun 30 2013, 8:33am
    Beorn DuBekar Send a private message to DuBekar Jun 28 2013, 6:52pm
        Life Size Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jun 28 2013, 8:40pm
        Love that picture AncalagontheBlack Send a private message to AncalagontheBlack Jun 28 2013, 8:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.