Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two-Film Version

Jun 27 2013, 3:03pm

Post #1 of 4 (815 views)
Two-Film Version Can't Post

Hi all!

I'm curious as to what all we know about the Hobbit when it was only two films. I know the split point was going to be the barrels scene (apparently alongside a large-scale attack on Mirkwood?), but what all do we know about scenes that were shot and cut out when it became three films, or scenes that weren't there originally but were shot as pickups when the expansion was made.

I seem to remember seeing a thread about this before, but I can't for the life of me find it. Help would be awesome. Thanks!

Jun 27 2013, 10:02pm

Post #2 of 4 (289 views)
The two-film version went through two distinct phases [In reply to] Can't Post

The original plan was to adapt the book as a single film with the second as the so-called bridge film. I can only imagine that the White Council arc would have been part of the second film.

When the bridge film concept was dropped, it was decided to expand the book adaptation into two films (later three). As you note, the original climax to part one was to be the barrel escape from the Wood-elves. I'm not sure exactly what was altered or added to make An Unexpected Journey the first part of a trilogy, but the commentary tracks and other bonus material in the Extended Edition should fill in the gaps.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 27 2013, 10:02pm)

Jun 27 2013, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 4 (236 views)
Yay! EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SO looking forward to the commentary from . . . whomever! Dean and Aidan anyone?? Richard and Martin? Combination of ANY of the other dwarves - hopefully more than 2?! Multiple commentary tracks???!

Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 11:06pm

Post #4 of 4 (214 views)
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that you mention it, I think the original 2 film plan is likely the reason we (apparently, based on the trailer and the Empire article) have Elves chasing Orcs and/or barrels of Dwarves to Laketown. That was originally the big action climax of Movie 1 of 2.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.