Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Laying the Azog zombie rumour to rest?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 12 (809 views)
Shortcut
Laying the Azog zombie rumour to rest? Can't Post

I hesitate to start yet another thread on Azog, but having just flicked through my copy of the Weta Chronicles on Creatures and Characters, the section "Concerning Orcs" seems to confirm that Azog did not die from his wound at Azanulbizar,

http://i574.photobucket.com/...Orcs_zps19a62932.jpg

"but while the Dwarf survivors of that day believed Azog dead, in truth he lingered on, recovering his strength and replacing his severed limb with a jagged metal proxy. the thought of revenge upon Thorin and the final destruction of the line of the Longbeards gnawed at Azog, but he bided his time until late in the Third Age, when the emergence of the Necromancer and commencement of the Thorin's Quest to retake Erebor saw him lead a troop of hunters in a chase across Middle-earth in pursuit of the Dwarven Company.

The article also gives the official line on the relationship between the Dwarves and Orcs of the Misty Mountains, saying that the Dwarves went to war against them in an effort to eradicate them from beneath the mountains both call home, while the Orcs and their smaller Goblin cousins are drawn to the Dwarves' delvings, coveting their wealth and the work of Dwarven hands.

There is definitely no mention of the Balrog in all this, though...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 1:42pm

Post #2 of 12 (360 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we will be seeing any zombies in these films [In reply to] Can't Post

To quote Saruman, "No such power exists in this world."

I think the closest things we will see are the wraiths.

Still crossing my fingers for a balrog reference in the EE or DoS, though!

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy to lay this silly rumor to rest once and for all... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO its definitely one of the more far-fetched bits of speculation we've seen here on TORn. I've lost some faith in PJ after his alterations in AUJ, but I never believed he would go so far off-track as to insert zombie orcs into an adaptation of one of Tolkien's books.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 28 2013, 2:00pm)

Noria
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 3:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yes please... [In reply to] Can't Post

lets lay this rumour to rest. There is plenty of other stuff for those so inclined to worry about.Wink

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:11pm

Post #5 of 12 (227 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the book and assuming they based the narrative along with the character art from the script, its safe to assume Azog survived Azanulbizar.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

but what about Bolg?

And...is Thorin included in the "longbeards" club?Wink

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
Amazing how rumors spread [In reply to] Can't Post

Zombies are just popular right now. It was clearly a case of read the rumor and fit the facts to match the rumor.

Now, that said, who's to say that Guillermo Del Toro might not have exploited the horror aspects more and included this idea? Then what would all his supporters say?

Escapist
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 12 (184 views)
Shortcut
uncertainty [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows what GDT's take on it would have been or if Azog would have made it to the final movie cut - especially if it were 2 instead of 3 movies?
Who knows if zombies are a reasonable interpretation of things like "Necromancer" and nazgul and barrow-wights?
Who knows what orcs even are to begin with? Are they already a kind of zombie? Could they be zombies?
Who knows? How much did Thorin know? How much did he assume? How easy was it for him to believe something to be true just because he wished it so?

I guess that in general, JRRT left the devices of the enemy veiled in shadows that upped the ante on mystery and anticipation. Sometimes not understanding something just makes it extra scary. Actually knowing the details about all the midichlorions and how they work doesn't always add to the story.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 28 2013, 5:42pm

Post #9 of 12 (204 views)
Shortcut
Azog might not be a zombie, but what about all the other zombie rumours? ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Including zombie Smaug, zombie Thrain and zombie Moth?

Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 7:33pm

Post #10 of 12 (166 views)
Shortcut
I'm more worried about [In reply to] Can't Post

Zombie DanielLB.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 12 (145 views)
Shortcut
Especially as..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he forgot to mention the zombie purse. A dead give-away! Wink

Rostron2
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 8:41pm

Post #12 of 12 (129 views)
Shortcut
The purse was more like a ghost [In reply to] Can't Post

It was invisible.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.