Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS-Trailer song featured in movie?

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur

Jun 28 2013, 10:58am

Post #1 of 4 (495 views)
DoS-Trailer song featured in movie? Can't Post

Hey guys I rewatched the DOS trailer today and after that I looked for the track featured in it. It is called "Age of Dragons" and is composed by audiomachine exclusively for this trailer. I think that was mentioned before at some point.

They produce music for motion picture advertising/trailers and their work was also featured in the second AUJ-trailer. I have to note that those tracks already existed while "Age of Dragons" is completely new. They official announced:

Audiomachine is thrilled to announce that we were selected to create a special composition for the new teaser for 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug'

So why did Peter/Warner asked THEM to produce a new track EXCLUSIVELY for this trailer?
They could have used any other track by audiomachine or other trailer music composers, they could have used AUJ bits or LOTR ones. Why asking them? Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed this track and that's why I could imagine that it will be featured in the movie at some point. It sounds a little like Howard Shore and it would fit wouldn't it? There is a returning leitmotif in it with different variations. It is possible.

Would you like to hear a Howard Shore adaptation of "Age of Dragons" by audiomachine in DOS as he did with "Misty Mountains Cold" by Plan 9 in AUJ?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Jun 28 2013, 11:58am

Post #2 of 4 (260 views)
No and no [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no chance of it being in the film I'm afraid. Personally I'm glad, since I thought it was generic and uninspired. I think it was quickly apparent it wasn't something Shore had come up with. Even though Plan 9 developed the tune for 'Misty Mountains', the theme was something Shore made his own in the AUJ teaser.

Shore needs as much creative freedom as possible with DoS and TABA, and I sincerely hope he gets it.

Jun 28 2013, 12:52pm

Post #3 of 4 (213 views)
I didn't like it [In reply to] Can't Post

It did not seem like a Howard Shore piece of music appropriate to this sequence of films, and assumed it had just been used because the music for DoS is not yet ready.

Jun 28 2013, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 4 (170 views)
Please no... [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is pretty synthetic which works for trailers and very contemporary-theme films, but it has nothing to do with Shore's soundscape for Middle Earth which is completely organic.

There's been many movies for which music have been composed for their trailers. One of them was the second trailer for AUJ, just as here now. The goal is not to distract mainstream audience with the music, as happened with the first Man of Steel couple of teasers which featured "the fall of Gandalf" from Shore's FOTR score.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.